internal or extenal overflow

Napoliandy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,
I'm in the process of purchasing a new tank and I've decided on an innovative marine 75. I keep going back and forth though with myself because I don't know if I want the internal overflow or the external model. The tank is pretty wide and the space that I have is long enough, but the indent to the next wall is exactly 24 in. So considering plumbing and a UV sterilizer, I'd have to leave ample amount of space behind the tank. so I'm feeling it will look weird where it will be. So I was thinking to do an internal overflow, but I don't know or ever used them before. I wouldn't even know how to plumb it. I would figure it out, but maybe you guys can give me your input. I also can put the tank on the other side, but I have wall to wall mirrors and the thought makes me cringe a bit. I am attaching pictures of the stand with 6 in space behind it with the indent in the background, plus the side with the mirrors and the stand I made. Please excuse the mess and please give all input that you think I need. Pictures would help too of internal plumbing. Oh, one more question, are internals more dangerous, considering flooding?
Thank you so much in advance,
Margherita

indent.jpg mirror.jpg stand.jpg

OP
OP
Napoliandy

Napoliandy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm leaning towards internal. Not entirely sure what/where you mean by the indent though.
Look at the side view of the stand. Maybe I worded wrong. The wall is a L shape. The span across is 24. Exactly the length of the tank. See how much it sticks out. Do you have internal. If so, can you show a picture.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Internal and external overflows work the same way and are equally safe. Internals take up room inside the tank while externals mean the tank sticks out from the wall more.
I have both kinds.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming we're both looking at the same indentation from the wall, I'd go internal and plumb your UV inside the stand as well. While the tank will end up sticking out a bit - it will be a lot less so with an internal arrangement.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 50.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 40 52.6%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 16 21.1%
  • None.

Votes: 19 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 9.2%
Back