Is a leveling mat needed with a bottom trim tank?

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be receiving my planet aquarium 180 gallon mega matrix very soon. My stand has a solid top and the tank will have trim on the bottom. Is a leveling mat still recommended? My waterbox 65.4 has one but it is rimless.
The new tank will look like this but have a black background

DFD47C2B-C909-44DA-9238-B5B426F7CA05.png

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be receiving my planet aquarium 180 gallon mega matrix very soon. My stand has a solid top and the tank will have trim on the bottom. Is a leveling mat still recommended? My waterbox 65.4 has one but it is rimless.
The new tank will look like this but have a black background

DFD47C2B-C909-44DA-9238-B5B426F7CA05.png
No. A leveling mat should not be used for a tank with bottom trim.

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check with the mfgr. On standard Aqueon tanks it’s not needed but that depends on your stand being flat.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check with the mfgr. On standard Aqueon tanks it’s not needed but that depends on your stand being flat.
A leveling mat won't help if the stand is not level/flat. It is used for larger trimless tanks so that slight, unseen imperfections in the stand top don't stress the bottom pane of glass/seams over time.

Using a soft "mat" on a trimmed tank can actually put pressure on the bottom glass that could cause problems down the road.

OP
OP
mrpontiac80

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A leveling mat won't help if the stand is not level/flat. It is used for larger trimless tanks so that slight, unseen imperfections in the stand top don't stress the bottom pane of glass/seams over time.

Using a soft "mat" on a trimmed tank can actually put pressure on the bottom glass that could cause problems down the road.
That’s what I thought. And Planet makes no mention that I have seen but glass cages does…. But theirs is a 3/4” thick pad I think

jasonvan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
someone told me once that having a leveling mat increases the chance of a leak because of uneven pressure. only the edges are touching the cabinet. i just use plywood for my rimmed tank

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s what I thought. And Planet makes no mention that I have seen but glass cages does…. But theirs is a 3/4” thick pad I think
I talked to Joe @ GC quite a bit when deciding on my new build and specifically asked him about this. His answer was the same as my understanding (above). It's different for tanks with no bottom trim.

Incidentally, my new tank - still in the process of getting set up, no water yet - is a custom Planet, basically a mega matrix with different dimensions. 60"x30" and 18" tall, with the overflow on the left side of the back panel instead of the center.

OP
OP
mrpontiac80

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I talked to Joe @ GC quite a bit when deciding on my new build and specifically asked him about this. His answer was the same as my understanding (above). It's different for tanks with no bottom trim.

Incidentally, my new tank - still in the process of getting set up, no water yet - is a custom Planet, basically a mega matrix with different dimensions. 60"x30" and 18" tall, with the overflow on the left side of the back panel instead of the center.
Very cool. Can’t wait to see both yours and mine :)

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this a plastic rimmed or trimmed tank? Two completely different things. Plastic rimmed tanks (like standard Aqueons and Marineland tanks) should not have anything under them as the plastic is used as structural support. If it is just plastic trim and it's on the bottom of the tank it may need support.

My Miracles tank has plastic trim on the bottom and if I didn't put white styrofoam underneath it would have voided the warranty immidately upon filling it. I would highly reccomend you contact Planet and confirm with them specifically what they suggest.

BTW, congrats on the new tank! Great way to bring in the new year!

OP
OP
mrpontiac80

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will send them a message because I have no idea. Ive seen a video from Melevsreef doing a tour of the planet aquarium facility showing the building of the tanks.. and it looks like a plastic trim. The video is pretty cool btw if you enjoy that sort of stuff. I feel like he or someone else did one with Joe at glass cages also and it was pretty awesome too.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will send them a message because I have no idea. Ive seen a video from Melevsreef doing a tour of the planet aquarium facility showing the building of the tanks.. and it looks like a plastic trim. The video is pretty cool btw if you enjoy that sort of stuff. I feel like he or someone else did one with Joe at glass cages also and it was pretty awesome too.
I promise you that your tank should not have a foam leveling mat.

OP
OP
mrpontiac80

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I promise you that your tank should not have a foam leveling mat.
I don’t think so either, but a quick email doesn’t hurt. I do just realize that you also are dealing with planet and have researched it. Either way, I’ve still got a couple weeks before I get receive it.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think so either, but a quick email doesn’t hurt. I do just realize that you also are dealing with planet and have researched it. Either way, I’ve still got a couple weeks before I get receive it.
You're going through your LFS?
You can also reach them via PM on Facebook.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a comment that may explain what I said more clearly... Highlights added by me.

Post in thread 'Leveling Mat?' https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/leveling-mat.320733/post-4686910

"Leveling" mats (don't level anything) or foam are for trimless glass aquariums or acrylic aquariums. They are to reduce pressure points on the bottom caused by imperfections in the surface material (plywood etc). Trimmed glass aquariums do not rest on the bottom, they have trim around the exterior that takes all the load, and trim cannot shatter from minor imperfections on the surface.

If you have a standard trimmed aquarium, just make sure your stand is level and that all 4 corners of the aquarium sit flat on the stand. That's it. Adding a yoga mat would actually reduce the stability of the aquarium and could end up putting pressure on the bottom glass (which never gets touched by the stand normally).

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 67 85.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.8%
Back