Internal or External Return Pumps: Which do you trust the most?

Is your return pump an external or internal pump?

• Internal

Votes: 437 80.0%
  • External

Votes: 93 17.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 16 2.9%

• Total voters

Streetcred

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Is your return pump an external or internal pump?

2x External

2. Why did you choose external or internal?

Manage heat transfer and easier maintenance.

KyOsIBa515

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I had the space and dedicated room external really only has one draw back IMO and that is if they leak.

However, I have never seen a pump catastrophically fail in the sense it blew apart and water was everywhere. A seal will being to drip or seep and if set up with that in mind and routine checking and maintenance it would be my favorite way of going.

Far less heat added to the tank. Especially if it is a larger pump and you are already trying to figure out ways not to get a chiller.

Most DC external pumps are virtually dead silent because you can mount them.

My two varios 4 in my stump still make a little noise from vibration. Even with the nice rubber feet. However, for sump use is still about as quiet as it gets and am very happy with them.

Alex Cataldo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run an internal with no problem. I just clean it out every month with no issues. I wouldn’t go through the trouble to hard plumb something like that into the side of the sump for maintenance reason.

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wouldn’t that be the same thing.
No...external/internal is how you plumb it, submersible/dry is type of pump. Personally I run an internal config with a pump that can run dry or submerged (submersible) If I had the room id love to run external config but would likely not use a dry only pump due to noise and limited future options.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always had basements sumps. I ran internal when I started the hobby and it always added heat and noise from the vibration. Once I switched to external, I never looked back. I bought a Gen-x with high head and it was flawless. I recently (7 years ago) got back in the hobby and found another Gen-x, same model and ran that for four years. I still have it for back up. But I switched to sicce syncra 9.0 for the control and this pump I like. Not quite as powerful but 3 years and cleaned once. No flow loss at all. I'm interested in how long it goes cuz some people say DC is not reliable. They have not really been around long enough to say that. Some DC manufacturers are bad just like some AC manufacturers. With a return pump you just need to pick a quality company that puts out quality pumps.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Is your return pump an external or internal pump?

Internal

2. Why did you choose external or internal?

I did not really choose it, it was what I could have as there is no room for an external. That being said, I have only ever had internal pumps. If I ever get a big system with my dream of an equipment room then I will probably do external.

Cin288

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would imagine most people using external are using it in a basement sump or fish room type of application, probably not that many in cabinets. I also think those applications are where each particular pump shines, save for the real nice DC pumps made for high head pressures.
I am running an Iwaki external inside my cabinet. Amazing pump

Rjramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
External has been my choice for most applications. Don’t need the heat transfer in south fla. Internal pumps are quieter only because they are submerged. But, being submerged has everything to do with why they fail. Electricity in salt water equals electrolysis. Add the encrusting calcification that takes place and that pump needs to be taken out of service and cleaned more often. As a preventive measure, I clean my external pumps every 5 years, and most of the cleaning involves the impeller and housing, the dry side( electric motor)is easy to clean. An Iwaki I have ran for 20 years is now clean and in a box as a back up to a new Iwaki.

Emerson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran RIO internal pumps for years in my old tank with a sump that was nothing more than a 20L tank, and no ATO. Looking back, they were probably undersized, but they weren't too expensive, and I'd keep an extra on hand as they'd fail about every two years. When I upgraded from that 50 gal tank to a 90 gal, I built a DIY sump with baffles (also out of a 20L), and and drilled and plumbed it with a flexible mesh line clamped on the nozzles. The sump and Iwaki MD-30RXT (Japanese motor) are under the stand. I have two Neptune LDK leak detectors around the sump and pump, and visually inspect any time I have the cabinet open. I also added an ATO when I upgraded, to make sure the pump doesn't run dry along with other benefits (duh!).

I've had a great experience with my Iwaki pump; the build is near bullet proof. I keep a new one on hand, all things will fail in time. The pump does run hot to the touch; I really like that all that heat isn't directly transmitted to the water column. It does warm up the undercabinet space, but a fan helps with that and humidity too.

Attachments

• IMAG1684.jpg
    IMAG1684.jpg
    233.7 KB · Views: 20

Laith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got two Red Dragon return pumps that are located in my sump.

I just didn't want to take the risk of a leak/flood situation linked to bulkhead and pipe connections to the pumps. Same reason my skimmer sits in my sump.

On the other hand, I have no experience with external pumps so my fears may be overblown. I have a vivid imagination! ;Wideyed

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see it as a question of trust at all. I see it as how easy is it to run multiple pumps for redudnacy when one fails and how easy is it to replace when one fails. Internal pumps with flexable tubing I've found to be easier than hard plumbed external pumps even if union fittings are used.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see it as a question of trust at all. I see it as how easy is it to run multiple pumps for redudnacy when one fails and how easy is it to replace when one fails. Internal pumps with flexable tubing I've found to be easier than hard plumbed external pumps even if union fittings are used.
I have a backup of my external pump. I can literally disconnect 2 hoses and connect to the new pump. Easy peezy.

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a backup of my external pump. I can literally disconnect 2 hoses and connect to the new pump. Easy peezy.
With an internal pump I only need to disconnect one hose. And with two pumps running if one fails my systems can go days or weeks without anything dying. :)

Delatedlotus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First of all the number one rule for me is; NO internal pump ever, heat, plastic DC NO WAY. The life is so, so short. Ever had a pump go down and be at the mercy of your next pay check..? Not for me period. It is nothing to plump a pump in, I have never had one leak or drip ever!. With that being said, there is ONLY one pump I would ever both buy and use. I bought a **Japanese Iwaki 100r** 25 years ago it has pumped right at 2160 gallons an hour, 36 plus gallons per min at a head height of 39ft at 25psi. I run 265 gallons plus total on my system. 2 tanks a 90 and a 110 and a 100 gallon sump of sorts, it is a 100 gallon plastic horse trough with my sump in it, I keep that down in my basement lol. Heavy duty pumps these are and with a huge head height. It went bad on me right at 4 months ago now. I bought another one from BRS ( I shopped very extensively both new and USED 1st ) for $478 dollars free freight. I would use NO OTHER PUMP PERIOD EVER ..! It lasted right at 25 years! 365 days a year, 24-7, for 25 years. That breaks down like this.. 24 hours a day, 7 days a week = 168 hours a week, 168 hours a week x 52 weeks = 8736 hours in a year, 8736 hours x 25 years = 218,400 TOTAL HOURS THIS PUMP HAS RUN NON - STOP... Now someone out there tell me, is there a better pump out there..? I have never changed any part on this pump ever, not an even the impeller. Nor ever cleaned it..! No other pump will last this long ever. They have never changed anything on these pumps at all. I did talk to the factory direct no changes ever on them. And I did get the dark gray replacement pump just like "I" had before, again bought the new one from BRS aquarium ** Japanese only. No other pump will ever last that long ever... NONE... I also after a little homework, I can replace $5.90 in bearings to rebuild my OLD Japanese Iwaki 100r pump. Again anyone tell me... Some 40+ years

Laith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First of all the number one rule for me is; NO internal pump ever, heat, plastic DC NO WAY. The life is so, so short. Ever had a pump go down and be at the mercy of your next pay check..? Not for me period. It is nothing to plump a pump in, I have never had one leak or drip ever!. With that being said, there is ONLY one pump I would ever both buy and use. I bought a **Japanese Iwaki 100r** 25 years ago it has pumped right at 2160 gallons an hour, 36 plus gallons per min at a head height of 39ft at 25psi. I run 265 gallons plus total on my system. 2 tanks a 90 and a 110 and a 100 gallon sump of sorts, it is a 100 gallon plastic horse trough with my sump in it, I keep that down in my basement lol. Heavy duty pumps these are and with a huge head height. It went bad on me right at 4 months ago now. I bought another one from BRS ( I shopped very extensively both new and USED 1st ) for $478 dollars free freight. I would use NO OTHER PUMP PERIOD EVER ..! It lasted right at 25 years! 365 days a year, 24-7, for 25 years. That breaks down like this.. 24 hours a day, 7 days a week = 168 hours a week, 168 hours a week x 52 weeks = 8736 hours in a year, 8736 hours x 25 years = 218,400 TOTAL HOURS THIS PUMP HAS RUN NON - STOP... Now someone out there tell me, is there a better pump out there..? I have never changed any part on this pump ever, not an even the impeller. Nor ever cleaned it..! No other pump will last this long ever. They have never changed anything on these pumps at all. I did talk to the factory direct no changes ever on them. And I did get the dark gray replacement pump just like "I" had before, again bought the new one from BRS aquarium ** Japanese only. No other pump will ever last that long ever... NONE... I also after a little homework, I can replace $5.90 in bearings to rebuild my OLD Japanese Iwaki 100r pump. Again anyone tell me... Some 40+ years

I couldn't agree with you more... if my return pump was also sitting in a remote fish room and not in my living room.

As my return pumps are under the tank in our living room, I needed quality, durability AND silent running. I visited about ten different reefers with large tanks running ten different types of pumps, including the Iwaki. Many of these pumps had been running for years with no problems (some not :rolleyes:). The only return pumps (at least that I saw) that had that combination of quality, longevity AND silent running for large tanks were Abyss, Red Dragons and Eheims (though the Ehiems were on smaller tanks).

There is a much larger range of available quality pumps that can last for a long time but the range narrows quickly if you're looking for a pump that the only way to tell it is running is to make sure that water is still going over the overflow! ;)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 34.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 15 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back