IOND Costs

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

CEReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@robbyg
As mentioned earlier, the life span depends on the quality of the water. Just because one tests 1x/week doesn't necessarily mean the sensor will last longer if the water quality is not so great. On the other hand, if the quality is good the sensor will see a lengthier life.

Of course there will be a correlation between number of tests too because if one tests 500 times with "dirtier" water compared to 500 tests with "cleaner" water, the life span of the sensor will not be the same.

Regardless, the diagnostic feature will check the sensor performance and tell you when it's time to consider replacing.

If reference fluids are kept stored at room temperature, un-opened, away from sunlight, you'll easily get 1 year out of them. Since these are a special mix of SW fluids, you don't want to leave these with the caps off otherwise they're susceptible to evaporation...and just like SW, when evaporation occurs it changes the ionic concentration which you don't want happening with these fluids.
That all makes sense.. So to minimize the effects of evaporation do you suggest to use smaller containers, with more frequent refills? Like maybe get 2x 250ml container?

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As mentioned earlier, the life span depends on the quality of the water. Just because one tests 1x/week doesn't necessarily mean the sensor will last longer if the water quality is not so great. On the other hand, if the quality is good the sensor will see a lengthier life.
As I said before - I will probably use this device as a testing station for a bunch of aquariums. Will it be better to - after each complete test run (let us says 5 tests i a row in different aquariums) - empty the test chamber an fill up with new saltwater (or RO water) for the storing during a week before next test run?

Sincerely Lasse

chema

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Lasse: did you already get your IOND? I'm on the waiting list since January 2020 and still waiting. The distributor here in Spain is getting really mad on GHL about this issue.

vangvace

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That all makes sense.. So to minimize the effects of evaporation do you suggest to use smaller containers, with more frequent refills? Like maybe get 2x 250ml container?
I could see that as a possibility. The IOND is coming with predrilled caps as an option so evaporation might be minimum there too.

Vinny@GHLUSA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't over think it. :)

You can just use the pre-drilled caps we provide in the box and pull reference fluid out of the original bottles.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 68 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.8%
Back