Is a HOMEWRECKER really worth it

JonJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
294920EE-61AC-411D-B701-F4A128079A99.jpeg
I traded a friend for a small piece that is finally starting to take off. I have some expensive pieces and the HW is one of the nicest out of all of them-even in white light. Most of the “exotic” tenuis pieces have to be viewed under extreme blues for their color to stand out. I can’t wait for this one to grow out. This pic (iPhone x) is under all channels at 100% on an orphek v4 (very white). I’ll break out the real camera this weekend to get a sharper image. So is it worth it? I think so.

vanpire

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me, $750/small piece wasn't worth it, but now I see some frags for sale for about $200-$300. Might be worth it. But I sincerely think it will be even less in the next 6 months or so...

I had an opportunity to buy a mini colony for about $700 but I turned it down because the coral looked just like a green tenuis in the seller's tank. It might have been him though, and the coral could look better.

Scooter90254

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me it seems collecting very high end piece's is almost a hobby within the hobby.

I'm friends with a guy who has 120 gallon tank stuffed full of coral. If there's a single coral bigger then 2x2" in that tank I would be surprised. The HOBBY that him and I are participating in barely even resemble one another.

As for the HW. I've seen a couple in person they look great. I would say its way better priced then some of the older high price corals. Anything Bowser or Rainbow chalice back in the day were really outrageous. I remember when I couldn't wait for Red Planet to come down in price. Can't even give it away anymore....

Guttersnipe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me, $750/small piece wasn't worth it, but now I see some frags for sale for about $200-$300. Might be worth it. But I sincerely think it will be even less in the next 6 months or so...

I had an opportunity to buy a mini colony for about $700 but I turned it down because the coral looked just like a green tenuis in the seller's tank. It might have been him though, and the coral could look better.

Maybe it wasn’t a homewrecker he was trying to sell you.
If what you saw in his tank was a green tenuis then it’s not a homewrecker.

x2uranium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remeber when the strawberry shortcake was on of the hottest corals on the planet lol. Funny how the hobby changes.. I’m sure I will get a home wrecker... anyone want to trade lol. I got lots of sps.

Greg’s_525xl-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a small frag for a good price. It is growing out nicely now. I personally may take a few frags off it as it gets bigger to make a few minicolonies, but after that I plan not to touch it. When I first got it it looked nice then lost some color. I was thinking well....it’s nice but I am not sure it’s worth the hype, but maybe it’s my params or light or my taste. I must say though over the last month it has taken off and has colored up an insane amount. Definitely one of my favorite corals now!

Photos attached are under normal white light taken with an iPhone 8 with a gel filter app. No photo tricks or increased blues or UV. Every day lighting. You can see it next to other corals and seems to kind of glow. You can see the same effect in the wide shot as well.

5E238BD4-834D-4009-B975-F3DE2D8DB528.jpeg

EA4D87D3-EB08-4473-948D-C57657508486.jpeg

F1264C94-0E2B-4ED8-8A00-E2C89BC0EFC4.jpeg

therman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I am looking to pick one up, dont need much, a 3/4" frag would do it. I am going to find someone to trade a TGC Cherry Bomb frag, so no money out of my pocket and we both end up with a great new coral. @RussiReef maybe ill look you up when the Cherrybomb frags are ready if you are interested!

I like trading because it doesnt hurt the wallet as much and feels responsible.

I'll trade you a HW for a chunk of that coral in your profile photo :)

Lousybreed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought a frag from @MadCityReefer amd I will say it’s mesmerizing. Also he has had it for less than 2 years and it has great growth form and it at least 6” tall and has some nice branches. WD is nice. I have it. This is incredible!

MrObscura

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's subjective.

To me? No. I've seen it in person and it's bright but overall it's not as nice as the Walt Disney imo, which can be had for a fraction of the cost. It's a nice coral and I'd buy one at at lower cost though.

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you guys pulling the pinks out of this one? I got a frag from a buddy who’s colony at one point looked awesome, and now it looks like a green tenuis. How do I get the pinks back?

therman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
How are you guys pulling the pinks out of this one? I got a frag from a buddy who’s colony at one point looked awesome, and now it looks like a green tenuis. How do I get the pinks back?

Mine have plenty of pink at 350-500 PAR.

hyprc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha, It’s one of my favorite subjects. It’s constantly changing. I’m starting to squeeze some more color out of it now. :)
Well hopefully you'll share your sauce ;). There's always so much PE, it's hard to see the color of the actual flesh lol (I can tell they're all there though)

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well hopefully you'll share your sauce ;). There's always so much PE, it's hard to see the color of the actual flesh lol (I can tell they're all there though)

There’s honestly never a time that it isn’t completely covered in polyps. Mine is sitting in 600+ PAR and currently 15 ppm NO3 and 0.24 ppm PO4. I’ve recently started to add Red Sea Reef Energy, suspecting that some corals may be suffering nutritionally. (I feed heavy but suspect some vitamin/amino acids are lacking). Only time will tell, but I have noticed some subtle yet significant changes in multiple of the corals, both in color and physiologically. Time will tell! Don’t worry I keep no secrets! :)

Drew in Texas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We all have expensive hobbies; kids, cars, boats, I shoot mile+. I have a reef tank everyone that's a reefer is amazed at. Not what I spend the bulk of my hobby money on, but still fabulous.

Is there anyone in the north Texas area that has frags of a Disney, Jackson'd Rainbow or HW that they're interested in selling?

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 169 67.3%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back