Interesting 'New' LED Light

danlu_gt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Approximately 5in^2 mounting area.

My mount for ReeFi Pendant was only about 3.75 sq-in on 10mm glass. However, I don't know if my tank glass is tempered or not. My tank is SCA 50 cube. They didn't mentioned tempering glass in the description so my guess is that it's not. I have emailed them and will let you know when they reply.

LARedstickreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My mount for ReeFi Pendant was only about 3.75 sq-in on 10mm glass. However, I don't know if my tank glass is tempered or not. My tank is SCA 50 cube. They didn't mentioned tempering glass in the description so my guess is that it's not. I have emailed them and will let you know when they reply.

I’ve put the question to Red Sea. Hopefully they will actually answer :)

I feel like I’m being a big baby here. I’ll probably just go for it when I get home today.

I think the Radion XR30 is 4.5 lbs and no one has any problem.

danlu_gt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve put the question to Red Sea. Hopefully they will actually answer :)

I feel like I’m being a big baby here. I’ll probably just go for it when I get home today.

I think the Radion XR30 is 4.5 lbs and no one has any problem.

SCA replied to me. My SCA tank glass is not tempered.

Just make sure your RMS is flush on the rim of your tank and tighten down well. What Red Sea tank do you have? I know of one person in Seattle with Reefer 170, and they use the RMS adaptor for the Extreme.

LARedstickreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SCA replied to me. My SCA tank glass is not tempered.

Just make sure your RMS is flush on the rim of your tank and tighten down well. What Red Sea tank do you have? I know of one person in Seattle with Reefer 170, and they use the RMS adaptor for the Extreme.

I’ve got the 170 also. Red Sea asked for pictures of the mount, so still waiting on them.

danlu_gt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got the 170 also. Red Sea asked for pictures of the mount, so still waiting on them.

There's not problem with the torque on the glass. He has the ReeFi Duo Extreme on his Reefer 170 for a month now.

0e7e75e4d164a8db0967c91bc1f6a0ab.0.jpg a5f7c6cbd0360760c2f8b6387f63aa3e.0.jpg

mandarin417

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Received my light yesterday. Tank is 31 long 18 wide and 21 deep. I had a couple of XR15's on the floating light arm but the glare from the lights when sitting in a nearby chair was blinding. Hung the new ReeFi with cables to test it out. No side glare sitting in a chair within a couple of feet from the light. Wow! Nice tank coverage. Note - tank is in build mode and the floating arm will go on the other side of the tank on my new stand. Daniel is working on an integrated option for hanging the lamp with my 1515 8020 floating arm build. I am impressed with all aspects of this light so far.

reefi with cables.jpg

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Received my light yesterday. Tank is 31 long 18 wide and 21 deep. I had a couple of XR15's on the floating light arm but the glare from the lights when sitting in a nearby chair was blinding. Hung the new ReeFi with cables to test it out. No side glare sitting in a chair within a couple of feet from the light. Wow! Nice tank coverage. Note - tank is in build mode and the floating arm will go on the other side of the tank on my new stand. Daniel is working on an integrated option for hanging the lamp with my 1515 8020 floating arm build. I am impressed with all aspects of this light so far.

reefi with cables.jpg

Nice!!!!

If you are tossing those XR15s, id be interesting in recycling them for you ;) :)

LARedstickreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had mine going for a little over a week. So far so good! Corals are showing some better PE. My OP Acro is getting bluer.

What does everyone have theirs set on and what kind of par are you seeing?

Jay Norris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not familiar with GHL Mitras. The ReeFlectors concept originated when my wife complained that the single large optical lens even with the shades of the gen 1 ReeFi Pendants would shine into our new born's eye when we put him by the fish tank doing tummy time. I used a parabolic design for each of the individual reflectors for about 90deg angle spread. When raised 20" up, it will cover 48" for Zoa's and LPS, but you'll get a lot of front and back light spillage. For sps frag system, I recommend going with 2 Extremes for 2x4 frag tank.

20190918_164550.jpg
Hi, the GHL lights also use parabolic reflectors and have 72 LED lights per fixture. They also have 9 light channels, and sell for almost the same price.

Jay Norris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GHL Mitra LX with 6 identical smaller pucks means the led color ratio are not very flexible. You end up with too many reds and greens and not enough blues, violets, and UVs. For high PUR, it's not ideal. Plus with such bulky design, you're physical limited on how many you can add and arrange over a tank. Plus it's way more costly than ReeFi Duo Extremes, $800 vs $650 is no where near the "same price". Haha
Where do you get the idea they are not very flexible? Just because they have 6 pucks with 72 led lights does not Mae them inferior to large array light fixtures, in fact you can program the lights to any spectrum you would ever need in this hobby. They also have more then enough pure.

LARedstickreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where do you get the idea they are not very flexible? Just because they have 6 pucks with 72 led lights does not Mae them inferior to large array light fixtures, in fact you can program the lights to any spectrum you would ever need in this hobby. They also have more then enough pure.

I think that he means that the number of non blue LEDs is greater in the GHL light than his.

I like a blue tank with Alice in Wonderland colors, therefore like more blue LEDs than others.

The pictures below are with blues at 100% and whites at 25-30%. Still plenty of blue and pop.

0E540B3C-8797-4DF1-AA0C-87D04ADC86C9.jpeg
D0AD4654-4C3D-4107-8953-2CC278B798F8.jpeg

Jay Norris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that he means that the number of non blue LEDs is greater in the GHL light than his.

I like a blue tank with Alice in Wonderland colors, therefore like more blue LEDs than others.

The pictures below are with blues at 100% and whites at 25-30%. Still plenty of blue and pop.

0E540B3C-8797-4DF1-AA0C-87D04ADC86C9.jpeg
D0AD4654-4C3D-4107-8953-2CC278B798F8.jpeg
Ok, I understand his reasoning, but with the Mitra’s there is more than enough blue and white lights, with plenty of PUR.

danlu_gt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It's simple math.. 72 total diodes over 6 identical small pucks equal 12 diodes per puck. There are 9 channels so per puck 6 channels only get 1 diode each and 3 channels get 2 diodes each. From Mitras website: White to UV ratio is 2:1, white to blue is 2:1, red to blue is 1:2, green to blue is 1:2, and green to red to violet to UV is 1:1:1:1. Why would you need the same amount of red and green leds as violet and UV leds? We all know red and green get filter out first by ocean water and blue and UV penetrate deeper. Plus there are too many white diodes per blues, violet, and UV. With Mitras configuration, the min number of any color LED diodes is 6 and has to increase by multiples of 6. From this, I estimate the PUR/PAR percentage is below 75% for corals. I think their diode color ratio is perfect for freshwater plant tank and will give excellent PUR/PAR percentage for plants.

With ReeFi Duo Extreme, there are only 4 LED diodes per Lime, PC Amber, Warm White, and 8 for Cool White. This leave plenty of diodes left for more UV, more Violet (425nm), and additional 435nm channel that most other don't have.

LARedstickreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back when I was running a diy led light using 3w cree leds, I had the most growth and best colors when I just went RB only.

These days, I like some whites during the day to better see my fish.

Kevin Duprey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had mine going for a little over a week. So far so good! Corals are showing some better PE. My OP Acro is getting bluer.

What does everyone have theirs set on and what kind of par are you seeing?
I have had mine running for about 1 month. For the first week or so, I ran them on basically the default program pulled down a bit because I wanted to be sure I didn't over do it with my SPS and burn them, especially because I was heading overseas for a week shortly after I installed them. I noticed my pH not rising as high during the day, and my alk consumption went down during this time (I have a Reefbot monitoring alk daily). That was enough indication for me that I could amp things up quite a bit.

I've since settled on a program that starts with the default sunrise at 7:45am, ramps up continuously to an approximation of the Radion AB+ spectrum at 171W from each unit (I have 2 over my RSR525XL) at 10:30 am. That then holds until 1:00 pm where it then ramps over 30 minutes to 100% on all blue, purple, UV channels and 75% on the others (probably about 14k roughly). This peak is 201W on each unit. At 3pm it ramps back to a slightly whiter AB+ at 177W, then holds there till 6:30 pm when it ramps continuously down through default evening to default night at 7:30pm, then moon at 9:15pm. This gives me a good 8 hours of fairly high intensity light, peaking for 1.5 hours at a cool white. At this peak, I'm getting about 400 PAR at the top of my rock structure, about 5 inches below the water surface with the lights ~10" above the surface. The PAR at the bottom, center of the tank is 150-175 PAR at this peak.

Everything looks very happy with this, and my alk consumption has gone back to where it was with the Radions and T5 I had previously. I am seeing some definite color enhancement in many of my SPS and other corals. I credit the high UV for most of this.

When I get home tonight I'll post a screenshot of the overall program and the AB+ approximation.

LARedstickreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried to peak my whites at 30% and had my starburst Montipora pull all polyps inside out :)

Kevin Duprey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried to peak my whites at 30% and had my starburst Montipora pull all polyps inside out :)
What were blues at? Any idea of PAR? I had already been blasting my tank with the Radions and T5, including some full-spectrum light with the radions during the mid-day peak (well as near as they can get), so the Reefi lights were unlikely to cause a major disruption to my tank. I didn't switch because I didn't like the results I was getting from the setup I had. I switched mainly because I wanted less side glare and more UV.

LARedstickreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What were blues at? Any idea of PAR? I had already been blasting my tank with the Radions and T5, including some full-spectrum light with the radions during the mid-day peak (well as near as they can get), so the Reefi lights were unlikely to cause a major disruption to my tank. I didn't switch because I didn't like the results I was getting from the setup I had. I switched mainly because I wanted less side glare and more UV.

I keep all blues at 100% during the day. With whites and lime at 25%, I see 250-370par at the tops of the rocks. This is about 17-18in below the lights.

I’m currently looking into hitting 400par via combo of light height, upping whites, and adding more rocks to get corals closer.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 70 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 62 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.5%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back