Inverts keep dying

Agentkyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my 30 gallon reef I cannot for the life of me , keep a snail or crab alive.
I have Duncan’s , I have shrimp, I have anemone sabea, a hippo tang, clowns and damsels.
I have 1 power head and an fx4 filter so turn over is like 800-900 gallon. I run led for day, and t5 for blue night for a few hours.

I’ve tested everything- I have ro di water - ive tested for leakage voltage and cannot figure this out.
I did just treat for Cyano though as a result of killing out Dino’s.
Any help would be great

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
In my 30 gallon reef I cannot for the life of me , keep a snail or crab alive.
I have Duncan’s , I have shrimp, I have anemone sabea, a hippo tang, clowns and damsels.
I have 1 power head and an fx4 filter so turn over is like 800-900 gallon. I run led for day, and t5 for blue night for a few hours.

I’ve tested everything- I have ro di water - ive tested for leakage voltage and cannot figure this out.
I did just treat for Cyano though as a result of killing out Dino’s.
Any help would be great

Welcome to R2R!!! Have you ever had copper in the tank (even a while ago)?

Also, when you have time and if you're comfortable I encourage you to consider posting an introduction in the "Meet & Greet Forum". Thanks. :)

OP
OP
A

Agentkyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!! Have you ever had copper in the tank (even a while ago)?

Also, when you have time and if you're comfortable I encourage you to consider posting an introduction in the "Meet & Greet Forum". Thanks. :)

Lol i had assumed that would be the first response. Not to my knowledge. And I don’t believe you can get test kits here for copper. Might order one online just to see. But I can’t see at what point i would of ever had copper near my tank.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Lol i had assumed that would be the first response. Not to my knowledge. And I don’t believe you can get test kits here for copper. Might order one online just to see. But I can’t see at what point i would of ever had copper near my tank.

Considering whether the inverts die quickly or live for a while may also be a helpful thing to consider. A few other things to consider - make sure they have a full acclimation period. Review the specific gravity of your tank and make sure that all of the salt is dissolved before you add the water to the tank. Also it is recommended to specifically feed the inverts and not just let the eat whatever happens to fall to the bottom. Good luck!

OP
OP
A

Agentkyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Considering whether the inverts die quickly or live for a while may also be a helpful thing to consider. A few other things to consider - make sure they have a full acclimation period. Review the specific gravity of your tank and make sure that all of the salt is dissolved before you add the water to the tank. Also it is recommended to specifically feed the inverts and not just let the eat whatever happens to fall to the bottom. Good luck!

They usually don’t make it longer then a day. I’ve tried every recommendation - drip acclimation to temp and go as per people’s recommendations. Only thing I haven’t tried is seeing if they live in qt first. The longest I’ve seen was an emerald live for 4-5 days.
I mix my water for min of 48 hours prior - power head in bucket. I measure my salinity with a refract and gravity salinity checker- and never let it sway more then .02. Is obviously prefer a auto too off but haven’t invested in one yet.
I feed frozen and pellet and a little sponge mixed. And I also put a little phyto in.

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good points brought up.
Do they die or disappear?
Have you checked the salinity level of your livestock source?

OP
OP
A

Agentkyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good points brought up.
Do they die or disappear?
Have you checked the salinity level of your livestock source?

Their salinity is almost on par with my own. And assuming a drip acclamation would balance any small swing. They only have one small tank at my lps.
They die. Any snails; hermits , or emeralds..

Indytraveler83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I order from reefcleaners they specify not to open the bag until you release the snails/crabs. The guide they send states that they can handle parameters swings ok, but are absolutely intolerant of ammonia, which activates when you open the bag. They recommend temp acclimation only.

In addition have you tried multiple sources? Maybe it’s not you, but your supplier.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never had a prob with Reefcleaners livestock. Temp acclimate then drop.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never had a prob with Reefcleaners livestock. Temp acclimate then drop.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they recommend temp acclimation only, I’d do that. And not drip. I only temp acclimate my inverts. They always make it with a complete drop in the tank.

Btw- I’d recommend running T5 longer and LED shorter perhaps.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you solved for Dino's, you can solve for this for sure.

Rapid and 100% kill rates feel like copper to me too. If you can get cuprasorb, I would do that. This would rule out heavy metals.

Are you already running activated carbon?

There are a good number of random ways metals can make there way in to your water and or substrate. Which brings me to my other question: you said you run RO water. Do you run your water through deionization as well to make true RODI water?

People on this forum can bring a lot of diverse experiences so keep trying and bumping till we figure it out.

OP
OP
A

Agentkyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I order from reefcleaners they specify not to open the bag until you release the snails/crabs. The guide they send states that they can handle parameters swings ok, but are absolutely intolerant of ammonia, which activates when you open the bag. They recommend temp acclimation only.

In addition have you tried multiple sources? Maybe it’s not you, but your supplier.

I’ve tried this method as well. Unfortunately reefcleaners done ship here. I live in Sydney Nova Scotia - in Canada. We have one lfs- next one is 4 hour drive and I can get some shipped from there, however I wouldn’t be surprise if their suppliers are the same. I’m going to get a copper test kit just to check cause I am at a loss.

OP
OP
A

Agentkyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you solved for Dino's, you can solve for this for sure.

Rapid and 100% kill rates feel like copper to me too. If you can get cuprasorb, I would do that. This would rule out heavy metals.

Are you already running activated carbon?

There are a good number of random ways metals can make there way in to your water and or substrate. Which brings me to my other question: you said you run RO water. Do you run your water through deionization as well to make true RODI water?

People on this forum can bring a lot of diverse experiences so keep trying and bumping till we figure it out.

I have a 4 stage ro/di system. If I treat for copper without testing will it harm me at all. I’ll see what I can get local but might be ordering.
I typically have carbon running but I just used chemiclean to get rid of cyano (last ditch effort) I don’t like meds. So today is the my day to reintroduce carbon. But have run it all along.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I share your reluctance toward systemic treatments. And personally I would not dose without knowing for sure it (copper removal) was needed.

I should also say I have not used cuprasorb myself but have seen it mentioned many times on this forum. I don't recall reading of any potential side effects.

Perhaps your lfs can do a copper test for you?

OP
OP
A

Agentkyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I share your reluctance toward systemic treatments. And personally I would not dose without knowing for sure it (copper removal) was needed.

I should also say I have not used cuprasorb myself but have seen it mentioned many times on this forum. I don't recall reading of any potential side effects.

Perhaps your lfs can do a copper test for you?

They only do generic strip test to my knowledge. My lfs only has one 55 gallon tank for salt water, no corals, and usually only 2/3 fish on display. Reef aquariums aren’t common here and learning anything has been through reading or trials. This is actually my first post on forums but I’ve had reef tanks for 7 years now.
I’m actually in the process of building a 120 gallon- and I built. A 55 sump- but no one at my lfs has an idea on plumbing or sumps or refuge. For 4 of the 7 years in the hobby they didn’t even seek salt water fish here. And the largest tank you can buy locally is 75!
I’ll get a copper test tonight and see what I find:)

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 43.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back