Introduction

jeepreefer1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, My name is Marty. I am 53 and live in South Carolina but originally from Florida. I tried reefing 10 yrs ago pretty much unsuccessfully with the acres and SPS. I did ok with LPS but then got out and sold my stuff. Now I am single again and bought a Waterbox Marine 60.2. The tank is 3 weeks old. I started with turbo start, rock, and a 1 inch live sand. I have a simplicity skimmer and an AI Prime HD light. Things are going well so far. I am dosing All for Reef and trying to dial it in to keep things stable. Fish are doing well, Powder Blue Tang, Orchid Dottyback, Carpenter's Fairy Wrasse, and Cherub Angel. I have a bag of carbon in sump, also a bag of chemipure plus some small pieces of rock for more bio. I am keeping salinity at 1.025 and yesterday Alkalinity was 7.9. Does anyone else have a similar setup as mine with the Waterbox Marine with an AI Prime HD light? What do you think so far? I do not like the disco ball affect of the light but I ordered the 3d reef diffuser hoping that will help.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
welcome42.gif

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!! Easley is a great "neck of the woods" to live in and lots of good jeepin' in that area!

Clownfish.gif

LegendaryCG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, My name is Marty. I am 53 and live in South Carolina but originally from Florida. I tried reefing 10 yrs ago pretty much unsuccessfully with the acres and SPS. I did ok with LPS but then got out and sold my stuff. Now I am single again and bought a Waterbox Marine 60.2. The tank is 3 weeks old. I started with turbo start, rock, and a 1 inch live sand. I have a simplicity skimmer and an AI Prime HD light. Things are going well so far. I am dosing All for Reef and trying to dial it in to keep things stable. Fish are doing well, Powder Blue Tang, Orchid Dottyback, Carpenter's Fairy Wrasse, and Cherub Angel. I have a bag of carbon in sump, also a bag of chemipure plus some small pieces of rock for more bio. I am keeping salinity at 1.025 and yesterday Alkalinity was 7.9. Does anyone else have a similar setup as mine with the Waterbox Marine with an AI Prime HD light? What do you think so far? I do not like the disco ball affect of the light but I ordered the 3d reef diffuser hoping that will help.

Welcome back, All for reef is a great product. I do think you will not have enough light with a single prime on a 60G, 2 or even 3 are more appropriate if you want to grow a lot of SPS, or op for a larger spread light like the Hydras. You can use the wattage as a guide to some extent with a 60G tank I’d be looking for around 140 to 200W of LED power.

OP
OP
jeepreefer1

jeepreefer1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!! Just a question, are you dosing all for reef because your alkalinity is depleting? I would be shocked that such a new tank needs dosing already unless you have tons of SPS in there.

I am dosing just to slowly raise alk a little up into the 8's. I have just a few frags of sps and a few lps.

OP
OP
jeepreefer1

jeepreefer1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome back, All for reef is a great product. I do think you will not have enough light with a single prime on a 60G, 2 or even 3 are more appropriate if you want to grow a lot of SPS, or op for a larger spread light like the Hydras. You can use the wattage as a guide to some extent with a 60G tank I’d be looking for around 140 to 200W of LED power.

Thank you, I saw that very thing on Bulk Reef Supply video for the Prime HD. They said one would not be quite enough for SPS. They suggested 2 lights or a hybrid T5/LED. Both options should help with shadowing also because I have plenty of that right now.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 106 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.6%
Back