Interesting 'New' LED Light

mrjoev

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would have to test these fixtures under exacting conditions. I'm impressed with both. I would have to look at PPFD values at various depths, spectral characteristics and rates of photosynthesis under various spectra. Needless to say, this can't possibly happen in just a few weeks. Many hobbyists have had successes with both brands. Wish I had a definitive answer.
Thank you for actually responding! I'm having a Star struck moment here!!! I follow and appreciate all that you have done for the reefing community. Reefi Light has a great Product.

OP
OP
Dana Riddle

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for actually responding! I'm having a Star struck moment here!!! I follow and appreciate all that you have done for the reefing community. Reefi Light has a great Product.
Lots of laughter. I'm an old man who still puts his pants on one leg at a time. But thank you!

Kevin Duprey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm getting 2 of the Extreme's delivered tomorrow for my RSR525XL. I'll be switching from a hybrid setup with aquatic life 4x48" T5 and 3 Radion XR15 pros with diffusers. I'm mostly happy with this lighting setup for growth and color, but the reduced light spill and the great spectrum of these lights convinced me to switch. That plus the aesthetic of the aquatic life hybrid setup never looked good over the rimless tank. I won't be installing them for a couple weeks, since I'm leaving on a week-long business trip to Europe Saturday, and I've learned the hard way never to make changes before a trip or vacation...
Once I have them up, I'll start another thread and link to it on this thread. Really looking forward to these lights.

LARedstickreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm getting 2 of the Extreme's delivered tomorrow for my RSR525XL. I'll be switching from a hybrid setup with aquatic life 4x48" T5 and 3 Radion XR15 pros with diffusers. I'm mostly happy with this lighting setup for growth and color, but the reduced light spill and the great spectrum of these lights convinced me to switch. That plus the aesthetic of the aquatic life hybrid setup never looked good over the rimless tank. I won't be installing them for a couple weeks, since I'm leaving on a week-long business trip to Europe Saturday, and I've learned the hard way never to make changes before a trip or vacation...
Once I have them up, I'll start another thread and link to it on this thread. Really looking forward to these lights.

Nice! I’m picking mine up today, after work. Can’t wait to get it lit up, and show it off.

lexinverts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I just got a third one and decided to swap my hydras from my RSR 750 with my ReeFis on my frag tank. My 4 hydras were not really giving me the par I wanted on my 6 foot long RSR750. Three ReeFi Extremes will be more than enough.

(As a side note, I had to buy a wifi extender to get my hydra 26s to work with wifi in the garage over my frag tank where my ReeFis worked like a breeze off the router...).

I explored several mounting options for the RSR 750 and decided that the RMS rail system would be best for my tank. ReeFi now also makes RMS rail adapters, so getting the rail mounts is now an option for these lights. The rail mount would probably work well for your RSR525.

Npo65JL.jpg

OGprySE.jpg

Kevin Duprey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! I’m picking mine up today, after work. Can’t wait to get it lit up, and show it off.
Please post picture when you do. I'm not usually a big early adopter, but I really like the direction these lights are going in. I generally like the spectrum of the Radions (though no UV), but without the diffusers, there's way too much disco-ball effect. With them, looking at the tank from any angle where the lights are above eye level results in discomfort from the glare coming off the lights. Once you have them up, please post on the disco-ball and light spill. The more feedback on these lights, the better.

Kevin Duprey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a third one and decided to swap my hydras from my RSR 750 with my ReeFis on my frag tank. My 4 hydras were not really giving me the par I wanted on my 6 foot long RSR750. Three ReeFi Extremes will be more than enough.

(As a side note, I had to buy a wifi extender to get my hydra 26s to work with wifi in the garage over my frag tank where my ReeFis worked like a breeze off the router...).

I explored several mounting options for the RSR 750 and decided that the RMS rail system would be best for my tank. ReeFi now also makes RMS rail adapters, so getting the rail mounts is now an option for these lights. The rail mount would probably work well for your RSR525.

Npo65JL.jpg

OGprySE.jpg
Nice! That looks really good. I thought about going the RMS route, since I have the uprights from a previous tank, and would just need a new longer rail, but I want the lights up higher than this for better spread and color blending, so I'm just going to hang them from the ceiling like I'm doing now with the hybrid setup. That way I'm not stuck to a set height above the tank, and can play with it a bit to get the coverage and color blending I want.

LARedstickreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please post picture when you do. I'm not usually a big early adopter, but I really like the direction these lights are going in. I generally like the spectrum of the Radions (though no UV), but without the diffusers, there's way too much disco-ball effect. With them, looking at the tank from any angle where the lights are above eye level results in discomfort from the glare coming off the lights. Once you have them up, please post on the disco-ball and light spill. The more feedback on these lights, the better.

Will do.

They look like the focus was on quality and effectiveness rather than profit. The big players all have quality issues, likely from cutting little corners here and there. Reefi jams pretty much everything they can into this light and undercuts the big players.

Last edited:

lexinverts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! That looks really good. I thought about going the RMS route, since I have the uprights from a previous tank, and would just need a new longer rail, but I want the lights up higher than this for better spread and color blending, so I'm just going to hang them from the ceiling like I'm doing now with the hybrid setup. That way I'm not stuck to a set height above the tank, and can play with it a bit to get the coverage and color blending I want.

The height adjustability is a real plus for using hanging kits. I used hanging kits when I had them above my frag tank and slowly moved them down the chains when acclimating my corals. The nice thing about these lights is that because they have reflectors that are so effective at cutting side glare, you can hang them high over a tank in your living room and not get blinded by side glare when watching your tank from the couch. Side glare was the number 1 thing that drove me crazy about having Hydras over the tank in my living room.

Kevin Duprey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine came in today. Unpacked and played with one a bit just to see the interface and the light quality / glare in person, but not hung over the tank yet. I'm super impressed with the build quality. These are heavy lights, which tells me there's a quality heat-sink in there. Can't wait to get back from my business trip and hang these over the tank.

Have you gotten yours yet? First impressions?

shoggoth43

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reflector style design looks like the same approach as on the GHL Mitras. Any idea how these would compare to those? I'm also curious how a single unit would do over a 2x4 frag tank if it were raised up to around 20" or so. Seems like it would easily do a 30 or 40 breeder tank.

danlu_gt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reflector style design looks like the same approach as on the GHL Mitras. Any idea how these would compare to those? I'm also curious how a single unit would do over a 2x4 frag tank if it were raised up to around 20" or so. Seems like it would easily do a 30 or 40 breeder tank.

I'm not familiar with GHL Mitras. The ReeFlectors concept originated when my wife complained that the single large optical lens even with the shades of the gen 1 ReeFi Pendants would shine into our new born's eye when we put him by the fish tank doing tummy time. I used a parabolic design for each of the individual reflectors for about 90deg angle spread. When raised 20" up, it will cover 48" for Zoa's and LPS, but you'll get a lot of front and back light spillage. For sps frag system, I recommend going with 2 Extremes for 2x4 frag tank.

20190918_164550.jpg

EMeyer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Npo65JL.jpg

OGprySE.jpg
Had a chance to see these over @lexinverts tank yesterday and the absence of side glare is really impressive in person. I can't think of another light I've ever seen with so little glare.

LARedstickreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone using the Radion rms mount for one of these? It feels pretty heavy, is it okay to clamp this much weight to the tank glass? I’ve got 3/8in thick glass.

lexinverts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone using the Radion rms mount for one of these? It feels pretty heavy, is it okay to clamp this much weight to the tank glass? I’ve got 3/8in thick glass.

They weigh about 6 lbs. I think they will be ok. If you are really concerned you could get the RMS rail adapter and mount them to the rail system like I did. You would need one more RMS mount, a short rail, and an adapter.

dwmMNZU.jpg

LARedstickreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They weigh about 6 lbs. I think they will be ok. If you are really concerned you could get the RMS rail adapter and mount them to the rail system like I did. You would need one more RMS mount, a short rail, and an adapter.

dwmMNZU.jpg

I’d just keep it hanging...I’d much rather clean up the look with my Radion rms mount, but have little experience with glass strength and all. Maybe I’m being a big baby about this? It’s the torque that I’m worried about.

danlu_gt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d just keep it hanging...I’d much rather clean up the look with my Radion rms mount, but have little experience with glass strength and all. Maybe I’m being a big baby about this? It’s the torque that I’m worried about.

If you can measure the area where the RMS arm clamps on the glass, I'll do some torque comparisons. I've mounted 2, ReeFi pendants on longer arms side by side on 10mm (~3/8") glass. ReeFi pendant is a little more than half the weight of the ReeFi Duo Extreme.

LARedstickreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can measure the area where the RMS arm clamps on the glass, I'll do some torque comparisons. I've mounted 2, ReeFi pendants on longer arms side by side on 10mm (~3/8") glass. ReeFi pendant is a little more than half the weight of the ReeFi Duo Extreme.

Approximately 5in^2 mounting area.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 114 58.2%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 57 29.1%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 70 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 33 16.8%
  • Other

Votes: 58 29.6%
Back