Is a HOMEWRECKER really worth it

Geebs19

Give me all the Euphyllia
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its a pretty piece, its all up to you whether you want to spend that kind of money on it or not. Im going to give it some time to see if it will come down. Walt Disney used to be high priced and now you can find it for pretty reasonable. Im assuming the same will happen with the HW.

DarkSky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its a pretty piece, its all up to you whether you want to spend that kind of money on it or not. Im going to give it some time to see if it will come down. Walt Disney used to be high priced and now you can find it for pretty reasonable. Im assuming the same will happen with the HW.

I think HW grows a lot slower than WD, so the price on a homewrecker will probably hold longer. The reason WD dropped so fast is because it grows so quickly and is very hearty.

authentic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Pic ,2 years growth
7a910b85e4aa3e6a280a89234f74c955.jpg

OP
OP
HB AL

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I've compared both and to me the HOMEWRECKER is prettier than the WD in my eyes atleast. I'm patient I'm not looking to have it grow quick to start selling off frags, just thinking the sooner I have it in my tank instead of waiting 2 years or something, if I get it now in two years it will be bigger than a 3/4 inch nub. Oh the WD is on its way.

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you drive a Bugatti, a HW is about the dumbest purchase one could make.
Why is that? Is everybody suppose to spend very little on the hobbies they enjoy?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is just a hobby for me, was really wondering if the HOMEWRECKER is really that nice, atleast for people who are not in it to resale it. Any small or large colony pics would be nice. Thanks AL
It's the prettiest acro I've ever seen. I want one, and I don't by to resell...ever. It's definitely a beautiful piece. Is it worth it? I think that's a question only you can answer. :)

x2uranium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO not worth the price for sure. I like a nicely colored up Walt over hw anyways.

Softhammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To each his own, but until I see a single photo of a real colony (+3” minimum, not much to ask for), not a massacred frag that has been chopped to oblivion to finance its purchase my opinion remains the same. Unless you have the cash to gamble with it remains a financially irresponsible purchase for the majority. Hence the name Homewrecker..

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the home wrecker only took off in the hobby because of who named it and the high price, along with crazy pictures. Jackson’s rainbow tenuis looked like the same piece but better imo, but it wasn’t talked about anywhere near as much as the home wrecker. I wonder if there are still even pieces of it around.
In my eyes the tenuis craze doesn’t intrigue me at all, there are a few really nice color variants but the prices should never have went up as much as they did. It’s not really a hard coral to grow. I like to save my money for the pieces that make me excited by their color and growth form, I stay away from the over fragged popular names stuff. Since indo shut down I have been bored out of my mind looking at corals online and in stores. In my opinion the nice Mari and wild stuff that came from there should be what’s demanding the top dollar.
By the way I got a small frag of hw from a local for 80 bucks, and it still is a coral that grows fairly well from what I see, so the price shouldn’t stay high for much longer.

flyfisherman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
lol " massacred frag chopped to oblivion"

there are alot of sps corals in the homewrecker price range that are nicer. regarding cost of homewrecker vs. a one color generic. yes absolutely, you will be stunned if you have the right lighting.

Fourstars

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To each his own, but until I see a single photo of a real colony (+3” minimum, not much to ask for), not a massacred frag that has been chopped to oblivion to finance its purchase my opinion remains the same. Unless you have the cash to gamble with it remains a financially irresponsible purchase for the majority. Hence the name Homewrecker..

Where I live everyone drives around in a new 5o grand truck. I drive a 92 nissan that cost me a 1 grand. That homewrecker has the potential to make you money. Once my SPS tank has matured a little more that's my first purchase.

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have a big colony of it but I find it still nice. To me it's one of the nicest corals around. I like how bright the pink gets and the blue polyps on the growth tips. This pic is not in all blues or with a filter.
HW Jan 16.jpg

HW Jan 8th (2).jpg

I think the home wrecker only took off in the hobby because of who named it and the high price, along with crazy pictures. Jackson’s rainbow tenuis looked like the same piece but better imo, but it wasn’t talked about anywhere near as much as the home wrecker. I wonder if there are still even pieces of it around.
In my eyes the tenuis craze doesn’t intrigue me at all, there are a few really nice color variants but the prices should never have went up as much as they did. It’s not really a hard coral to grow. I like to save my money for the pieces that make me excited by their color and growth form, I stay away from the over fragged popular names stuff. Since indo shut down I have been bored out of my mind looking at corals online and in stores. In my opinion the nice Mari and wild stuff that came from there should be what’s demanding the top dollar.
By the way I got a small frag of hw from a local for 80 bucks, and it still is a coral that grows fairly well from what I see, so the price shouldn’t stay high for much longer.
The Jacksons rainbow is still around. I have a small colony and my buddy has a nice sized colony of it.

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's only expensive if you can't grow stoney's. I decided I'm only adding high end from now on as space is limited and I want desirable corals for easier resale or trade.

This is what some people never seem to get. If you pay $500 for it, who cares when you can actually grow it and sell frags and pay for it five times over.

OP
OP
HB AL

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you drive a Bugatti, a HW is about the dumbest purchase one could make.
This is one of my hobbies, and the price I’m looking at is much less then people imagine, I love my tank and a homewrecker sure looks nice. I don’t have a Bugatti I have a 2017 Ford F-150 lariat the Bugatti wouldn’t pull my boat, so it wouldn’t work for me. Chill out dude, was looking for opinions from people that enjoy this hobby.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 134 74.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 16 8.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 27 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back