Internal parasites will not go away!

Lil' RegalReefster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prominent issue:
After purchasing my regal angel (approx. 5 inches and fat and healthy), I placed him directly into my display tank as I did not have the time or resources to quarantine him (don't shame me, I am fourteen so finding a decent source of income is a tad bit difficult). A few days later I noticed he had white stringy poo. I originally dismissed this since he had not eaten for a while and I was still trying to get him eating. I thought it was probably just some mucus. At the time, he was still very colourful and fat and was beginning to adjust to the tank and come out of his cave more. After he began eating clam I noticed he still had the same white stringy poo and was losing some of his top fins as well as developing holes in his tail. I also noticed one of my lyretail anthias had the same thing going on with his poo so I started freaking out. I ordered (from BRS) 4 small metroplex boxes, 1 small box of focus and 2 small boxes of kanaplex along with some prazipro. I live in Canada so it took a while to arrive since fish meds are illegal for some reason now!!!

At this point, I had talked to a few members on reef2reef who gave me some insight and although I saw absolutely no other symptoms of internal parasites other than the white poo I decided to go through with the humblefish food soak treatment using spirulina and mysis along with a small batch of pellets. The medicated food was mixed with focus, metroplex and kanaplex. The kanaplex was used since I believe the regal had a mild case of fin rot which was creating holes in his tail. I did this for about 3 weeks and I never saw the white poo again, however, I also did not see either "infected" fish poo normally either (this was probably since my fish tend to go hide in their caves and do their business in privet). The regal's fins also began to mend back together. During that time I had convinced my regal to eat chopped squid and began mixing that into the medicated food slurry that was being broadcast fed. About a week after the three weeks of treatment I once again noticed the anthias and regal poop stringy white. I got a bit frustrated since I thought I had got rid of the parasites and the fish all seemed to be doing exceptionally well. I also noticed that the regal had once again developed a hole in his top fin. I decided I would do another treatment about 1 week later to get rid of the parasites once and for all. I am now one week into the second treatment and I have noticed white poo from my regal again (unghghghg. WHYYYYYYYY?????). Note: After beginning to dose kanaplex in the regals food again I noticed his fins have begun rapidly healing and he is almost back to normal. Can somebody please advise me on what to do since I am getting very frustrated and would not like to lose one of my fish from lack of fish disease treatment skills. Sorry, this is such a long post but I wanted to provide as much info as possible. Thank you in advance for any help provided!

Aquarium Parameters:
Aquarium type: Fish-only (with inverts and a couple of mushroom corals) Note* I have now invested in a 10-gallon quarantine tank!
Aquarium water volume: 130 gallons (whole system)
Filtration type: refugium with cheatomorpha, skimmer, 3 marine pure 8x8x1", tons of live rock and sand
Lighting: 1 30" viparspectra light (amazon black box)
How long has the aquarium been established? 7 months since the cycle started, 4 months since fish were added
Digital image of the aquarium under white light: ( I am battling some Dino's as well)

2020-12-25 12.50.05.jpg

Water quality (be sure to indicate what measurement units you are using)
Temperature: 78-80 degrees Fahrenheit
pH: currently 7.8 (swings from 7.8 to 8.00 throughout the day)
Salinity / specific gravity: 1.025
Ammonia: undetectable
Nitrite: undetectable
Nitrate: 10 ppm
Phosphorus: 0.03
Copper: Don't have a test kit, however, I did have a copper issue but I removed it all after several extensive water changes and buying a new 6 stage Ro/Di filter (2 months ago)
Other: N/A

In-depth information:
Have you lost any fish to this problem yet?
no, I have not lost any fish and they all appear to be very healthy with a good amount of chub and fantastic colour.

Are any invertebrates affected?
No

Respiration rate of affected fish (in gill beats per minutes, count for 15 seconds and multiply by 4)
(I have never done this so I don't know if I did this step correctly)
72 beats per minute for regal (it was quite difficult to do this since he is constantly moving so this may be slightly inaccurate)
Could not track it with the anthias since he moves too fast, however it appeared to be quite normal

Are the affected fish still feeding?
Yes, all fish are eating very well with a good varied diet. The two confirmed affected fish (regal angelfish and Male lyretail anthias) are both eating, although the regal only eats chopped clam and squid so far. They do not appear to eat voraciously which I heard was one of the symptoms, and after eating a solid amount they appear to be full.

What remedies have you tried so far?
Metroplex and kanaplex (together) note* I live in Canada so fish medications are difficult to get. I do have 500ml of prazi pro and 3 small boxes of metro left, as well as a small box of kanaplex and some focus

Digital image of the fish with the health issue, taken under white light:
2020-11-25 14.40.25.jpg 2020-12-27 17.52.22.jpg
A short video of the fish
(Please ignore my mom talking in the background)

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prominent issue:
After purchasing my regal angel (approx. 5 inches and fat and healthy), I placed him directly into my display tank as I did not have the time or resources to quarantine him (don't shame me, I am fourteen so finding a decent source of income is a tad bit difficult). A few days later I noticed he had white stringy poo. I originally dismissed this since he had not eaten for a while and I was still trying to get him eating. I thought it was probably just some mucus. At the time, he was still very colourful and fat and was beginning to adjust to the tank and come out of his cave more. After he began eating clam I noticed he still had the same white stringy poo and was losing some of his top fins as well as developing holes in his tail. I also noticed one of my lyretail anthias had the same thing going on with his poo so I started freaking out. I ordered (from BRS) 4 small metroplex boxes, 1 small box of focus and 2 small boxes of kanaplex along with some prazipro. I live in Canada so it took a while to arrive since fish meds are illegal for some reason now!!!

At this point, I had talked to a few members on reef2reef who gave me some insight and although I saw absolutely no other symptoms of internal parasites other than the white poo I decided to go through with the humblefish food soak treatment using spirulina and mysis along with a small batch of pellets. The medicated food was mixed with focus, metroplex and kanaplex. The kanaplex was used since I believe the regal had a mild case of fin rot which was creating holes in his tail. I did this for about 3 weeks and I never saw the white poo again, however, I also did not see either "infected" fish poo normally either (this was probably since my fish tend to go hide in their caves and do their business in privet). The regal's fins also began to mend back together. During that time I had convinced my regal to eat chopped squid and began mixing that into the medicated food slurry that was being broadcast fed. About a week after the three weeks of treatment I once again noticed the anthias and regal poop stringy white. I got a bit frustrated since I thought I had got rid of the parasites and the fish all seemed to be doing exceptionally well. I also noticed that the regal had once again developed a hole in his top fin. I decided I would do another treatment about 1 week later to get rid of the parasites once and for all. I am now one week into the second treatment and I have noticed white poo from my regal again (unghghghg. WHYYYYYYYY?????). Note: After beginning to dose kanaplex in the regals food again I noticed his fins have begun rapidly healing and he is almost back to normal. Can somebody please advise me on what to do since I am getting very frustrated and would not like to lose one of my fish from lack of fish disease treatment skills. Sorry, this is such a long post but I wanted to provide as much info as possible. Thank you in advance for any help provided!

Aquarium Parameters:
Aquarium type: Fish-only (with inverts and a couple of mushroom corals) Note* I have now invested in a 10-gallon quarantine tank!
Aquarium water volume: 130 gallons (whole system)
Filtration type: refugium with cheatomorpha, skimmer, 3 marine pure 8x8x1", tons of live rock and sand
Lighting: 1 30" viparspectra light (amazon black box)
How long has the aquarium been established? 7 months since the cycle started, 4 months since fish were added
Digital image of the aquarium under white light: ( I am battling some Dino's as well)

2020-12-25 12.50.05.jpg

Water quality (be sure to indicate what measurement units you are using)
Temperature: 78-80 degrees Fahrenheit
pH: currently 7.8 (swings from 7.8 to 8.00 throughout the day)
Salinity / specific gravity: 1.025
Ammonia: undetectable
Nitrite: undetectable
Nitrate: 10 ppm
Phosphorus: 0.03
Copper: Don't have a test kit, however, I did have a copper issue but I removed it all after several extensive water changes and buying a new 6 stage Ro/Di filter (2 months ago)
Other: N/A

In-depth information:
Have you lost any fish to this problem yet?
no, I have not lost any fish and they all appear to be very healthy with a good amount of chub and fantastic colour.

Are any invertebrates affected?
No

Respiration rate of affected fish (in gill beats per minutes, count for 15 seconds and multiply by 4)
(I have never done this so I don't know if I did this step correctly)
72 beats per minute for regal (it was quite difficult to do this since he is constantly moving so this may be slightly inaccurate)
Could not track it with the anthias since he moves too fast, however it appeared to be quite normal

Are the affected fish still feeding?
Yes, all fish are eating very well with a good varied diet. The two confirmed affected fish (regal angelfish and Male lyretail anthias) are both eating, although the regal only eats chopped clam and squid so far. They do not appear to eat voraciously which I heard was one of the symptoms, and after eating a solid amount they appear to be full.

What remedies have you tried so far?
Metroplex and kanaplex (together) note* I live in Canada so fish medications are difficult to get. I do have 500ml of prazi pro and 3 small boxes of metro left, as well as a small box of kanaplex and some focus

Digital image of the fish with the health issue, taken under white light:
2020-11-25 14.40.25.jpg 2020-12-27 17.52.22.jpg
A short video of the fish
(Please ignore my mom talking in the background)
Hi, take a look at a couple of articles I’ve posted here. One on fish mucus talks a bit about mucus feces. It is at the top of the list. Then, about 11 articles down is one on medicated foods. It explains why soaking food in medication can never really work since the dose isn’t controlled.
Jay

OP
OP
Lil' RegalReefster

Lil' RegalReefster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I read both articles but I am still unsure as to what I should do next. If possible could you provide some guidance or maybe advise me on what I should do next. Thx

OP
OP
Lil' RegalReefster

Lil' RegalReefster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please help anybody, I am confused and some guidance or ideas would very much be appreciated. There is a lot of information out there and I am finding it difficult to find an appropriate course of action.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I read both articles but I am still unsure as to what I should do next. If possible could you provide some guidance or maybe advise me on what I should do next. Thx
It isn't going to be easy, but you should try making a batch of medicated food. First thing you need to do is estimate the weight of the fish in the tank using the guidelines in the article. Then you need to calculate the dose for kanaplex and metronidazole. I can help you with that part - but I'll be offline until tomorrow morning.

Jay

OP
OP
Lil' RegalReefster

Lil' RegalReefster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok, thank you so much! I will take another look at the article and see if I can give the medicated food a go tomorrow. If it helps to estimate the size of the fish I will try and get some measurements tomorow.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
One thing I see in relation is squid-mysis-clam, even mussel and scallop can cause the poo to be white in appearance

OP
OP
Lil' RegalReefster

Lil' RegalReefster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the food I am feeding him is the cause of the white stringy poo, how do I know if it is only the food causing the white poo and not parasites. I don't want to let it sit if he does have parasites and not do anything.

OP
OP
Lil' RegalReefster

Lil' RegalReefster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Jay, if you are available, could you advise me on how I should go about making the medicated food batch. thx again,

Also, I will try and get a pic of the regal's feces to perhaps confirm parasite presence if possible

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The basic recipe is in the article. The components in the recipe don't actually matter all that much - the primary thing that needs to be calculated is the estimated weight of the fish in your tank, as well as the ratio between the water, food items and gelatin. Then, we assume they will be fed 3% of their body weight per day. Therefore, the food needs to contain the right amount of medication for the amount of feed being fed. As I said, once you estimate the total weight of your fish, I can help you with the dosage calculations.

One thing that confuses me though - you said you want to get a picture of the regal's face - I'm not sure I understand what that has to do with internal parasites?

Jay

OP
OP
Lil' RegalReefster

Lil' RegalReefster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a few calculations and reviewing your fish weight chart and scale in the article I estimated the following (my fish are all juveniles except for the regal):

Regal angelfish alone: 14 cm so approx. 25 - 30 grams

Other Fish total weight: 55 grams

All fish: 80-85 grams

2020-12-28 18.21.02-1.jpg

this is the best photo I could get, he is quite camera shy

Attachments

• 2020-12-28 18.21.02-2.jpg
    2020-12-28 18.21.02-2.jpg
    195.3 KB · Views: 38

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
O.K., I think I have a plan:

Let's figure your fish weigh 100 grams total (I think you underestimated the angelfish). Fed at 3% of their body weight per day, that would be 3 grams of food/day.

Kanamycin is dosed at 50mg/kg daily and metronidazole is 100/mg/kg daily.

Your fish weight 10% of that, so they need 5mg Kanamycin and 10 mg metronidazole daily, in 3 grams of food.

Skip the food recipe I wrote about, it is way too much food for your need. You have Focus, right? What you need to do is put 15mg kanamycin and 30 mg metronidazole in 10 grams of Focus plus whatever food you have that the fish like. This equates to about 2 1/2 teaspoons of food/focus/medications. Then, feed the fish a third of that daily for three days.

Complicated? Yeah, but it is more accurate than just mixing medications in unknown amounts (grin).

Jay

OP
OP
Lil' RegalReefster

Lil' RegalReefster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, thank you so much for the help. I will run out and grab a small scale tomorrow to help gauge the amount of meds needed. Since my regal is still picky and he weighs half that of my total amount of fish, I assume it would be ok to make two batches (one with chopped squid and clam for the regal and the other with some mysis and spirulina) using half the required medication in each. Once again thx for the help!

OP
OP
Lil' RegalReefster

Lil' RegalReefster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh no, just realized I only have about 4 grams of focus left. Is that enough? I can order some more if necessary. I want to make sure that the proper dose is being administered.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, thank you so much for the help. I will run out and grab a small scale tomorrow to help gauge the amount of meds needed. Since my regal is still picky and he weighs half that of my total amount of fish, I assume it would be ok to make two batches (one with chopped squid and clam for the regal and the other with some mysis and spirulina) using half the required medication in each. Once again thx for the help!
should be fine, youre just looking at using the focus as a binder,
jay

OP
OP
Lil' RegalReefster

Lil' RegalReefster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. :) Thank god, getting fish medications is a huge pain in the butt in Canada since it's now illegal to sell. Getting 5 grams of meds ends up costing 40$ or more because of the huge price conversion and shipping prices. Just one more unnecessary thing that makes reefing difficult ;)

The Deep

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you and I am new to this site. Please may I ask what I can dose to my fish if I have a clam in the tank.
I believe I have internal worms in my anthias. I have saddleback, evansii and long fin. I have lost three of the saddleback who have been in the tank the longest. I have noticed a dark patch up by the stomach area (I know they dont have a stomach but I am trying to give the location). Until the point of the patch becoming noticeable the fish is feeding well and appears very healthy. the fish then stops feeding but when you add food to the tank immediately acts as if it wants to feed but doesn't.

Since my tank is mainly anthias (building up to purple queen one day) I realise I might lose the whole tank so need to treat. The tank is too large and cluttered (also a reef tank) so I cannot catch the fish. I have a fish trap but it hasnt worked to date. So I have to treat the whole tank presumably with medicated food as per your string. But Please can you give me the best way forward to take account of the clam.
I have a lot of snails which have bred due to lack of predators but no shrimps or crabs.

Please help me. Thank you .

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 29.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back