Interesting Yellow Worm

wtdenk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First time seeing it today. A couple inches long. Very fast moving. Great color. On a piece of gulf rock in an observation tank.

Anyone know what it is? Reef safe?

20220807_131100.jpg 20220807_131100.jpg

Alexraptor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
KILL IT WITH FIRE! That is an Oenone worm, family under Eunicida, and one of the worst worms you can ever possibly get in your tank.

They are predators of other worms, clams and gastropods(snails). I've battled them continuously in all the 17 years I've been in the hobby. My 15-gallon tank is balanced on a razors edge nutrient wise, as I have no possibility of snail-based algae control, due to their presence.

Edit: They secrete a thick snotty mucus that contains a paralytic venom, and are also capable of dissolving and boring through shells.

Fulgida2.jpg

OP
OP
wtdenk

wtdenk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming it is an Oenone, all I'm feeding this tank is phyto. There are astreas and limpets and I haven't seen any deaths so far. I can keep it quarantined for as long as I need. How long before it starves or I start seeing it hunt for snails?

Alexraptor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It won't starve unfortunately, they are highly adaptable and can live off detritus just as well, but they are highly opportunistic.

I've had some success catching them with traps baited with raw scall, octopus or shrimp, with varying degrees of success, at least when it comes to adult individuals. My DIY trap consists of a filter holder filled with coral/LR rubble, with the bait secured within. This tends to make the worms feel a bit more secure, as they can curl up inside the trap and not leave themselves exposed in the open.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Trap it and this is a sneaky worm that gets large
Bait trap with shrimp and trap it, poor off water and place trap with worm in freezer
When it barely moves drop into heavy plastic bag and freeze until garbage day

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It's a polychate worm. In the same family of bristle worms

Screenshot_20220807-151303_Chrome.jpg
This is correct, but "it's a polychate" is only slightly more specific than "it's a worm". It includes everything from teeny-tiny detritivores to the infamous bobbit worms.

To get it out, I'd suggest long tongs and a bait. Grab it, fast, and yank it. Pop it into your sump, or euthanize with clove oil.

OP
OP
wtdenk

wtdenk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Such a shame. Such a good looking yellow color. I have a worm tube trap ordered

TurboTang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps it is in this family, but without seeing it's head it is hard to classify
You can get lost here on all the diff types

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220808-170616.png
    Screenshot_20220808-170616.png
    411.2 KB · Views: 43

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Hadla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it’s an oenone fulgida, it looks like an orange millipede! My biocube has had them for the past 5ish years. I’ve been waiting for the opportunity to get a conus regius to take care of the smaller ones. It’s $29 plus shipping which is too much for me now

traps will rarely work because they’re so fast and they almost never completely leave their tunnels.

OP
OP
wtdenk

wtdenk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it’s an oenone fulgida, it looks like an orange millipede! My biocube has had them for the past 5ish years. I’ve been waiting for the opportunity to get a conus regius to take care of the smaller ones. It’s $29 plus shipping which is too much for me now

traps will rarely work because they’re so fast and they almost never completely leave their tunnels.
It's very bright yellow, I've only seen it once. I hope there is only one. With having them for 5 years, have you been able to keep snails or have they killed them all?

Hadla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, and two mantis shrimp… trying to figure out how they died being covered by a huge slime blob is how I found out about the worms. The biocube is covered in algae since I can’t put anything in there to take care of it. If you see it again and it doesn’t look like an orange millipede, it’s probably not an oenone fulgida.

I haven’t tried to put anything in the tank in years so maybe they could have died out but not likely. I think I’ll have to move all the rocks and sand out into a seperate empty tank and test a snail in the cube

Last edited:

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Do the fulgida worms kill urchins? A blue tuxedo urchin should do just fine in a Biocube, in terms of food, though there might be some scratch risk on the acrylic.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back