Invert "only" tank. Compatibility & stocking

BurlyWizard

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there,

I am setting up a shallow mangrove lagoon in the IM 25 Fusion. I'm hoping for an exposed rock "volcano" look with a few mangroves (purchasing already sprouting roots) and as many critters aA possibile. I would like a few fish, but species is flexible, the tank is really about the inverts.

As far as stocking, I'd like to maximize movement, especially with shrimp. I've heard shrimp do not add to the bioload, and it's more about them having enough food. This is what I'm thinking, but keep me in line:

- 1 urchin, likely oincusi
- 1 serpent star
- 1 skunk cleaner shrimp
- 1 blood shrimp
- 5 camel back or peppermint shrimp
- 3 or so emerald crabs
- 3 or so Sally Lightfoots
- potentially an arrow crab
- potentially some porcelain, pom pom, or other fun crabs
- as far as fish, thinking 3 yellowtail damsels as they won't mess with the inverts and should still provide some color and good movement

Can y'all think of anything else that may add movement and would be compatible? Also, any concerns with the above?

Thanks!

EvanDeVita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure if this is true, but my LFS told me that you need a big tank to keep multiple cleaner shrimp. The skunk and blood shrimp will probably not get along well, but peppermint shrimp should be fine. Serpent stars are kinda active (u said u wanted active critters) but pretty much only at night time. The same goes for
blood shrimp. Another warning is of the Sally lightfoot crabs, they get much bigger than you may expect and can be aggressive towards sleeping fish if you're not careful. They are super cool though, I've had them before :)

You didn't mention corals, but having an Anemone/crab relationship is a pretty cool choice. Another possibility is a goby/shrimp pair.

OP
OP
B

BurlyWizard

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the response, I appreciate it. Maybe I'll nix the sally lightfoot then. I've had a skunk and blood in the same tank before, so I was going to give that a try again. Maybe I could go for peppermint and camelback instead of the blood.

Not going for anemones or corals based on this being on the lower maintenance side of things. Cheap china light and no fancy powerheads.

In terms of the serpent star, yeah I had heard they were active at night, but really just trying to think of other additions to the tank that may be scurrying around.

One typo from the original post: meant to say PINCUSHION urchin.

Any other invert suggestions?

EvanDeVita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the response, I appreciate it. Maybe I'll nix the sally lightfoot then. I've had a skunk and blood in the same tank before, so I was going to give that a try again. Maybe I could go for peppermint and camelback instead of the blood.

Not going for anemones or corals based on this being on the lower maintenance side of things. Cheap china light and no fancy powerheads.

In terms of the serpent star, yeah I had heard they were active at night, but really just trying to think of other additions to the tank that may be scurrying around.

One typo from the original post: meant to say PINCUSHION urchin.

Any other invert suggestions?
My tuxedo urchin is really cute, and you can get hermit crabs. Watching them play around is adorable

nick_md

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I highly support the inclusion of 2-3 porcelain or anemone crabs on your list! Watching them wave their little feeding appendages (maxillipeds) is quite entertaining.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back