Internal or External Return Pumps: Which do you trust the most?

Is your return pump an external or internal pump?

• Internal

Votes: 437 80.0%
  • External

Votes: 93 17.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 16 2.9%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
When setting up a new system one of the biggest decisions is what pump to run as your return pump which is the heartbeat of the system. Normally we talk about the make and model of the pump but today let's talk about why type of pump, external or internal!

1. Is your return pump an external or internal pump?

2. Why did you choose external or internal?

image via @geo
15350583_1440466982631962_1290774372767345486_n.jpg

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an external pump on my main system. It has been running for over 14 years and I got it used. I thought, smartly, hey I should get a back up. This one has been running so long and one was on discount. Got same pump. Blueline 55 or something like that (off the top of my head that is what I remember). After a year and a half, it is still sitting in its shipping box.

I just use little cobalt 1200 Maxijets to send water back to my 40g/20g from the sump. Now I have extrenal chillers and protein skimmer and a Carx. These use internal and extrenal pumps. The ca rx is also a blueline (smaller than 55). The internals are the QuietOnes from Lifeguard. Always been good little pumps for me.

Last edited:

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never had the need for an external (would love to HAVE to have one with big tank and sump in basement) but an external would scare me. With my luck that would be the part that leaked and made a big enough mess that my wife would shut it down. Not so much the pump leaking just the DA that did the plumbing to it. For now I’ll stick with the Varios 2 that is an absolute machine. The last 3 years I have managed to have to replace everything due to wear and tare except the varios. I even have a brand new back up in the box that I have had for a year just waiting for the old one to die. Very impressed with these returns. I run it at 3/4, 24/7 unless I am doing a water change.

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When setting up a new system one of the biggest decisions is what pump to run as your return pump which is the heartbeat of the system. Normally we talk about the make and model of the pump but today let's talk about why type of pump, external or internal!

2. What did you choose external or internal?

image via @geo
15350583_1440466982631962_1290774372767345486_n.jpg
is #2 supposed to be why?

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If we're really talking 'trust', then decades-proven pumps like Iwaki and Panworld/Blueline will 'win' hands down. External only, of course, so that's a limitation for many ..... plus none of them are exactly quiet. But if you want a decade, maybe even more, of trouble-free performance, hard to beat. No need to futz around with spares or redundant pumps. They'll also pump up from the basement.

For me, reliability and ability to handle pressure means an AC external as my main return pump. I do use internal/submersibles for certain applications though.

It'll be interesting to see the split. I bet its 10:1.

Last edited:

Reefs and Geeks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Internal only for me. The idea of an external pump or skimmer is just terifying. If it were to start leaking I'd much rather it leek into the sump than on my floor. Plus I don't like the idea of drilling through my sump in order to install a pump. Instead, I upsized my sump to accommodate plenty of room for pumps. Only pump I've had fail on me was a Mag 9. Now I'm all DC pumps and loving how quiet they are.

I personally also prefer the look of everything being in the sump. Keeps it all together.

Related to the question, I have no idea how anyone puts in an external skimmer. With as many times as my skimmer cup overflows, I'd be flooding my floors monthly. At least a return is totally closed and would only make a mess if it leaked.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
External pump for me. Heat is a huge issue. I want the heat out of the tank it is easier to deal with there. Also internal pumps get stuff growing on them from the tank, sometimes this causes weird problems I would rather not deal with.

dbowman5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i was using a tempered sided tank to build my sump with so i went internal. i would consider external if i was to do it over using a non-tempered tank, having drilled my DT and seeing that i could do it. The concerns about leaking are balanced by not having the electrical parts in saltwater. My basement configuration would also mitigate the noise concerns.

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked other, only because... well.....

Internal

2. Why did you choose external or internal?

Internal because I have a DIY aquarium sump it fits nicely in to.
Previous tank, back in the 90's, was external due to using one of those wet/dry trickle thing a majjiggies. remember those? :cool:

ajjw0828

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never had the need for an external (would love to HAVE to have one with big tank and sump in basement) but an external would scare me. With my luck that would be the part that leaked and made a big enough mess that my wife would shut it down. Not so much the pump leaking just the DA that did the plumbing to it. For now I’ll stick with the Varios 2 that is an absolute machine. The last 3 years I have managed to have to replace everything due to wear and tare except the varios. I even have a brand new back up in the box that I have had for a year just waiting for the old one to die. Very impressed with these returns. I run it at 3/4, 24/7 unless I am doing a water change.
I agree, don't need the worry of a leak or a reason for my wife to want the tank out.

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would imagine most people using external are using it in a basement sump or fish room type of application, probably not that many in cabinets. I also think those applications are where each particular pump shines, save for the real nice DC pumps made for high head pressures.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one internal (Sicce DC9) and one external return pump (Core 20).

I chose the former for Sicce brand reliability, and the Core 20 for features. I have inbox backups for each.

The Core 20 is the quietist pump I have ever owned hands down.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back