Is a 6' tank really big enough for a Sailfin tang?

All_talk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm planning an upgrade to a large tank (72L x 30W x 28H) and am concerned its not really big enough for a full grown Sailfin. For me the dream of a big tank has always been so I could have a few specific fish and the Sailfin is one of them. I have seen big fish neurotically pacing in small tanks and I couldn't live with that. Do I give up on the Sailfin dream?

The tank will be a mixed reef, somewhat minimalist in scape and I plan to maintain a good amount of swimming space. I haven't worked out the whole stock list yet but there wont be a lot of other big fish, maybe a Blue Tang and a White Tail Brisletooth?

Gary

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a convict tang in my 120. It got big quick and when I took the tank down ot went into a 500g display at the lfs.
It is so much happier now.
It used do do the same swim from one side to the other.
Lobe and learn as I have a tomini tang that went into my 45 frag system and will go into my 80g once its up amd running.

Get as big of a system as you can for the sailfin. I would do no less than 8' as they can get huge.

Duncan62

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm planning an upgrade to a large tank (72L x 30W x 28H) and am concerned its not really big enough for a full grown Sailfin. For me the dream of a big tank has always been so I could have a few specific fish and the Sailfin is one of them. I have seen big fish neurotically pacing in small tanks and I couldn't live with that. Do I give up on the Sailfin dream?

The tank will be a mixed reef, somewhat minimalist in scape and I plan to maintain a good amount of swimming space. I haven't worked out the whole stock list yet but there wont be a lot of other big fish, maybe a Blue Tang and a White Tail Brisletooth?

Gary
No. Get a small one during your first good algae outbreak. He'll help you out and be fine for a good while. Then find him a new home. I've got one now that already has his new place picked out in the home of my favorite coral dealer. Ive had great luck with smaller sailfins.
20220324_182005.jpg

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not a tang expert, but I think that it really depends on a few things. Flow, aquascaping, filtration the depth of the tank, etc. I would not put a specimen that is over a foot in a 2x2x6 tank. On the other hand, I would put a smaller one in that tank, or a large one in a 6x3x2 tank.

OP
OP
All_talk

All_talk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replays. Doesn't look like there is a real consensus on this one, but its about what I expected.

I suspect I will go ahead with the Sailfin, it will be fairly small to start, and years down the road when it is getting big I will have to make a call based on its behavior.

Side note: With the hobby moving toward more captive bread fish, wouldn't it be cool to see some selective breading for smaller Tangs?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After seeing my 72x36x22 in person, I do not believe a 6ft tank is big enough for most tangs. I know many will disagree but larger tangs really need 10ft or bigger tanks IMO.
+1 to this, 6’ tanks really aren’t big when you think about it. Most of these fish hit 13-14 inches in the end, some getting to 15/16 (Obviously after a long time). I’ve seen a 14’ tank with several common tangs that get large (Sohal, Clown, Desjardini Sailfin) and they behaved much more differently compared to the ones you’ll find in 6’ tanks.

Obviously that’s towards the end (after 2-3 maybe 4 years). A young specimen will do alright but an adult I wouldn’t do, not only do tangs need rockwork and hiding spots but also swimming space to not have them stress out.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replays. Doesn't look like there is a real consensus on this one, but its about what I expected.

I suspect I will go ahead with the Sailfin, it will be fairly small to start, and years down the road when it is getting big I will have to make a call based on its behavior.

Side note: With the hobby moving toward more captive bread fish, wouldn't it be cool to see some selective breading for smaller Tangs?

Here is my attempt to make this sort of determination a bit more objective:

There is still some subjectivity in the process though......

Jay

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on the length but also the flows and channels for movement in the rockscape

it also depends on the individual and the feeding

I took on a vlamingi for a 6 ft 180 as a juvenile at at 14 months had to re-home him, while my LFS has one from the same batch in they display and it is 3 inches long -

Should be fine but if you have a heavy eater and you are a heavy feeder ought to have a 2-3 year plan for it

good luck, great fish

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get a ratio of 7.875 for an adult sailfin tang in my tank, but this assumes 12" (and he's maybe 1/3 of that). I really doubt he'll get that large - but stranger things have happened...

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you watch Parker’s Reef he has an Atlantic Blue and a Blonde Naso both of which are in the 12” range, his tank’s 7ft I think. I’m not sure if I’d be comfortable with any fish getting larger than 8-9”, or even 7-8” if I’m being extra cautious, but they seem to be doing well. Melev’s 400 gallon is also 7’ long and he’s had his Blonde Naso for 17-18 years and judging from size I’d also put it at maybe 10-11” or 12”.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Im going to have to say no.
First they grow pretty fast.
I had a small convict tang in my standard 120. It grew very fast and it was apparent that the 120 was way to small for it. I rehomed it to a 500 and its very happy now.
I would look at the smaller tangs for your system.
Have you ever tried to catch a tang in a tank before? Not very easy.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 34.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.9%
Back