introduction to reef chemistry!!!!

CustomReefCreations

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 4, 2012
Messages
113
Reaction score
24
Location
Moore
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
please read this. it is something I would like to use as an intro to reef chemistry. It was written by Randy Holmes-Farley. Who in my opinion is a reef chemistry GOD :) this is an educated read that beginners can understand as well as advanced hobbyist can learn from. I preach daily about learning the basics, and if you can mirror natural seawater parameters you can have success in this hobby. http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...+seawater+parameters&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us
 
Last edited:
Very good info. Great reading.
 
Good article to post Bill. It's a most for all new reefers IMO. Understanding basic water chemistry will save you hundreds if not thousands of dollars in this hobby.
 
I recommend everybody own quality test kits. Salifert, Elos, Hanna checker. Also a refractometer.
Just an example. I got an emergency call from one of my accounts saying she had her water tested by a store that was closer. They used a hydrometer and API test kits. They told her her salinity was 1.0 12! And nitrates 160, alk 6
Let's just say I made an emergency trip to Edmond and everything was fine. It's my goal to help any hobbyist understand Reef chemistry.
Ask questions to try and learn and understand
Happy reefing!
 
Last edited:

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 3 5.4%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 14 25.0%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 14 25.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 16.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 14.3%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 3 5.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new