Insurance Implications for Aquarists

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad you are ok! Sorry to hear about the damages!

This is actually a pretty good article that provides a great general overview on what to consider when looking for insurance. I'll chime in too and happy to help answer peoples questions. My background; I currently work in personal insurance sales managing an office for a larger company. I am licensed in personal insurance sales, and I am no longer licensed as an adjuster, however, in the past I've also managed property claims teams. My by the book advice is that if you think you have a claim, contact your insurance company. Even if you are not covered, they often can get you in contact with licensed contractors who can help you with your repairs.

In insurance, like most things in life, you do get what you pay for and it's all about how you are going to manage risk in your life. Inexpensive insurance isn't necessarily bad, its just not suitable for what one person to the next has to protect. When it comes to risk management, you often have to find a balance between the value you need for coverages and what you can afford. In a perfect world we'd all have significant savings set aside and not even need insurance, but even then, insurance is still an affordable way to recover from a catastrophic loss.

Remember that insurance is designed to get you back to your pre loss conditions, it is not meant to make you better off than before and each state has differences because it is regulated at the state level. Your insurance policy is a contract, full of legal verbiage, which adjusters utilize to determine if based off of the cause of loss if you have coverage or not. My best piece of advice is that I highly recommend those interested in learning more about what they are or are not covered for download a PDF of their homeowners or renters policy, and start doing a keyword search using the "control f" search function. Having a better understanding of your coverages will help out when you are talking with your agent - be it with someone in person, through an agent or broker, online or through a call center. Every avenue is going to have different people with different experience levels. I work in a local sales office, and have a bias to say we are going to be more knowledgeable than the 1-800 call center or if you purchased something online without ever talking to someone, but I do know that there are a significant amount of great sales people who work in call centers and make a good living doing so. To each their own, most of us on this forum get advice from one another and don't always talk to anyone in person when building their tanks, so something to consider.

So if you have a loss, now what? If you ever have a submit a claim for a loss, contact your carrier, they will assign an adjuster, the adjuster is going to gather details of the loss, review your policy and determine if you have coverage for your loss. The insurance adjuster will (and should) provide you a letter explaining why you are or are not covered. If the letter isn't written properly, details can be vague and even if properly written, will likely be full of legal jargon. So if you do not understand, and your adjuster isn't doing a good job, I would personally ask to escalate to a manager for a better explanation. I have, at times, reviewed coverages in further detail, and had to go back to the adjuster and point out where they had coverages, and would often have our legal team get involved to determine if something was unclear to verify if there was or wasn't coverages. Some companies even have an executive team designed to provide a more detailed written explanation of this. Depending on the severity of the loss, you may be dealing with an adjuster over the phone or in person. If that doesn't get you anywhere, and really at any time, you can get a legal representation, just know that once you do, your attorney is now the one the company will talk with so if you call in yourself you might not get any answers.

Its challenging to go through what if claims situations. Every person's claim is usually unique and has a different reasoning towards it. However, I'm happy to give one example a shot. So lets say my new red sea reefer, 160 gallon bursts randomly in my living room, and I come home seeing the disaster. Searching through my homeowners policy, nothing is specifically stated about an aquarium. So where to begin in determining your coverage? So the next thing I looked up using control F to key word search was "water", as well as "overflow". When searching, I found the verbiage the adjuster would provide me with, which was that the loss has to be "sudden and accidental", and cannot be from a long term issue (like seepage.. most companies don't cover if its been over 14 days and will deny your claim) and then I found what was excluded. Exclusions usually provide more details on if you have coverage or not. Reading through the exclusions section, I came across this part which reads:
"2. If items 1.f. through 1.p. above cause water damage which is not otherwise excluded, we cover the resulting water damage, including the cost of tearing out and replacing any part of a building necessary to repair a plumbing, heating, air conditioning or automatic fire protective sprinkler system or household appliance. We do not cover loss to the system or property that causes it to damage or appliance from which this water escaped." there are also different areas discussing water losses which also state something similar, without mentioning items 1f-1p (no need to list them, just using this as an example)

This is essentially saying, if my tank bursts, the resulting water damage and the cost to repair my house is covered. Coverage limits and the deductible apply. My tank and all its inhabitants, having suddenly and accidently burst at the seams, are not covered. Cost of the dry out, floor replacement, and likely any personal items around the tank will likely be covered. The tank, equipment, stand... will most likely not be covered. With that said, every claim situation is unique, their could be specific circumstances why something is or is not covered.

Also, in some situations, your insurance company may or may not be able to try and build a case against a manufacture defect, and if they win, can help you get your deductible back, and some companies will then note that your claim was "subrogated" . Essentially, in this case of a burst tank, subrogated means the insurance company sued the manufacture for the defect, won its case, got the money it paid to you for your repairs back. This can take a pretty long time, though this is important, as some companies factor this in determining your future rates and may be able to remove subrogated claims. This is not always the case, and is really up to the insurance company on how they underwrite their policies.

Hope some of this info helps others here trying to navigate the insurance world. One last thing, when looking through your policy, don't forget to look through your endorsements at the end! these can change coverages for you. Sometimes this is good, sometimes its not good. Don't overlook this!
-Eric

Great post and a good description of how insurance works!

I think the big difference is asking your insurance company or an agent whether the tank itself is covered or if the resulting damage from the tank would be covered either from the personal property or liability standpoint (for those living in multi family homes).

3rd party liability is more likely to be fully covered unless fish tanks (or water filled furniture) are specifically excluded.

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had to file 2 claims involving my tanks.
Both times, the insurance company, (one of the biggest, if not the biggest), paid out the claims without issue to my downstairs neighbor.

They only will cover dammage as a direct result of my negligence, not the tank or any equipment involved. They wouldn't pay if a tank burst or a controller malfunction etc...

I basically had to either take blame or fabricate the story a bit regarding what happened to let the flood fall my mistakes, not physical property malfunctions.

But if my refrigerator exploded and did damage, it would be covered. Crazy.

They paid for the resulting property damage and liability (to your neighbor) but not the tank? Was the tank leak specifically excluded?

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad you are ok! Sorry to hear about the damages!

This is actually a pretty good article that provides a great general overview on what to consider when looking for insurance. I'll chime in too and happy to help answer peoples questions. My background; I currently work in personal insurance sales managing an office for a larger company. I am licensed in personal insurance sales, and I am no longer licensed as an adjuster, however, in the past I've also managed property claims teams. My by the book advice is that if you think you have a claim, contact your insurance company. Even if you are not covered, they often can get you in contact with licensed contractors who can help you with your repairs.

In insurance, like most things in life, you do get what you pay for and it's all about how you are going to manage risk in your life. Inexpensive insurance isn't necessarily bad, its just not suitable for what one person to the next has to protect. When it comes to risk management, you often have to find a balance between the value you need for coverages and what you can afford. In a perfect world we'd all have significant savings set aside and not even need insurance, but even then, insurance is still an affordable way to recover from a catastrophic loss.

Remember that insurance is designed to get you back to your pre loss conditions, it is not meant to make you better off than before and each state has differences because it is regulated at the state level. Your insurance policy is a contract, full of legal verbiage, which adjusters utilize to determine if based off of the cause of loss if you have coverage or not. My best piece of advice is that I highly recommend those interested in learning more about what they are or are not covered for download a PDF of their homeowners or renters policy, and start doing a keyword search using the "control f" search function. Having a better understanding of your coverages will help out when you are talking with your agent - be it with someone in person, through an agent or broker, online or through a call center. Every avenue is going to have different people with different experience levels. I work in a local sales office, and have a bias to say we are going to be more knowledgeable than the 1-800 call center or if you purchased something online without ever talking to someone, but I do know that there are a significant amount of great sales people who work in call centers and make a good living doing so. To each their own, most of us on this forum get advice from one another and don't always talk to anyone in person when building their tanks, so something to consider.

So if you have a loss, now what? If you ever have a submit a claim for a loss, contact your carrier, they will assign an adjuster, the adjuster is going to gather details of the loss, review your policy and determine if you have coverage for your loss. The insurance adjuster will (and should) provide you a letter explaining why you are or are not covered. If the letter isn't written properly, details can be vague and even if properly written, will likely be full of legal jargon. So if you do not understand, and your adjuster isn't doing a good job, I would personally ask to escalate to a manager for a better explanation. I have, at times, reviewed coverages in further detail, and had to go back to the adjuster and point out where they had coverages, and would often have our legal team get involved to determine if something was unclear to verify if there was or wasn't coverages. Some companies even have an executive team designed to provide a more detailed written explanation of this. Depending on the severity of the loss, you may be dealing with an adjuster over the phone or in person. If that doesn't get you anywhere, and really at any time, you can get a legal representation, just know that once you do, your attorney is now the one the company will talk with so if you call in yourself you might not get any answers.

Its challenging to go through what if claims situations. Every person's claim is usually unique and has a different reasoning towards it. However, I'm happy to give one example a shot. So lets say my new red sea reefer, 160 gallon bursts randomly in my living room, and I come home seeing the disaster. Searching through my homeowners policy, nothing is specifically stated about an aquarium. So where to begin in determining your coverage? So the next thing I looked up using control F to key word search was "water", as well as "overflow". When searching, I found the verbiage the adjuster would provide me with, which was that the loss has to be "sudden and accidental", and cannot be from a long term issue (like seepage.. most companies don't cover if its been over 14 days and will deny your claim) and then I found what was excluded. Exclusions usually provide more details on if you have coverage or not. Reading through the exclusions section, I came across this part which reads:
"2. If items 1.f. through 1.p. above cause water damage which is not otherwise excluded, we cover the resulting water damage, including the cost of tearing out and replacing any part of a building necessary to repair a plumbing, heating, air conditioning or automatic fire protective sprinkler system or household appliance. We do not cover loss to the system or property that causes it to damage or appliance from which this water escaped." there are also different areas discussing water losses which also state something similar, without mentioning items 1f-1p (no need to list them, just using this as an example)

This is essentially saying, if my tank bursts, the resulting water damage and the cost to repair my house is covered. Coverage limits and the deductible apply. My tank and all its inhabitants, having suddenly and accidently burst at the seams, are not covered. Cost of the dry out, floor replacement, and likely any personal items around the tank will likely be covered. The tank, equipment, stand... will most likely not be covered. With that said, every claim situation is unique, their could be specific circumstances why something is or is not covered.

Also, in some situations, your insurance company may or may not be able to try and build a case against a manufacture defect, and if they win, can help you get your deductible back, and some companies will then note that your claim was "subrogated" . Essentially, in this case of a burst tank, subrogated means the insurance company sued the manufacture for the defect, won its case, got the money it paid to you for your repairs back. This can take a pretty long time, though this is important, as some companies factor this in determining your future rates and may be able to remove subrogated claims. This is not always the case, and is really up to the insurance company on how they underwrite their policies.

Hope some of this info helps others here trying to navigate the insurance world. One last thing, when looking through your policy, don't forget to look through your endorsements at the end! these can change coverages for you. Sometimes this is good, sometimes its not good. Don't overlook this!
-Eric

a lot of people don’t realize that filing claims can have adverse consequences. and simply calling your insurance company to talk about s potential claims situation, can result in a claim being filed even if the customer doesn’t request it, or if the company doesn’t even pay out. so never file a claim unless it’s absolutely necessary. once you file a claim for any insurance type you are costing that company money, and you’re a risk.

our local agents create a lot of problems for us. i’m glad we use a rating system when we need to refer customers to them.

ESH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a lot of people don’t realize that filing claims can have adverse consequences. and simply calling your insurance company to talk about s potential claims situation, can result in a claim being filed even if the customer doesn’t request it, or if the company doesn’t even pay out. so never file a claim unless it’s absolutely necessary. once you file a claim for any insurance type you are costing that company money, and you’re a risk.

our local agents create a lot of problems for us. i’m glad we use a rating system when we need to refer customers to them.

That’s correct, if you call your claims center, they don’t deal in what if situations. If you report a claim then it’s going into the system. If it’s below deductible or you lack coverage for the loss resulting in a denied claim, or in the insurance world often termed closed without settlement, then your insurance claims history is going to show a $0.00 claim filed in your name. This will likely impact your future premiums you pay with any carrier. With that said, if you think a loss is minor or below your deductible call a contractor to get an estimate first. most people with home owners have $1000 or a percentage of their homes coverage A( your dwelling) which can be pretty significant.

Water claims are no joke, and it’s not always as simple as towels and a fan. The increased cost comes from the fact that the water mitigation team needs a few days to dry everything out, and if there is enough damage through multiple levels can result in a lot of dry wall getting ripped out and replaced. If not done properly and timely can result in mold. Homes are not like cars, everything is basically custom.

If your loss caused damage to someone else, then yes, your liability will kick in. Usually both parties file the claim, and the insurance companies work it out who pays for what. Each state has its own laws regarding how this works. Condo policies usually have a master policy that may or may not kick in. Most condo policies pay for the studs inwards so make sure you have the right coverages and enough liability coverages.

Sorry to hear your local agents give you issues. Never ran into that issue here.

cromag27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s correct, if you call your claims center, they don’t deal in what if situations. If you report a claim then it’s going into the system. If it’s below deductible or you lack coverage for the loss resulting in a denied claim, or in the insurance world often termed closed without settlement, then your insurance claims history is going to show a $0.00 claim filed in your name. This will likely impact your future premiums you pay with any carrier. With that said, if you think a loss is minor or below your deductible call a contractor to get an estimate first. most people with home owners have $1000 or a percentage of their homes coverage A( your dwelling) which can be pretty significant.

right. which is why i don’t agree with your advise of “if you think you have a claim, contact your insurance company.“. absolutely do NOT do that! can’t tell you many people i talk to every day that don’t realize claims have been filed in situations where nothing was ever done, and now they’re paying a higher price because of it.

If your loss caused damage to someone else, then yes, your liability will kick in. Usually both parties file the claim, and the insurance companies work it out who pays for what. Each state has its own laws regarding how this works. Condo policies usually have a master policy that may or may not kick in. Most condo policies pay for the studs inwards so make sure you have the right coverages and enough liability coverages.

this is correct.

Sorry to hear your local agents give you issues. Never ran into that issue here.

no, every insurance company that has local agents, has that issue.

Last edited:

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
UM - I didn't disagree with you - I said - having a written trail of what is covered/not covered is better than a phone call.. again - no more no less

actually that’s not what you said at all.

So - All I was saying is that communicating by phone is a 'he said-she(or he) said situation'. If I communicate it by email - its much more clear. No more no less.
. POST 24.

Maybe (and I agree with you if you are) - you are recommending confiriming with the insurance company whether such damage is covered - If so I would do it in Email - not on the phone - which was the main point starting out...
Post 22

The context of what I was saying is (only) - if you are having a discussion with your agent - whether it comes to what is covered in your policy, how much your deductible yes, etc (i.e. anything) - its best to do it in writing - rather than over the phone. I agreed with you that just because you have something in writing from the agent doesn't guarantee that the company will pay - but it may make it more likely. When its in writing there is no misunderstanding. And - whether you agree or not, agents CAN be held responsible for what they represent to clients negigently- even if its not in the fine print of the policy.

cromag27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UM - I didn't disagree with you - I said - having a written trail of what is covered/not covered is better than a phone call.. again - no more no less

. POST 24.

Post 22

The context of what I was saying is (only) - if you are having a discussion with your agent - whether it comes to what is covered in your policy, how much your deductible yes, etc (i.e. anything) - its best to do it in writing - rather than over the phone. I agreed with you that just because you have something in writing from the agent doesn't guarantee that the company will pay - but it may make it more likely. When its in writing there is no misunderstanding. And - whether you agree or not, agents CAN be held responsible for what they represent to clients negigently- even if its not in the fine print of the policy.

then you talked about suing and blah blah blah. lol. you’re still wrong. i know you’ll still try to argue, even with what you posted earlier. i understand that’s your jam. so have fun with it.

G_Sanab922

Keys Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it is a good idea to have a relationship with your broker/agent but again, they don’t handle claims. their job is to sell you insurance and make money.

also fyi, you pay extra fees and commissions when dealing with a local agent vs direct.
It's always beneficial to have a good relationship with your independent agent. With our good clients who aren't trying to screw the system we always try to go to bat for them when it comes to claims. Always try to go above and beyond to assist and put pressure on the insurance company, but in most cases if the claim is legitimate then you shouldn't have any issue with a claim being paid out fairly.
Regarding the extra fees and commissions for local agents vs. going with direct, that might only apply for your company and it's different from company to company. For example, you can buy a progressive policy with an agency or progressive direct. Progressive direct isn't always cheaper than the price with the agency and vice versa. Rates are constantly changing for both.
Also, not every company allows people to get a direct quote with them. So you won't know you are getting the best deal on the market until you call a local agent. ;)

Just a note for everyone:
Insurance is there to replace what has been damaged by a covered peril. It is not a "maintenance policy".
Other than the policy, one thing that affects how a claim will go is how you treat your claims adjuster. If you are rude and nasty with them they will take extra long, won't be as generous in the claim payout and makes the process a bit more complicated. Being respectful and nice can go a long way.

Water claims are no joke, and it’s not always as simple as towels and a fan. The increased cost comes from the fact that the water mitigation team needs a few days to dry everything out, and if there is enough damage through multiple levels can result in a lot of dry wall getting ripped out and replaced. If not done properly and timely can result in mold. Homes are not like cars, everything is basically custom.

Thanks for your last two comments on here. I thing you covered the bulk of it. Was stressing out reading some of the comments lol.

Just another note I wanted to add for the Florida people. If you own a condo unit in Florida, make sure your (HO6) insurance policy has "Special Coverage A". It normally costs $50-$100 per year to endorse on your policy but will broaden your covered perils. In regards to the examples stated by others, if your aquarium leaks and causes property damage to your unit and to the units below, you won't be covered unless you have the "Special Coverage A". I cannot speak for other states, this applies for Florida policies.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
then you talked about suing and blah blah blah. lol. you’re still wrong. i know you’ll still try to argue, even with what you posted earlier. i understand that’s your jam. so have fun with it.

I also asked you to explain the rationale you were using for some of your comments because I respected you as an expert in the field (Post 21). Clearly - it is the homeowners responsibility to know whats in their policy and understand it. Generally legally, the homeowner is responsible. If, however, you are dealing with an independent agent and he/she represents something he/she can be sued under their errors and omissions policy. IF I were going to sue anyone - I would rather have an email/written trail than a phone call with my agent. Not sure where your problem with that logic is. Its better to have a 5 percent chance of winning than a 0 percent chance of winning.

There is also the issue with interpretation of the policy. If you have something in writing from an agent of the company saying that they interpret the policy a certain way - and an adjuster disagrees - I'd rather have a paper trail. None of this contradicts or argues with anything you've said.

G_Sanab922

Keys Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also asked you to explain the rationale you were using for some of your comments because I respected you as an expert in the field (Post 21). Clearly - it is the homeowners responsibility to know whats in their policy and understand it. Generally legally, the homeowner is responsible. If, however, you are dealing with an independent agent and he/she represents something he/she can be sued under their errors and omissions policy. IF I were going to sue anyone - I would rather have an email/written trail than a phone call with my agent. Not sure where your problem with that logic is. Its better to have a 5 percent chance of winning than a 0 percent chance of winning.

There is also the issue with interpretation of the policy. If you have something in writing from an agent of the company saying that they interpret the policy a certain way - and an adjuster disagrees - I'd rather have a paper trail. None of this contradicts or argues with anything you've said.

Very true.

cromag27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's always beneficial to have a good relationship with your independent agent. With our good clients who aren't trying to screw the system we always try to go to bat for them when it comes to claims. Always try to go above and beyond to assist and put pressure on the insurance company, but in most cases if the claim is legitimate then you shouldn't have any issue with a claim being paid out fairly.
Regarding the extra fees and commissions for local agents vs. going with direct, that might only apply for your company and it's different from company to company. For example, you can buy a progressive policy with an agency or progressive direct. Progressive direct isn't always cheaper than the price with the agency and vice versa. Rates are constantly changing for both.
Also, not every company allows people to get a direct quote with them. So you won't know you are getting the best deal on the market until you call a local agent. ;)

Just a note for everyone:
Insurance is there to replace what has been damaged by a covered peril. It is not a "maintenance policy".
Other than the policy, one thing that affects how a claim will go is how you treat your claims adjuster. If you are rude and nasty with them they will take extra long, won't be as generous in the claim payout and makes the process a bit more complicated. Being respectful and nice can go a long way.

Thanks for your last two comments on here. I thing you covered the bulk of it. Was stressing out reading some of the comments lol.

Just another note I wanted to add for the Florida people. If you own a condo unit in Florida, make sure your (HO6) insurance policy has "Special Coverage A". It normally costs $50-$100 per year to endorse on your policy but will broaden your covered perils. In regards to the examples stated by others, if your aquarium leaks and causes property damage to your unit and to the units below, you won't be covered unless you have the "Special Coverage A". I cannot speak for other states, this applies for Florida policies.

correct. but when given a choice, direct is almost always a better and safer option now days. older people may like to go in and talk to a live person. that’s cool. but most people now prefer online, mobile apps and even talking about insurance via social media. yes, my company does that too! i’ve seen all the analytics. local agents do make us good money but they need to make money too. how else will they keep the doors open? this entails gouging a lot of their customers. some long term customers may get a really good rate, but someone else (or many people, rather) is getting screwed to compensate for it.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
right. which is why i don’t agree with your advise of “if you think you have a claim, contact your insurance company.“. absolutely do NOT do that! can’t tell you many people i talk to every day that don’t realize claims have been filed in situations where nothing was ever done, and now they’re paying a higher price because of it.
What should you do then? If you think you have a claim? Is there a difference between calling your independent insurance agent (and asking for help interpreting/deciding whether a claim is warranted/makes sense) and the 1800 number at the insurance company itself?

G_Sanab922

Keys Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
correct. but when given a choice, direct is almost always a better and safer option now days. older people may like to go in and talk to a live person. that’s cool. but most people now prefer online, mobile apps and even talking about insurance via social media. yes, my company does that too! i’ve seen all the analytics. local agents do make us good money but they need to make money too. how else will they keep the doors open? this entails gouging a lot of their customers. some long term customers may get a really good rate, but someone else (or many people, rather) is getting screwed to compensate for it.

I'm not sure how insurance works in Arizona but from the way you are explaining it, it is completely different from Florida...
I'll leave it at that..

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm not sure how insurance works in Arizona but from the way you are explaining it, it is completely different from Florida...
I'll leave it at that..
It's different here as well. I don't understand the idea that if you use an agent 'its more expensive' but if you call the company and ask a potential question about a claim 'its more expensive' as well. The reason I have an agent is that he shops for the most inexpensive coverage for me - and is there to answer questions (without increasing my rates). To me - his 'commission' is worth it.

cromag27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll leave it at that..

explain and cite please.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

1. Agents get discounts from the insurance companies to bring that company business. Its not just the customer that pays the agents 'fees'
2. Emailing an agent is what I was talking about not 'talking to a live person'.
3. I think you're giving the perspective of 'your company' not the entire industry. Perhaps it would be nice if you 'cited and explained more' - then people would understand and you wouldn't be as angry as you seem.

Daniel Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's different here as well. I don't understand the idea that if you use an agent 'its more expensive' but if you call the company and ask a potential question about a claim 'its more expensive' as well. The reason I have an agent is that he shops for the most inexpensive coverage for me - and is there to answer questions (without increasing my rates). To me - his 'commission' is worth it.
Some insurance agents are captive, in that they can only sell that company's coverage. Some agents are independent and may represent several companies. Most independent property and casualty agents usually have a handful of carriers they write business with. There are multiple reasons for this: some carriers have certain niches they are better in than other companies, some companies may not grant an agency / agent an appointment unless they are doing so much business or other criteria, and there are only so many products an agent can keep up with effectively. An independent agent may be able to find a better deal with one of his carriers than a captive agent but not necessarily. It really depends on the company, the coverage, and the underwriting. Some companies are moving to an online model and eliminating agents. The savings potential for the company and possibly the client can be significant, as there is less overhead costs. However, there are downsides to this kind of model as well.

In regards to calling in about a possible claim, I think it may not be clear what actually happens in the property and casualty world and how this can cause problems. If you call in to your agent or insurance home office and "inquire" about your policy, it may be considered a claim or at least documented (even if you don't have a claim). These queries can lead to an insurance company increasing your rates or even dropping you. With life insurance and some other types of policies, this is not an issue because of the nature of the policy or how underwriting or pricing is handled (or regulated). With property and casualty, though, some companies treat all inquiries as reportable because from their perspective, you typically don't call about hypothetical situations. Thus, you may be flagged and deemed a higher risk leading to increased premiums. I have a good relationship with my agent, so I'm able to ask him questions without fear of him reporting that to the insurance company. But I would be very cautious about calling a home office number to inquire about a policy provision unless I was prepared to file a claim or I knew exactly how they handle general inquiries.

cromag27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In regards to calling in about a possible claim, I think it may not be clear what actually happens in the property and casualty world and how this can cause problems. If you call in to your agent or insurance home office and "inquire" about your policy, it may be considered a claim or at least documented (even if you don't have a claim). These queries can lead to an insurance company increasing your rates or even dropping you. With life insurance and some other types of policies, this is not an issue because of the nature of the policy or how underwriting or pricing is handled (or regulated). With property and casualty, though, some companies treat all inquiries as reportable because from their perspective, you typically don't call about hypothetical situations. Thus, you may be flagged and deemed a higher risk leading to increased premiums. I have a good relationship with my agent, so I'm able to ask him questions without fear of him reporting that to the insurance company. But I would be very cautious about calling a home office number to inquire about a policy provision unless I was prepared to file a claim or I knew exactly how they handle general inquiries.

correct. what a lot of customers don't realize is that when you inquire about a "potential" claim, that generally means something did happen and you're not going to be honest about it. there are up-charges on insurance quotes/policies that i like to call the 'liar, liar' surcharges. basically, if you're not honest when doing an insurance quote, that can result in higher premiums. your policy may also be cancelled by the underwriting department and rejected for future insurance policies with that company. this happens a lot in auto/mc/boat, etc. if you intend to file a claim and you're ok with the potential adverse consequences, then call your insurance company. if not, then don't call at all.

Back