Intro and help :)

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
In your pictures above that appears to be a thin-lined hermit crab (in picture 3) and it also appears that you have two types of pipefish (possibly a Signathus scovelli in the third picture and possibly a S. floridae in the first picture of post #7 above). More pictures would be necessary to confirm the pipefish, but that will give you a place to start your research for a positive ID. Good luck!

Rick Mathew

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the R2R Family…Great to have you...Very Cool Tank Idea!

…Explore…Learn…Share---Practice Patience

1qNU.gif

OP
OP
Raturner33

Raturner33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef! Are you testing this system? I would definitely check parameters and see where it's at. Ammonia is likely an issue.
I had not been testing until I noticed my fish not doing well. Bought a kit and ammonia was <.25 looked like 0 to me. Wife thought .25. Comparing colors are hard in my opinion lol

OP
OP
Raturner33

Raturner33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salinity slightly low. I believe wood may have leached making it acidic (are you keeping log on ph level?)
Algae- Is tank at or near a window? If so, you are getting strong UV plus temperatures changes to high level when direct sun hits tank. What filtration are you using as it appears with all mentioned above, you suffered from low oxygen concentration.
Thank you for the comment. I do think that temperature may have been an issue with the tank. Would temperature issues lead to low oxygen concentration? Fish were definitely gasping, I just don’t know if temp leads to that.

would you think I should increase salinity despite it matching the water I get straight out of river? Where fish came from? Not to mention it was just so sudden. Healthy for 5 weeks, died in 2 days.

just two sponge filters for now. But I plan on adding more now that this happened.

OP
OP
Raturner33

Raturner33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!! I agree that it is great fun and can be very interesting to collect fish and inverts in the wild. I have done a lot of it in freshwater, brackish, and saltwater. I would strongly caution you to not bring home fish that you aren't able to identify for many reasons, but especially because they could be endangered species. There are many reasons that the fish may not have survived including poor water quality, disease, stress, failed transition to new types of feed, and many more. Certainly some species are able to thrive in home aquaria far better than others. There is an organization called the "North American Native Fishes Association" (NANFA) that has a lot of tips on their website about collecting. Additionally, if you can post pictures of specific fish either water side or in your tank and post them for ID or describe and post pictures and water parameters in the fish disease sub-forum you may be able to get more help there as well. We're glad you're here and wish you the best of luck in your adventure!
Thank you!! I have actually been looking for a resource like that and haven’t come up with anything good. I will definitely check it out. Here is a picture of the guy I added that harassed our needle fish to death. I like the thrill of catching a species I haven’t yet... I tracked this guy down with my net for like 20 minutes haha

9738F64D-C054-4E08-8637-3804101BA7E7.jpeg

OP
OP
Raturner33

Raturner33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In your pictures above that appears to be a thin-lined hermit crab (in picture 3) and it also appears that you have two types of pipefish (possibly a Signathus scovelli in the third picture and possibly a S. floridae in the first picture of post #7 above). More pictures would be necessary to confirm the pipefish, but that will give you a place to start your research for a positive ID. Good luck!
Awesome. Thanks! I’ll post more

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Thank you for the comment. I do think that temperature may have been an issue with the tank. Would temperature issues lead to low oxygen concentration? Fish were definitely gasping, I just don’t know if temp leads to that.

would you think I should increase salinity despite it matching the water I get straight out of river? Where fish came from? Not to mention it was just so sudden. Healthy for 5 weeks, died in 2 days.

just two sponge filters for now. But I plan on adding more now that this happened.
Temperature has effect on oxygen and I ask abut filtration as It is my suspect and likely affecting water quality as sponge cannot provide mechanical filtration, only chemical filtration.
I would suggest even for now, run to Walmart and buy a $15 hang on back power filter. It will provide oxygen, water movement and purification of water.

OP
OP
Raturner33

Raturner33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1B3B8AAE-7D56-44A3-996B-A385261A6306.jpeg DC156C2F-E2C9-4FEC-B69C-BDD1FC3E1034.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_4280.MOV
    29.1 MB

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi horse is soo..cool!! video 1&3 are not working for me,anybody else??

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

I can't see the videos (it is sometimes better to post to YouTube and then include the link). The first picture appears to be some type of spider crab and the second picture is a saltwater ghost shrimp.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 4 11.8%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 27 79.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.9%
Back