Invisible Fluorescence

  • Thread starter Thread starter Mitchell
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Mitchell

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 20, 2011
Messages
144
Reaction score
0
Location
Ontario, Canada
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At the middle of the 19th century British Scientist Sir George G. Stokes first discovered that Fluorspar ( a mineral) displays a bright pigment when lit by Ultraviolet light. The word Fluorescence was born.
In short when Atoms take in energy at certain wavelengths it then rapidly releases that energy and when that energy is in a VISIBLE wavelength it is seen as Fluorescence.
In the aquarium hobby we use Actinic Light or Deep Blue LEDs as the energy source or "EXCITER" to enhance the corals fluorescence.
This image is an example of what one can expect with an "EXCITER" filter for photography.

This image is NOT enhanced. It is shot and processed as a normal RAW image with only Black level adjustments.
What you are seeing is the fluorescence of the coral captured with An Exciter filter and a Barrier filter. A system developed by Dr. Charles Mazel

This coral is a dull green and brown with the naked eye under T5 bulbs


flor1 by in his image, on Flickr
 
Very nice shot Mitchell! Keep sharing!
 
Oh I plan on it!! lol. I just started doing this last night at the LFS and I was immediately fascinated with the results.
 
Feel free to write some photography articles as well for us to feature! HA!
 
I'm not a writer at all but I will see what I can come up with. It's one skill that I have been wanting to learn so I CAN write articles with the images.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 7 50.0%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 7.1%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 7.1%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new