Introductions: FW to SW

TL1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Introducing myself to the community...

A little about me: 30's, married no kids, engineer, tech nerd, aquarium enthusiast. I've been keeping tropical fish for ~7 years now with the last 3 or 4 being dedicated to planted aquariums. Growing up my dad had a 90g and then 180g softie tank, which got me started in the hobby.

For my current planted display tank, and latest build, I bought a Reefer 350 and decked it out with tech, knowing that in time I would want to start a reef tank. Happy to talk about it if anyone is interested.

...so here I am, starting my research and making the jump. Planning a build thread later this year.

Also, I already posted a yet unanswered question about using my three XR15FW's for lighting a reef tank. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,

TL

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!! Radions are great lights, but the spectrum and par for FW light is different, so I am not sure if they will work. If possible, I would upgrade to a reef specific light.

Last edited:

Bryn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R. Sounds like you have a lot of this already organized with a plan forward. Looking forward to the build thread. As you came from planted tank FW, be interesting to see if you incorporate any Macro Algae in the design.

giphy.gif

Jimbhoy13

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Introducing myself to the community...

A little about me: 30's, married no kids, engineer, tech nerd, aquarium enthusiast. I've been keeping tropical fish for ~7 years now with the last 3 or 4 being dedicated to planted aquariums. Growing up my dad had a 90g and then 180g softie tank, which got me started in the hobby.

For my current planted display tank, and latest build, I bought a Reefer 350 and decked it out with tech, knowing that in time I would want to start a reef tank. Happy to talk about it if anyone is interested.

...so here I am, starting my research and making the jump. Planning a build thread later this year.

Also, I already posted a yet unanswered question about using my three XR15FW's for lighting a reef tank. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,

TL
Welcome to R2R and the salty world TR. sorry I don’t know anything about those lights. Maybe a forum search will find a previous post where someone has reviewed them.

OP
OP
TL1

TL1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!! Radions are great lights, but the spectrum and par for FW light is different, so I am not sure if they will work. If possible, I would upgrade to a reef specific light.

Planning to, but the question becomes when... since that's a huge chunk of change I could spend elsewhere on the transition.

Seffner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the welcome... I've definitely considered it. I I've always liked this setup.

1593538134979.png
Welcome to Reef2Reef. I can't answer technical questions about lights (or really any specific equipment for that matter, I'm pretty new to all this) but I can tell you that I am a big fan of this type of tank to. Hopefully one day I will have a fish room with about six or eight different types of display tanks! I look forward to seeing your build thread.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.3%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 42 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 161 66.8%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back