Is a HOMEWRECKER really worth it

tswanso3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started out with a quarter inch nub from a JF live sale. I have found it to be a hardy coral and a fast grower once it is established. That tiny little nub has turned into this in about a year.
JF_HW_TGC_CherryBomb_2.jpg

Salty Lemon

Doing my best to make waves.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a librarian and I own some first edition copies of books that I paid ridiculous amounts for. They are old, yellowed, and smelly, but they make me happy. They are on display on my bookshelves. The same goes for corals. It is a collection. If you have the money and it brings you joy -- why not purchase it? Someday, when I can keep acros alive on a regular basis -- I too will start that collection. ;Joyful

U

User1

View Badges
I'm a librarian and I own some first edition copies of books that I paid ridiculous amounts for. They are old, yellowed, and smelly, but they make me happy. They are on display on my bookshelves. The same goes for corals. It is a collection. If you have the money and it brings you joy -- why not purchase it? Someday, when I can keep acros alive on a regular basis -- I too will start that collection. ;Joyful

My niece will not read anything on a device. Has to be a book, paper, and for the very reason you noted above. The smell.

tswanso3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once or twice a week I put in either reef snow, phyto max, chroma max, or reef roids... Grown under G3 Radion pros that are on my own custom schedule. Only run a skimmer periodically and I hand dose A and B every day with my RO water top off.

zzl630

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once or twice a week I put in either reef snow, phyto max, chroma max, or reef roids... Grown under G3 Radion pros that are on my own custom schedule. Only run a skimmer periodically and I hand dose A and B every day with my RO water top off.

Thanks that’s very good polyps extension. Do you do Refugium or gfo?

MrObscura

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reading is just as much about the experience of having a physical book in your hand, about turning the pages, feeling its weight, the smell of the paper, etc. as anything as far as I'm concerned.

Picking a digital file on a device can never compare to walking through a library surrounded by all those new interesting worlds to explore.

Speaking of which, I really need to get to the library.

tswanso3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks that’s very good polyps extension. Do you do Refugium or gfo?

No refugium or gfo on this 100 gallon frag tank... 3 tangs live in there... a yellow, chevron and sohol... I don't do water changes very often and the only thing I regularly test is Alk using a hanna checker.

Tautog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any coral or fish over $100.00 is just silly. But I spend thousands trying to catch them off-shore critters, Swordfish, Tuna, Marlin, Wahoo, and large Sharks, you know, the ones that can kill you! Those fish !

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any coral or fish over $100.00 is just silly. But I spend thousands trying to catch them off-shore critters, Swordfish, Tuna, Marlin, Wahoo, and large Sharks, you know, the ones that can kill you! Those fish !

Why is it Silly?

It is Supply and Demand just like anything else.

Common Stuff Tends to be Cheap.

Rare Stuff Tends to be Expensive.

Some People Drive Ford and Some People Drive Ferrari.

I know somebody that paid 1,000 for a Homewrecker.

As long as you enjoy it who cares?

It isn't your money.

I could just as easily say spending all that money on fishing equipment is silly.

After all you can catch fish with a $5 Pole at a Garage Sale.

People like different things.

One mans junk is another mans treasure as they say.

No Need to Judge peoples spending habits.

If you don't want to pay over $100 that is your perogative.

Everyone is different after all.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Enjoy it. People kinda laughed at me for getting into 1950-1980s Vinyl Records, but none of them are laughing now when some of my garage sale finds could buy a new car. If you don't kill them, and you get in early enough, you can even sometimes make your money back. ...of course, they die for some people and are going down in value, but they should have a bottom around $50 someday which you can still use to get your money back if you can keep them alive. Having fun is the best thing to do with your money because paying taxes and insurance sure does suck.

I have seen probably two dozen HW in person and none of them look like Jason Fox's photos, even under RBs.

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Enjoy it. People kinda laughed at me for getting into 1950-1980s Vinyl Records, but none of them are laughing now when some of my garage sale finds could buy a new car. If you don't kill them, and you get in early enough, you can even sometimes make your money back. ...of course, they die for some people and are going down in value, but they should have a bottom around $50 someday which you can still use to get your money back if you can keep them alive. Having fun is the best thing to do with your money because paying taxes and insurance sure does suck.

I have seen probably two dozen HW in person and none of them look like Jason Fox's photos, even under RBs.

Excellent Point.

If you turn a profit can people say it is a stupid purchase?

I think not.

Also, Coral Drop in Price as time goes on.

If you don't want to pay the current price or cannot afford it just wait.

Salty Lemon

Doing my best to make waves.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reading is just as much about the experience of having a physical book in your hand, about turning the pages, feeling its weight, the smell of the paper, etc. as anything as far as I'm concerned.

Picking a digital file on a device can never compare to walking through a library surrounded by all those new interesting worlds to explore.

Speaking of which, I really need to get to the library.
Swing by mine...I'll set you up with a library card.
Fish reading bowl.gif

Guttersnipe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s my opinion on the homewrecker.
I recently got myself one and it is the nicest looking frag in my tank. It does not look like any of the over saturated picture some people post but still it is by far the nicest looking acro I have ever seen. I don’t even think it’s that expensive now that I got one.
Here is an honest unaltered picture of my homewrecker frag.
It actually looks a lot better than what my iPhone camera can take.
1dff77e126452a386c323deb9f96cdee.jpg

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yea the saturation and vibrance looks way off, seems normal practice now. I actually had fun trying to make the colonies I posted look more natural because I just don't see any pictures of natural looking coral anymore!

I got a small frag for 80 bucks and only reason I bought it was to hopefully grow it out for people who want it. I don't see anything special yet, nor have I seen anything really special in friends who have colonies tanks. Even with just blue led you have to have a filter or look at it through an iPhone to see these crazy hidden colors. Honestly none of the pictures make me say, wow thats a rare looking coral, and I don't know how the price ever got up that high other than JF has a name and people follow, buying whatever he puts out there at a high price with a saturated photo. It is a nice coral, but there are variants of it out there.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 155 67.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back