Insulation eating urchin!

  • Thread starter Thread starter Auquanut
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 11, 2018
Messages
5,279
Reaction score
24,057
Location
Mexico, Mo
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few days ago, I saw my pincushion urchin on the power cable where it meets my power head. I thought "Right on! Go at it big guy!" Yeah. He sure did. The little jerk ate all of the coraline off and continued through the black insulation, exposing the white insulation underneath! As I said, that's been a few days ago. Since then he seems to be fine. As a matter of fact, he has a smug, self-satisfied look about him. Has anyone else had an urchin sabotage their equipment like this?
 
A few days ago, I saw my pincushion urchin on the power cable where it meets my power head. I thought "Right on! Go at it big guy!" Yeah. He sure did. The little jerk ate all of the coraline off and continued through the black insulation, exposing the white insulation underneath! As I said, that's been a few days ago. Since then he seems to be fine. As a matter of fact, he has a smug, self-satisfied look about him. Has anyone else had an urchin sabotage their equipment like this?

I’ve had my long spine come close.
 
Sounds believable. There was another member here who had one begin to bore through the side of their tank (I believe it was plywood coated in a sealant? but can't find the thread).
 
Sounds believable. There was another member here who had one begin to bore through the side of their tank (I believe it was plywood coated in a sealant? but can't find the thread).
Yeah. I remember seeing that. Seems like that was a rock boring urchin. I really like the urchin, and he does a great job. But if he keeps this up, I think we'll need to have a little talk.
 
I'm having the same issue. Do you find any solutions?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 7.5%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 18.4%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 50 34.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 6.8%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 6.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 21 14.3%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 10 6.8%

New Posts

Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new