Intro + Questions | Moving From FW to Reefing

ioimatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone!

Intro:
This is my first post on R2R so I figured I'd introduce myself before bombarding you all with questions. I've kept freshwater (I know it's way different, but that's why I'm here) planted tanks on and off my entire life. I currently keep two tanks because that's pretty much all I can fit in my small apartment and it's all my SO will allow. My interests in the freshwater world have evolved and shifted over the years from fish only tanks to low tech planted setups with easy plants, to my current 'high tech' set-ups with high lighting, dosing, injected CO2. I started seeing all these awesome reef tanks and got curious so I binged 52 weeks of reefing and started researching obsessively for all the best information on getting off the ground. Coming from FW I'm familiar with cycling, PAR, filtration, etc., but I figured I would come ask the experts before dropping a grand on the wrong equipment.

5G pic:
1587163064338.png

So why am I here?
After some extensive research and pricing out different AIO options (no room for sump), the Nuvo 10 came out as the front-runner as my first set-up as I really don't have space for anything larger at the moment. However I think I'll love it probably take down my 17 gallon in favor of a Fusion 20 or something. The waterbox 10 and RedSea Max Nano also made the short list, but there is so much information and praise for the Nuvo that I figured it was the best option.

That being said - I've made a list of everything I think I'll need to get off the ground. I know some of this equipment is probably overkill for such a small set-up, but I have a feeling I'll like it and I've learned from upgrading way too many times in my backpacking / freshwater addictions hobbies that buying high quality equipment at the beginning will save me in the long run.

Potential Concerns:
  1. 10G is too small to start off with and it'll be hard to keep params in check. Why not just go with a 20?
    1. I reallyyyyy don't have the space right now
    2. I'm meticulous about husbandry for my current nano tanks and do weekly water changes + trimming. I'm also going to invest in an ATO right off the bat and I assume I'll be as diligent with water changes since I do my other two tanks at the same time anyway...
  2. I'll want to upgrade sooner than I think
    1. Yep probably but I'm planning on moving in a year and don't want to move 3 larger set-ups. When the time comes I'm hoping all the equipment will translate over to a slightly larger 20 or 30.

I haven't decided exactly what type of tank I want, but I figured having enough flow and light to open up some coral options wouldn't hurt. Am I missing anything / is anything overkill? I haven't pulled the trigger yet, so I'm open to any / all suggestions.
*** Didn't include Kalkwasser or anything dosing related yet. I want to get the tank cycled and planned out first.

EquipmentDescriptionNotesPrice
TankNuvo 10Comes with Caddy and filter sock, will probably replace sock with filter floss and media$199.00
LightAI Prime HDGood for 20G if I upgrade$209.00
Light MountPrime$35.00
RODI SystemRO Buddie 4 Stage$60.00
ATOXP Duetto$120.00
PowerHeadMP10Programmable for varied flow. Usable if I upgrade. Too strong for 10G?$299.99
Sand10 lb Arag Alive$23.99
Rock10 lb Dry Rock$29.99
SaltHW ReeferSuggestions Welcome$69.99
RefractometerBRSWorth going electronic?$34.99
Test KitAPI (pH, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrates)$23.49
Alkalinity TestHanna$49.95
HeaterNeotherm 50W$51.70
Total:$1,207.09
Thanks for reading my wall of text and I appreciate any / all feedback!

tl:dr: Freshwater guy with 2 FW tanks wants to get into reefing. Wants feedback on equipment choices. Buy once cry once!

Last edited:

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You seem pretty detailed and IMO probably will make the transition well ...
TBH tho you got 2 schools of thought:
buy the right equip the 1st time (which saves a lot)
OR
go slow, spend minimally to see if you like it 1st...I’ve done it all, FW, SW, Reef, killies, wild livebearers Et...and reefing takes the most$$$
my pile of fish junk is like “the land of misfit fish junk “ :rolleyes:

..if you insist on spending ...get a WXM and ApexEl (even for a small tank...trust me), skip the arag live , add hanna low phos, Salifert for Ca, Alk and Nitrate. ..add in skimmer..brand choices many

OP
OP
I

ioimatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You seem pretty detailed and IMO probably will make the transition well ...
TBH tho you got 2 schools of thought:
buy the right equip the 1st time (which saves a lot)
OR
go slow, spend minimally to see if you like it 1st...I’ve done it all, FW, SW, Reef, killies, wild livebearers Et...and reefing takes the most$$$
my pile of fish junk is like “the land of misfit fish junk “ :rolleyes:

..if you insist on spending ...get a WXM and ApexEl (even for a small tank...trust me), skip the arag live , add hanna low phos, Salifert for Ca, Alk and Nitrate. ..add in skimmer..brand choices many
Thanks for the reply!

What are the benefits of having the Apex? I'll be testing my water a lot early on and weekly once things stabilize. The AI Prime has it's own app to control it's settings. Is it so that I can control the return pump and powerhead at the same time? From what I can tell the MP10 has a controller already. On my freshwater tanks I just use wifi switches to turn my co2 and lights on/off. Is there really $600 in value here?

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gheez....Get the Apex and quit asking questions.... ;Dead:p
You think you can just stop at some minsy 10G?
You think you can control yourself ?
Those Aponogetons and crypts got nutin on colorful chalices, scolys and palys. ...
You’ll be jones’n for scoly’s you’ll see ;)

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 37 59.7%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 16 25.8%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 8.1%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 1.6%
Back