Inverts and Ich please help

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you changed of the water and wiped down the tank would it still be unsafe for inverts?

To answer an earlier question, I'd keep going with the current treatment. It's already started, so you might as well finish it. Especially if you don't have an accurate copper test kit.

Yes and no. The silicone I am told can absorb some copper, which can be released later on. However, my 55 gallon display tank, I used as a quarantine with copper in the beginning. I ran Cuprisorb to pull the copper out, and as mentioned, that tank is now my display. Inverts and corals are doing just fine.

However, I would recommend if you have space for it, to set up a second quarantine specifically for inverts. That way you can leave it running with a bit of rock and such. Run a batch of inverts, which is as simple as adding and waiting 45 days, then move to display. Then just leave it running and keep it topped up for next time. I've found quarantining inverts in a new, sterile tank tends to have a very high mortality rate.

OP
OP
Gonj

Gonj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t add ammonia to the tank with living things in there- this will kill all your inverts. Also I wouldn’t get the urchin- they eat a lot and if your tank is new enough to not by cycled then its very likely its not anywhere near mature enough for an urchin. These days the best way to cycle the tank is with nothing alive in it.

most people add a bacteria additive and and a small piece of table shrimp or manually dose ammonia until the tank proves it can process the ammonia with 24 hours- once thats done add some inverts (not an urchin) like crabs and snails, make sure they do ok for a while, then add your pair of clowns- so on and so forth until the tank is fully stocked.
Issue is urchin was a gift and the place it was bought from will not take it back I don’t really have a place for it either than to introduce it to my tank. If I add some seaweed on a clip and feed the tank periodically will it be okay?

OP
OP
Gonj

Gonj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t add ammonia to the tank with living things in there- this will kill all your inverts. Also I wouldn’t get the urchin- they eat a lot and if your tank is new enough to not by cycled then its very likely its not anywhere near mature enough for an urchin. These days the best way to cycle the tank is with nothing alive in it.

most people add a bacteria additive and and a small piece of table shrimp or manually dose ammonia until the tank proves it can process the ammonia with 24 hours- once thats done add some inverts (not an urchin) like crabs and snails, make sure they do ok for a while, then add your pair of clowns- so on and so forth until the tank is fully stocked.
And if I’m not adding ammonia will my tank continue to cycle or will it get stuck? Just kind of confused if I should be doing something about that.

OP
OP
Gonj

Gonj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To answer an earlier question, I'd keep going with the current treatment. It's already started, so you might as well finish it. Especially if you don't have an accurate copper test kit.

Yes and no. The silicone I am told can absorb some copper, which can be released later on. However, my 55 gallon display tank, I used as a quarantine with copper in the beginning. I ran Cuprisorb to pull the copper out, and as mentioned, that tank is now my display. Inverts and corals are doing just fine.

However, I would recommend if you have space for it, to set up a second quarantine specifically for inverts. That way you can leave it running with a bit of rock and such. Run a batch of inverts, which is as simple as adding and waiting 45 days, then move to display. Then just leave it running and keep it topped up for next time. I've found quarantining inverts in a new, sterile tank tends to have a very high mortality rate.
Got it the bottle only has treatment instructions for 4 days does that mean I just do frequent water changes the remaining weeks until I can plop the clown back in the dt?

OP
OP
Gonj

Gonj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also I posted on another forum when I noticed the spots on my clown and they disagreed with my LFS diagnosis of ich any thoughts on this? Photo attached below for anyone willing to chime in.

Attachments

• 998D3AA1-DE50-4A4B-883A-49BBDBB97026.jpeg
    998D3AA1-DE50-4A4B-883A-49BBDBB97026.jpeg
    178.1 KB · Views: 42

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got it the bottle only has treatment instructions for 4 days does that mean I just do frequent water changes the remaining weeks until I can plop the clown back in the dt?

I will also add, I have no experience with super ich cure, but I assume it works. But pretty much, yeah. Once the treatment is done, control ammonia with water changes and/or seachem prime. Keep an eye out for and return infection.

As to the picture, to me, honestly that looks like velvet or a really, really bad case of ich. I've had both in my tanks, and that definitely looks more like velvet. There's threads by Humblefish on the various fish diseases, outlining the various signs and symptoms. But the key differences are velvet will cause fish to breath rapidly, swim into areas of flow, and light sensitivity. If the clown was displaying any of that prior to death, it's likely velvet. If not, really bad ich. Probably.

As always, my disclaimer is I am not an expert, and if anyone with more experience tells you otherwise, believe them over me.

OP
OP
Gonj

Gonj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will also add, I have no experience with super ich cure, but I assume it works. But pretty much, yeah. Once the treatment is done, control ammonia with water changes and/or seachem prime. Keep an eye out for and return infection.

As to the picture, to me, honestly that looks like velvet or a really, really bad case of ich. I've had both in my tanks, and that definitely looks more like velvet. There's threads by Humblefish on the various fish diseases, outlining the various signs and symptoms. But the key differences are velvet will cause fish to breath rapidly, swim into areas of flow, and light sensitivity. If the clown was displaying any of that prior to death, it's likely velvet. If not, really bad ich. Probably.

As always, my disclaimer is I am not an expert, and if anyone with more experience tells you otherwise, believe them over me.
Thanks so much for all the info would you know if I should treat the dt any different if it was velvet? Or would the 45 day quarantine be sufficient

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks so much for all the info would you know if I should treat the dt any different if it was velvet? Or would the 45 day quarantine be sufficient

45 days is sufficient for Velvet as well. Velvet is a protozoan parasite with the same life cycle as ich, but reproduces much faster, hence the increased spots and mortality.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 36.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 26.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back