Introducing my home 17k gallon reef

Brian Kennedy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might consider reaching out to a public aquarium for guidance on how they handle parasite outbreaks of this scale. @Humblefish is experimenting with H2O2 treatment for marine velvet (and other external parasites), but obviously in much smaller tanks. In one study at a commercial fish hatchery the water was treated with H2O2 and then followed by a rapid 100% water change. The challenge here is that the tomant stage is not effected by the recommended 2x75 ppm doses or 1x150 ppm concentrations. Not to mention what it might do to the corals in the tank. Sorry you're going through this!

OP
OP
H

Hedgedrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might consider reaching out to a public aquarium for guidance on how they handle parasite outbreaks of this scale. @Humblefish is experimenting with H2O2 treatment for marine velvet (and other external parasites), but obviously in much smaller tanks. In one study at a commercial fish hatchery the water was treated with H2O2 and then followed by a rapid 100% water change. The challenge here is that the tomant stage is not effected by the recommended 2x75 ppm doses or 1x150 ppm concentrations. Not to mention what it might do to the corals in the tank. Sorry you're going through this!
Tomorrow the mobile team of tsm is coming over to house to catch some fish and scrape under microscope. I now think it could be easy peasy fluke outbreak. But i wait till tomorrow

Last edited:

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tomorrow the mobile team of tsm is coming over to house to catch some fish and scrape under microscope. I know think it could be easy peasy fluke outbreak. But i wait till tomorrow
That would be so much easier to handle. You’ll make Hikari rich treating that tank though.

Roush2000

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really awesome tank It’s mind blowing and all, but for some reason all I can think about is how impossible it would be to control aiptasia if it ever got in there...... LOL

Lol just buy a couple copperband butterflies and they’d be gone

Roush2000

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dont like to talk costs cause its stupid insanity. Lists are in my head. !!

Lol I was thinking a similar question, but figured I could pm you! My estimates just kept going up in my head as I saw the infrastructure, electrical, plumbing, backups, filtration!!! INSANE!! I consider myself a VERY experienced aquarist but this is over my head!!!

Calebb8133

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have spent the last 3 hours reading just about every comment and reply on all 28 pages of this forum! Amazes me that we can almost totally reproduce the what the ocean does with almost no effort at all (after the enital set up and cost of course but after that it is all automated)! 500g is a dream tank for me and when I get it I can only imagine what the hobby will have turned into! (Hopefully for the better!) This tank is an example of progress in the hobby and it is amazing! Congrats on your new tank and can't wait to c it in a few months when it is fully stocked with fish and corals!!

OP
OP
H

Hedgedrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have spent the last 3 hours reading just about every comment and reply on all 28 pages of this forum! Amazes me that we can almost totally reproduce the what the ocean does with almost no effort at all (after the enital set up and cost of course but after that it is all automated)! 500g is a dream tank for me and when I get it I can only imagine what the hobby will have turned into! (Hopefully for the better!) This tank is an example of progress in the hobby and it is amazing! Congrats on your new tank and can't wait to c it in a few months when it is fully stocked with fish and corals!!
Thx so much calebb!!

Thaxxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1574897519501.jpeg

giphy.gif

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 45 47.4%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 22 23.2%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 22 23.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 6.3%
Back