Invertebrate Question

hawkbait

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently acquired a coral banded shrimp. Can I also get a cleaner shrimp or peppermint shrimp too? Will they fight or will they be alright? I like shrimp I have a whole fresh water tank dedicated to shrimp.

Dragon52

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Per LA
Though the Banded Coral Shrimp can be aggressive towards other Banded Coral Shrimp and smaller shrimp of different species, most are peaceful towards fish, corals, and invertebrates within your aquarium. Because of its aggressive disposition towards other Banded Coral Shrimp, the Banded Coral Shrimp should be housed individually or kept as a true mated pair.

OP
OP
hawkbait

hawkbait

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well unfortunate news. I came home and the shrimp killed an emerald crab and took life threatening wounds. Mr crabs has been with us for several months (Tank is 3+ months old) so it’s a sad day.

Jason Scalise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry to hear that. been there. It's like a Mutual of Omaha Wild Kingdom thing.

Currently, I have a banded coral shrimp along side 2 camelback shrimp, 3 emeralds, 2 porcelain crabs, 1 fire shrimp and one pistol shrimp, 2 pithy crabs and various other hermits. All living in peace for the last 12 mo. In fact the camelbacks hang out in the same grotto as the coral banded and they don't seem to notice each other.

that said, it is a 100gallon tank and perhaps they have plenty of elbow room and not a lot of competition for food (as others have said).

could also be that you coral banded was/is just a jerk. that happens.

OP
OP
hawkbait

hawkbait

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you place all of those at different times or all at once? I have a 90 gal display so they should have similarish room.

I think I’m going to add my other shrimp first. Wait for a banded shrimp and get a younger one.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back