Interesting 'New' LED Light

SuperSaiyanTang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ReeFi fans are really quiet, though. The only trade-off I see with the ReeFi cooling design is the weight, but I can live with that.

Mine stay pretty quiet. The build quality on these are worth the weight. I hang mine using the eco tech rail without issues.

danlu_gt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first thing I thought of when I saw your cooling design, was the AMD/Nvidia factory-style HSF/blower assembly. A dense heatsink with a blower-style fan.

Very effective, the only downside to those was that it sounded like a jet turbine engine when it got going.

ReeFi's 100mm blower fan can spin up to 9000rpm. Yes, if the fan run at that speed, it will sound like a jet engine. ReeFi Duo series have 2 temperature sensors (1 per puck) and the fan speed will increase or decrease depends on those temp sensors. As long as the ambient temperature is in comfortable 70s F the fan will only run at a fraction of that speed. If the heatsink fins are clog with dust, then the fan will work harder. It's recommended to use compress air can to blow out the dust every 12-18 months. I would take the unit outside to blow out the dust build-up. :)

Entz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine stay pretty quiet. The build quality on these are worth the weight. I hang mine using the eco tech rail without issues.
Yeah I have mine on a pair Kessil A series arms and its working great. The heatsink is really impressive, heavy is better than risking dead LEDs.

RE: Fan noise this is one thing I love about Dan. Mine had a slightly faster fan due to batch differences I am sure (20% give or take) and was a bit louder than my SO liked and I contacted him and within a few days he had a new firmware out that calibrated the Fan RPM to account for differences and boom its been amazing. Cool and Quiet. Having such direct and quick feedback is wonderful.

That has been my only issue, and very subjective issue at that. Lights amazing.

Last edited:

Lithoman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My lights came yesterday. The lights are beautiful, a bit on the heavy side, but as long as the RMS XR30 Tank Mounts and my rimless tank can handle it, I'm good.. Have not turned them on or set them up yet.. hopefully they will run as nice as they look, I believe they will with everything I have read.. I will post some pics after I get them put up and turned on.

fragit

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my Intel days alternating between microprocessor architectures with IC design and then it's low yield root cause analysis debug, one of the major factor to early silicon IC failure is increased (and sometimes runaway) leakage current over time due to thermal stress on the P N junction. With increased leakage current, it in turn causes more heat and more heat results in even greater leakage current. This is one of the reason Intel shifted from P4 architecture to iCore architecture but I won't go into too much details. The same heat and leakage current is also a major cause of LED diode failure and decrease efficiency/intensity. There are many consideration and trade offs are made in designing a new LED fixture. Example of some trade off are between cost and aesthetic to cooling performance and size. Cree states that with their XPE2 LED diodes, system designer can operate their LED above 100C but operation life/intensity will degrade in their longevity datasheet. With ReeFi Duo series, I've incorporate many aspects of CPU heatsink design such as high active cooling surface area, copper heat spreader, vapor cooling chambers to achieve over 9 sq-ft of active cooling surface area (10x more than others) and able to maintain LED diode junction temperature below 75C even at constant full power of 216 watts. To achieve this, there are some trade offs such as higher development and production cost, much heavier unit, and slightly thicker in size. I feel like I have achieve great balance of size and aesthetic to performance but with increased weight.

So in lay person terms you designed, sources, and built for longevity. In doing so the fixtures weigh more, but can produce more light, it cost you more on the production end. I like nice quality tools, and am more than happy to pay for it. I discussed things with my wife and got the go ahead. I will place my order shortly! Daniel thanks for being so responsive here. It means a lot to me and I’m sure many others that you are willing to so generously share your time answering our questions.

Lithoman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got them connected to my Wi-Fi.. next up the TANK.....
lights 1.jpg

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.3%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.1%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back