Interesting 'New' LED Light

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Probably gonna get laughed at for this, (oh well). But how will these lights work on a tank like mine that is 72 long, 34 inches tall and 30 deep? I thought of switching lights, but I hate radion and hydra, (have not tried kessill. Now here is where I’m gonna get the quirked look, I use three current USA marine pro 72 inch. Now before people assume these are the marine pro loops they are not. Mine are the 4117 version (also 6O degree lens) 3 watt led, and power supply is 200 watt if I remember correctly maybe 150 but it’s been a while since I had other issues not related to my tank come up). ) which when I tested with a par meter was actually equal to more powerful than the gen 3 and 4 radion. The lights i use are discontinued and I have had them for plus 6 years roughly. They still do a great job, but always looking for the sake of it. They current USA also have fantastic service as well. With my tank at 34 inches tall I’m about 120 par (ish on the sand bed).

Last edited:

fragit

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Probably gonna get laughed at for this, (oh well). But how will these lights work on a tank like mine that is 72 long, 34 inches tall and 30 deep? I thought of switching lights, but I hate radion and hydra, (have not tried kessill. Now here is where I’m gonna get the quirked look, I use three current USA marine pro 72 inch. Now before people assume these are the marine pro loops they are not. Mine are the 4117 version (also 6O degree lens) 3 watt led, and power supply is 200 watt if I remember correctly maybe 150 but it’s been a while since I had other issues not related to my tank come up). ) which when I tested with a par meter was actually equal to more powerful than the gen 3 and 4 radion. The lights i use are discontinued and I have had them for plus 6 years roughly. They still do a great job, but always looking for the sake of it. They current USA also have fantastic service as well. With my tank at 34 inches tall I’m about 120 par (ish on the sand bed).
I use two fixtures in my 120. Lights are 12 inches from water. Par on sand is 150-200 depending on shade. I get about 300-400 in the upper half of the tank as an average. You will be all set with power from these beasts!

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, Considering this light to replace maxspect r420r over a 24X24 cube. Would one UNO do it?
What kind of corals are you planning? One would probably be enough for a mixed reef with maybe a few sps higher up and towards the center. I prefer the idea of two and turned down a bit so you have more even spread and light coming from two points. Or you could go with the duo model which has the two built in. With the current preorder pricing it's a really good deal to go with two Uno vs one of the Duo

Last edited:

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

They should have plenty of power to go 34" tall. Probably need two rows because of the 30" front to back dimension. 72" long so maybe looking at 3 sets of 2 from side to side although I think I would lean towards 4 sets of 2 for total of 8

180w of power each would give you 1440 watts with 8!

My new build will be 60" long and 28" front to back. I am thinking 8 just so I can have nice even coverage. I don't like shadows unless it's on purpose.

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of corals are you planning? One would probably be enough for a mixed reef with maybe a few sps higher up and towards the center. I prefer the idea of two and turned down a bit so you have more even spread and light coming from two points. Or you could go with the duo model which has the two built in. With the current preorder pricing it's a really good deal to go with two Uno vs one of the Duo
mixed reef is the plan. I need to stop buying frags. LOL
It's either the 60 cube for now or a peninsula down the line. I was thinking the Uno and add lights as needed if I go for the peninsula. My main display has three ecotech XR15 Pro's and I'm very happy with them but I'm seeing the following these lights are creating and just trying to see which way to go. I was reading Dana Riddle's review with great interest but we know he's going through a really rough situation with the storm and it's effect on his home so lights are most certainly not the top priority at this point. We do wish him well and and a rapid recovery from this catastrophy.

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use two fixtures in my 120. Lights are 12 inches from water. Par on sand is 150-200 depending on shade. I get about 300-400 in the upper half of the tank as an average. You will be all set with power from these beasts!

Hello,

That’s good measurements for the 120 tank but my tank is almost 8 inches taller and 30 inches wide. If I hang these 12 -15 High I’m not sure I’d hit that par level, which mine is about 150? The upper half of my tank is 400 plus now. That’s Why I’m asking, I have thought of the mitas ghl 7 as well.

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They should have plenty of power to go 34" tall. Probably need two rows because of the 30" front to back dimension. 72" long so maybe looking at 3 sets of 2 from side to side although I think I would lean towards 4 sets of 2 for total of 8

180w of power each would give you 1440 watts with 8!

My new build will be 60" long and 28" front to back. I am thinking 8 just so I can have nice even coverage. I don't like shadows unless it's on purpose.

Hello,

Oddly I can’t actually find who sells them. I need to see price as compared to others as well.

Karliefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

If I had reliable lights that have been trouble free for the last 6 years and corals are growing great, I’d be sticking with them. “If ain’t broke don’t touch”

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Oddly I can’t actually find who sells them. I need to see price as compared to others as well.
Hello,

That’s good measurements for the 120 tank but my tank is almost 8 inches taller and 30 inches wide. If I hang these 12 -15 High I’m not sure I’d hit that par level, which mine is about 150? The upper half of my tank is 400 plus now. That’s Why I’m asking, I have thought of the mitas ghl 7 as well.
https://www.reefi-lab.com/

I am sure Daniel would be able to answer your question on the extra deep tank par estimates.

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not as deep as your tank but this is interesting for a single light output. From the ReeFi website.
Untitled.jpg

RhinoNM

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted this on another thread...may get more feedback here.

I just bought 3 Uno's to run over a 48" tank and am considering purchasing a 4th and running 1 on each side of the tank with 1 light behind each. Essentially like a Duo puck setup.

My only concern is the color these put out without having to dial back a bunch of the channels thus lowering PAR. Whilre I like the majority of the Leds to be Blue, this light has 48 or 67% of its Leds in the Violet spectrum. I love the crisp blue look of the Radion Blue g5's at all channels driven @100%.

Would the Uno be very "Violet" leaning rather than "Blue". On this version they have even lowered the amount of Royal & 470nm Blue leds vs the Duo further concerning me. Royal blue IMO being the most eye appealing spectrum, should be a substantial part of the spectrum.

I cant stand the old VHO fluorescent tanks that have that Violet/Pepto tint...I want crisp/pooping blue. I can obviously turn down the Violets to tone it down but theres not enough royal blues for PAR at that point.

Can anyone comment?

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like most of the change is a big bump in uv and deep violet(420). With a small increase in violet leds. I don’t think wavelengths 420 and below will give a strong violet hue. I remember running vho t12 actinic 03 which were around 420 if I recall and the wavelength mostly made corals fluorescence pop.

There are the same number of blue and an increase from 6 to 10 royal blue which should give plenty of blue I think compared to duo extreme

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I inquired with Daniel about the change in color ratio earlier. Keep in mind the diode count for the duo and duo extreme are total diodes with two 36 diode pucks. The uno has the same number of diodes in a single puck

Looks interesting Daniel! I may have to go with a bunch of these vs the DuoExtreme but I am curious on your take on the pretty sizable reduction in blue and royal blue from the DuoXtrm to the Uno with the again sizeable bump up in violet, deep violet and UV

For SPS, you should think of 2 ReeFi Uno to replace 1 ReeFi Duo Extreme, and you get an increase in royal blue, violet, deep violet, and UV. For LPS/Softies, 1 ReeFi Uno can replace 1 ReeFi Duo Extreme but need to mount higher up, but this assume your tank is more squarish than long to prevent light spill out of the front and back.

RhinoNM

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thx for the reply Shirak. If a single Uno can hit 200-300 Par @ 20" over a 2'x2' area, then running 2 (for the same foot print) will be par overkill, needing me to cut back on some of the channels anyways. So there is probably lots of room to play with channels and not kill Par.

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thx for the reply Shirak. If a single Uno can hit 200-300 Par @ 20" over a 2'x2' area, then running 2 (for the same foot print) will be par overkill, needing me to cut back on some of the channels anyways. So there is probably lots of room to play with channels and not kill Par.
That's kind of the direction I am leaning also. The par spread looks fairly uniform when measured on a flat surface but I think having multiple units and dialing them back will give better lighting from different angles when rock is in the tank and corals are growing every which direction. I am not a big fan of strong shadows.

The Uno's are very powerful for the size of the fixture when you consider it's the same diode count and pretty close wattage to the Duo Extreme in a single puck vs two. With two you would certainly have no trouble toning down the violet a little and bumping the royal blue if it's more to your liking.

I am thinking of going with 8 on a 60" x 28" x 24" tall tank and raising them up a bit more maybe to 14" or so to even the spread and reduce shadows

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone tried both these and reef breeders? If so, which one would you go with? How do the two compare?
I haven't tried either yet but looking at the specs on the reef breeders there seem to be a large number of 5500k white and red and green diodes which would not be my first choice.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 143 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back