OP
HB AL

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have a big colony of it but I find it still nice. To me it's one of the nicest corals around. I like how bright the pink gets and the blue polyps on the growth tips. This pic is not in all blues or with a filter.
HW Jan 16.jpg

HW Jan 8th (2).jpg

The Jacksons rainbow is still around. I have a small colony and my buddy has a nice sized colony of it.
That’s beautiful

Softhammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is one of my hobbies, and the price I’m looking at is much less then people imagine, I love my tank and a homewrecker sure looks nice. I don’t have a Bugatti I have a 2017 Ford F-150 lariat the Bugatti wouldn’t pull my boat, so it wouldn’t work for me. Chill out dude, was looking for opinions from people that enjoy this hobby.

You asked for opinions. You got one.

Aaron-A2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Worth and value is subjective. I enjoy collecting high end acropora for a few reasons, but primarily what I think looks the best followed by what I view as rare or a collectors item.

Homewreckers aren't necessarily rare, but I think they look absolutely stunning. Is it my favorite acropora? No. Is it worth it compared to some of my favorite acropora which are more expensive than Homewreckers? Yes.

This answer depends completely on what $300 means to you. This applies also to $400-500 master scoly's/meat coral, $100-200pp zoanthids, and the ever elusive purple squamosa clam I want!

Coronus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
75BF3254-4EE9-43A5-B7E0-DD71EA6FE3E5.png
57080DD3-7951-48B8-ADDB-18E1816CAE77.jpeg
To each his own, but until I see a single photo of a real colony (+3” minimum, not much to ask for), not a massacred frag that has been chopped to oblivion to finance its purchase my opinion remains the same. Unless you have the cash to gamble with it remains a financially irresponsible purchase for the majority. Hence the name Homewrecker..

Grew this out myself over the course of around 2 years. Fragged it 2 dozen times. A truly spectacular coral with literally every color in the rainbow. My Favorite even still!
Hard to swallow the purchase at first. But I have confidence in my skill set and knew I could grow it.
Looking back, I am so glad I made the choice to make myself happy and get a coral I wanted.
Its a hobby. Something I enjoy so I do what makes me happy.

reacclimating 2 the hobby

patience is... oh look an acro pack fs!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are much higher priced acros. Worth it, is nearly an opinion. Someone with extra to spend may say yes, someone who doesn't have the extra would say no. Some people buy them and stick them in a frag tank to grow and sell off. They barely grow a branch and are getting fragged.

I just recently splurged $100 on a WD and i'm excited for it to arrive on Saturday. But it will be in my tank to enjoy, not to cut up and profit from until it and many other frags out grow the space allotted for them. At that time if it needs to be trimmed, it will be, and it will be sold to another hobbyist(on this forum) at a reasonable price like I paid.

If you look up Matt V Fruity Pebbles or something like that people want 500-600 a frag. It's gotten out of hand IMO, but pieces are worth what others will pay. Can still have a gorgeous tank and not spend a fortune.

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have a big colony of it but I find it still nice. To me it's one of the nicest corals around. I like how bright the pink gets and the blue polyps on the growth tips. This pic is not in all blues or with a filter.
HW Jan 16.jpg

HW Jan 8th (2).jpg

The Jacksons rainbow is still around. I have a small colony and my buddy has a nice sized colony of it.

Oh that’s good to know! Got a pic? Did you get it to color up like his did?

acro-ed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Worth it is way too subjective. I don't have one because "I" don't think it's worth it (yet). I've been playing this game for years and when I do spring for the named stuff I usually wait until the price has leveled off. It seems to me that we're still seeing the price on HW fall so I'll probably wait until later this year or next year. The name game is like a coral stock market for people with more money than sense, but I'm guilty of the same.

There's plenty of ways to play these corals, but I would rather do $200-300 buy in, don't frag it at all for 2 years, and then have plenty of frags to sell once the price has leveled off around $150. They guy who bought in at $1500 and hacked it quickly to recover his obnoxiously high buy in price and then let it start growing will have a larger colony sooner because he didn't wait, but long term profitability isn't much higher and I don't have to "risk" the super inflated buy in.

The subjective part of this being "worth it" or not is me saying "I" am not willing to risk a $1500 buy in price on a frag, but "I" am willing to risk a $200ish price. The risk is complex because it is in your skill level, chance of misfortune despite your skill level, and finally, what the market has done once your coral has grown. The best bet is to be in a position where you don't have to think about it at all and are willing to simply lose the money if it doesn't pan out (unfortunately that is not the case for many of us).

Pola0502ds

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The price reflected on all these “high end” corals are only priced so high because of who named it and that is the bottom line period. There are so many other sticks out there that are soooo much nicer than the WD and HW that are a fraction of the price. If “joes coral shack” came out with the HW then he would have no choice to release it for a practical price. Just like how women are into spending tons of money on coach purses or high end shoes, tons of people are obsessed with brand named corals. Don’t call them “high end corals” because their not. A coral, is a coral, is a coral. It has a shape, colors, polyps, and a mouth. Call it what it really is and call them “brand named corals”. Not many vendors can get away with selling 1/2” nubs for $1200 or a single zoa polyp for $1300 on the first day of its release and SELL OUT in hours. Its because people are obcessed with brand name items like my wife is with her purse.

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know... I got an inch frag for $200 out of my pocket... so I guess I’ll see how I feel once this grows and colors. I told myself I’d never get one cuz I thought it was an overhyped green tenuis (or whatever it may be) but for $200, it was worth the gamble. Here’s my frag from this MC.
c2ea832431005e2b7765370669e60992.jpg
c116f64faba7b42dadb1907da3785a54.jpg
6495bd6217494cbb57dce52d997105bf.jpg

x2uranium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do the pinks only come up in the blue light on that pic ???

OP
OP
HB AL

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I bought it 300$, figured buy it now and watch it grow or wait a couple years and maybe get it for half that. No BRAINER so it will be here Friday. I just sold a bunch of colonies of various corals, since I needed the prime real estate they took up and used the $ for 20 acro battle box's, figured what the heck might as well get the HOMEWRECKER now and the price was right. Tank is pretty packed with all kinds of corals including some acro colonies and probably 50 acro frags so what's 1 more, as they grow up will thin the heard to let the ones I like grow more or get another tank and move the TV up on the wall. Oh I also love my fish more than the corals.

20190306_133240.jpg
20190306_133253.jpg
20190302_145523.jpg

vio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depend of your budget.
Yes, Tenius......Rainbow,W.D.H.W. they look great .
Is true still expensive , but is great H.E. SPS.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A. Tenuis are hardy coral that grow fast and are are easy to keep under a wide range of conditions. This is good because your $300 frag is likely to do very well. This is also good for the people who want it, and cannot afford it now, because it will soon be under $100 and then under $50 really soon after that.

I don't see it as a coral that will go up in value like some. That is not a bad thing, though. It is a really good thing.

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a frag from JF, yes high price but I downsized my tank and I’m being very picky on what goes in it. It’s a hobby, up to you on what goes in your tank. It is a very nice piece. It has been bumped into a couple times when rescaping. I now have three and it doesn’t seem to be a picky piece. A tiny nub of a tip broke off , still surviving. I had a couple WD, in my opinion this one has it beat.

1stNoel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I bought it 300$, figured buy it now and watch it grow or wait a couple years and maybe get it for half that. No BRAINER so it will be here Friday. I just sold a bunch of colonies of various corals, since I needed the prime real estate they took up and used the $ for 20 acro battle box's, figured what the heck might as well get the HOMEWRECKER now and the price was right. Tank is pretty packed with all kinds of corals including some acro colonies and probably 50 acro frags so what's 1 more, as they grow up will thin the heard to let the ones I like grow more or get another tank and move the TV up on the wall. Oh I also love my fish more than the corals.

20190306_133240.jpg
20190306_133253.jpg
20190302_145523.jpg
Looks like the weather guy is checking out your tank...

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 57 74.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 9 11.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 9 11.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back