Introduction and New Tank Build

Rakolde

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone my name is Dylan, I have been keeping FW tank for about 2-3 years. It was a discus tank and was running great for awhile then I decided to add a couple more without quarantine, I lost everything about 3-4 months ago $2500 in discus because of a stupid mistake. I decided to leave fishkeeping so I sold everything, I couldn't handle not having fish about a 2 months ago I decided instead of going back to discus I would try something new and go marine. I read for a month before even looking for a tank. The end of october I decided I would give it a shot, I searched for a used tank and found what I was looking for in a week. 72 gallon bowfront with everything I needed to start keeping a marine aquarium, about 400gal worth of salt, 40lbs Live rock 40lbs of new sand, protein skimmer, t5 lights and a cycled tank so I could start and not have to cycle it. I have enjoyed this as much as discus and I loved them alot and is still my all time favourite fish. It's only been a month and decided this isn't big enough anymore and I want as big as will fit in the house.

Here is the planned build, I think it's perfect but i'll let some experienced people make sure I'm not missing something that I didn't think of.

Aquarium:

180 gallon(72x22x26") Rimless Starphire Front Aquarium
Center Overflow with Herbie Style Drain(1.5") and Single Return(1")
100lbs dry rock give or take
100lbs live sand​

Filtration:

85 Gallon Sump(60x18x18")
4 Sections

1st section(10x18x15") will have poret foam(2" 10ppi,20ppi,30ppi) for mechanical filter.

2nd section(15x18x12") will have a CoralBox Cloud 9 Skimmer.

3rd section(11x18x12") will have 3 x MarinePure blocks and heaters not sure on heaters.

4th section(23x18x15") return pump will be Jebao DCS 12000 pump with manifold for reactors.

Aiming for about 6x(1100gph) DT turnover rate

Will be running 2-3 reactors, bio-pellets, carbon and possibly purigen probably a uv sterilzer too.​

Lighting:

2 x Orphek Atlantik v4​

Controllers and Water Quality:

I am using tapwater and Coralife salt now and it seems to be pretty decent stuff have had no issues with it, I know most will say use RO/DI but I have no severe algae problems or any other problem with water. The only filtering I will be doing before mixing salt is sediment and carbon block. I may consider RO/DI if any corals I add are having problems.

I am undecided between the Apex, Apex Jr. or ReefKeeper. I want to be able to monitor Temperature, pH and Salinity. I want to control as much of my equipment from 1 app.

I want to setup dosing pumps eventually for Calcium and Kh but not to worried about it at the moment but suggestions on what pumps and solutions would be appreciated.​

Circulation:

I plan to run 2 x CoralBox QP-9(2375gph Max) or 4 x QP-5(1375gph Max), I've read that a bunch of smaller powerheads is better than just 1-2 bigger ones so i am leaning towards 4 smaller powerheads. Either way it's 30x DT turnover with return give or take.

Stock:

Fish;

2 x Occelaris Clowns
One-Spot Foxface
Yellow Tang
Purple Tang
Sleeper Banded Goby
Banggai Cardinal
Wrasse of some sort
Royal Gramma Basslet or Black Cap Basslet
Possibly a Yellow tale Damsel
Small group of chromis
Zebra Moray Eel​

Inverts:

10 x Trochus Snail
10 x Cerith Snails
8 x Nassarius Snails
20 x Red-Legged Hermits
10 x Scarlet Hermit
6 x Emerald Crab
2 x Sifting Star
4 x Brittle Star
3 x Peppermint Shrimp
Bubble Tip Anemone eventually.​

Corals:

Mostly Softies, LPS and Mushrooms. Mabey a couple SPS

I think I covered everything. Any advice and suggestions would be appreciated, all feedback is welcome good or bad.​

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone my name is Dylan, I have been keeping FW tank for about 2-3 years. It was a discus tank and was running great for awhile then I decided to add a couple more without quarantine, I lost everything about 3-4 months ago $2500 in discus because of a stupid mistake. I decided to leave fishkeeping so I sold everything, I couldn't handle not having fish about a 2 months ago I decided instead of going back to discus I would try something new and go marine. I read for a month before even looking for a tank. The end of october I decided I would give it a shot, I searched for a used tank and found what I was looking for in a week. 72 gallon bowfront with everything I needed to start keeping a marine aquarium, about 400gal worth of salt, 40lbs Live rock 40lbs of new sand, protein skimmer, t5 lights and a cycled tank so I could start and not have to cycle it. I have enjoyed this as much as discus and I loved them alot and is still my all time favourite fish. It's only been a month and decided this isn't big enough anymore and I want as big as will fit in the house.

Here is the planned build, I think it's perfect but i'll let some experienced people make sure I'm not missing something that I didn't think of.

Aquarium:

180 gallon(72x22x26") Rimless Starphire Front Aquarium
Center Overflow with Herbie Style Drain(1.5") and Single Return(1")
100lbs dry rock give or take
100lbs live sand​

Filtration:

85 Gallon Sump(60x18x18")
4 Sections

1st section(10x18x15") will have poret foam(2" 10ppi,20ppi,30ppi) for mechanical filter.

2nd section(15x18x12") will have a CoralBox Cloud 9 Skimmer.

3rd section(11x18x12") will have 3 x MarinePure blocks and heaters not sure on heaters.

4th section(23x18x15") return pump will be Jebao DCS 12000 pump with manifold for reactors.

Aiming for about 6x(1100gph) DT turnover rate

Will be running 2-3 reactors, bio-pellets, carbon and possibly purigen probably a uv sterilzer too.​

Lighting:

2 x Orphek Atlantik v4​

Controllers and Water Quality:

I am using tapwater and Coralife salt now and it seems to be pretty decent stuff have had no issues with it, I know most will say use RO/DI but I have no severe algae problems or any other problem with water. The only filtering I will be doing before mixing salt is sediment and carbon block. I may consider RO/DI if any corals I add are having problems.

I am undecided between the Apex, Apex Jr. or ReefKeeper. I want to be able to monitor Temperature, pH and Salinity. I want to control as much of my equipment from 1 app.

I want to setup dosing pumps eventually for Calcium and Kh but not to worried about it at the moment but suggestions on what pumps and solutions would be appreciated.​

Circulation:

I plan to run 2 x CoralBox QP-9(2375gph Max) or 4 x QP-5(1375gph Max), I've read that a bunch of smaller powerheads is better than just 1-2 bigger ones so i am leaning towards 4 smaller powerheads. Either way it's 30x DT turnover with return give or take.

Stock:

Fish;

2 x Occelaris Clowns
One-Spot Foxface
Yellow Tang
Purple Tang
Sleeper Banded Goby
Banggai Cardinal
Wrasse of some sort
Royal Gramma Basslet or Black Cap Basslet
Possibly a Yellow tale Damsel
Small group of chromis
Zebra Moray Eel​

Inverts:

10 x Trochus Snail
10 x Cerith Snails
8 x Nassarius Snails
20 x Red-Legged Hermits
10 x Scarlet Hermit
6 x Emerald Crab
2 x Sifting Star
4 x Brittle Star
3 x Peppermint Shrimp
Bubble Tip Anemone eventually.​

Corals:

Mostly Softies, LPS and Mushrooms. Mabey a couple SPS

I think I covered everything. Any advice and suggestions would be appreciated, all feedback is welcome good or bad.​
Welcome to R2R!!
welcome12_af875eaa887ed91c39e4c81c7d4fd966-0ed06ab93ea565647147c6beddbca4eb.gif
tenor.gif
I'll be the first to say it, either get yourself an rodi unit or buy it from your LFS because while you're not having any algea issues, your heavy metals (more importantly copper) are going to start building up in the tank, and your corals are going to hate it. Why spend on a fortune on equipment and then skimp on water quality? You'll have troubles keeping corals right out of the gate. But good luck and welcome to the forum! :)

DLHDesign

Ex-Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! Nice first post. :)

I may consider RO/DI if any corals I add are having problems.
Note that by the time corals are reacting to any possible issues, it's likely too late to fix. The main concerns are toxins and trace elements. Both of which - once they get in your tank - can (will most likely) be absorbed into your rocks and sand. You can remove and replace the sand, of course, but doing so with the rocks is basically a total tear-down. You also can't remove all the problem stuff via water changes - some will always be left behind.
You can get a basic RO/DI system for under $100 right now ($140 normal price). When you consider how much you'll have invested in fish, coral, and inverts, I'd think that this relatively minor investment would be a slam-dunk...

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R and your new reefing community. Sounds like a good plan. I guess I'll be the second (edit...third) to say you're going you want a RODI unit. Too many unknowns in tap water, if not now, down the road.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! Glad you have decided to share with us!

I think you have a solid plan even though I prefer filter socks to foam pads. As long as you clean them regularly either works.

Only other issue I noticed is in your stocking list. You may have aggression issues between the yellow and purple tangs. They are very similar. You can have both, just be aware that you need to add them at the same time while they are about the same size for the best chance at success.

Ruben's Reef

Ruben's Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R. I also have Discus before making the switch to saltwater . I sold all my Discus and just have a 55 with Mbunas that might sell soon. A lot to learn here before setting up a tank. You have a good lineup of equipments but an advice, don’t make the same mistake of not quarantine. I’m already cycling my quarantine tank while finishing my DT.

ourcoralreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome
Bigger is better
Don’t go with the apex jr its limited ho with a used classic they are cheap i don’t have experience with the reefkeepers but i know its allot more programming
Good luck looking forward to seeing your build

OP
OP
R

Rakolde

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking into buying a RO/DI filter, I'm already paying alot for the setup might aswell spend a couple hundred extra and make sure I have perfect water. Looking at getting a BRS 6 Stage 150gpd unit.

ourcoralreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking into buying a RO/DI filter, I'm already paying alot for the setup might aswell spend a couple hundred extra and make sure I have perfect water. Looking at getting a BRS 6 Stage 150gpd unit.

How bad is your city water personally 4 stage is good enough for me (i have 5 stage only because it was a good deal)

but if you have very bad water then go with the 6

sdcosta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your water contains chloromines get the 6 stage Rodi unit

OP
OP
R

Rakolde

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The water here isn't bad but chlormines are used and so is fluoride. I am undecided on the 5 stage and 6 stage. City water quality reports show 2.09 mg/l total chlorine/chloromines and 0.66 mg/l fluoride. Is the 5 stage capable of dealing with that amount?

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dylan, welcome to R2R. Well laid out plan.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome home, you will love it here!

Tank pics please! Keep us updated on the build! :)

OP
OP
R

Rakolde

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought I would post my current tank.

72g Bowfront with 15g sump
Vertex Protein Skimmer(had)

Stock:
2 Ocellaris Clown's
One-Spot Foxface
Yellow Tang
Sleeper Banded Goby
Coral Beauty Angel
5 yellow-Tail Damsels
5 Green Chromis
Cardinal
2 Emerald Crabs
8 Hermits(had)
6 Snails(had)
2 Brittle Stars
Sand Sifting Star

I had a major problem the other day. I did a water change before bed and couldn't get the skimmer to start again, fiddled with it for a good 45min before it started. I went to turn the light off and noticed the fish acting very strange as they were all laying in the sand and the return was pushing what looked like micro bubbles. They weren't the usual one's that i've seen, they were really frothy and thick. I checked the sump and the protein skimmer was creating it and the pump was making weird noises that I didn't notice untill I opened the cabinet. I unplugged it and pulled the skimmer out and waited for 10min to see if the fish were just stressed from what ever the skimmer was pushing out. It just got worse in that 10min, I had about 10g of water left from the water change so I put all the livestock in it and everything recovered in about 20min. I lost 1 chromi, all my snails and hermits. The starfish are still recovering. I drained the tank/sump and pulled the rock, rinsed the tank and sump with fresh water and siphoned the top layer of sand out. Rinsed the rock with freshly mixed saltwater very well before redoing all the aquascaping. I put all the fish back into the tank and waited 45min before finally going to bed at 3:30AM after praying I wake up to no dead fish.

The fish seem better than they were before this happened. Appetites have gone through the roof seems like they can't get enough, when I walk near the tank they rush to the front thinking they are getting food. I was feeding once a day and they never finished even after an hour, now it's gone in 10min 3x day. They are very active compared to before also.

Sorry about the picture can never get the front clean.

24819184_1545185075602090_2127586759_o.jpg

OP
OP
R

Rakolde

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought I would post some pictures of the 3D model of my design plans for the build.

Couple changes in dimensions, the tank is now 72x26x26" and the sump is 60x22x18".

The overflow box will be coast to coast now across the whole back.

What are your thoughts on the sump?

Front.png

Top.png

Left.png

Sump.png

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 202 70.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 21 7.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 54 18.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 2.8%
Back