Iodine Help!

3ncore8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Randy,
Please help,
Recently I have tested my iodine and found out sky high 0.127 mg/L , I have water change for 2 weeks about 3 times but the iodine still couldn’t lower down, and my SPS was started whitish from the bottom to top (RTN)?? Any way to lower down the iodine ? As currently I have carbon running but seem doesn’t help.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That value is not sky high. It's only 2x the natural level, and I don't think its any issue. :)

Carbon doesn't bind appreciable iodide or iodate from seawater. That's a myth that, IMO, may be based on the fact that a different chemical (I2) does bind to it and is used as a measure of GAC surface area in some industries.

Rick Mathew

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Randy,
Please help,
Recently I have tested my iodine and found out sky high 0.127 mg/L , I have water change for 2 weeks about 3 times but the iodine still couldn’t lower down, and my SPS was started whitish from the bottom to top (RTN)?? Any way to lower down the iodine ? As currently I have carbon running but seem doesn’t help.
May I ask what test kit are you using?

Rick

OP
OP

3ncore8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That value is not sky high. It's only 2x the natural level, and I don't think its any issue. :)

Carbon doesn't bind appreciable iodide or iodate from seawater. That's a myth that, IMO, may be based on the fact that a different chemical (I2) does bind to it and is used as a measure of GAC surface area in some industries.
Hi Randy,
Where can I get the (I2) product ? Like brightwell ? And how should I use on it ? And sorry I’m new and what is GAC ? Please guide me, thanks randy

OP
OP

3ncore8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I found that my SPS was turned to this after the iodine is higher. Any advices ? The SPS turn to this then slowly the SPS whitish from bottom part to upper then finally whole coral gone. Attached photo for your advices .

Attachments

• 61E474BA-1425-45FF-875E-D610C13FD5E7.jpeg
    61E474BA-1425-45FF-875E-D610C13FD5E7.jpeg
    191.8 KB · Views: 53
  • D1A93C76-4AFB-4CAA-A2EF-C2A4A5195D47.jpeg
    D1A93C76-4AFB-4CAA-A2EF-C2A4A5195D47.jpeg
    171.5 KB · Views: 48

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Randy,
Where can I get the (I2) product ? Like brightwell ? And how should I use on it ? And sorry I’m new and what is GAC ? Please guide me, thanks randy
Lugols contains I2 and I-, but I think dosing the natural forms present in seawater are better, especially iodide which is the most bioavailable form. Potassium iodide or sodium iodide, if you can find it, or many hobby brands.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found that my SPS was turned to this after the iodine is higher. Any advices ? The SPS turn to this then slowly the SPS whitish from bottom part to upper then finally whole coral gone. Attached photo for your advices .

I do not think that your iodine level is causing the coral problems by being too high. Is that what you are suggesting?

DrZoidburg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Randy,
I think randy is referring to a myth based on I2. That is iodometry that measures carbon (gac) surface area. Most of the iodine in seawater is iodide, and iodate.

OP
OP

3ncore8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think randy is referring to a myth based on I2. That is iodometry that measures carbon (gac) surface area. Most of the iodine in seawater is iodide, and iodate.
Yes , and I found out that my SSC coral was turning darken

DrZoidburg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@3ncore8 In past I have kept my levels between .08 - .10 no problems. I see two things on that coral though. Picture one looks like bite marks, and othter vermetid snail.

OP
OP

3ncore8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lugols contains I2 and I-, but I think dosing the natural forms present in seawater are better, especially iodide which is the most bioavailable form. Potassium iodide or sodium iodide, if you can find it, or many hobby brands.
Thanks randy, other than this , any others product that after dose can decrease the iodine in my tank level ?

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 43 48.9%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 47 53.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 20 22.7%
  • None.

Votes: 22 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.2%
Back