Is Acan feeding or something wrong

Charlie G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

Just noticed something I have never noticed before with my Acan. This may be a silly question but looks as if there is an opening in the center of my Acan. Is this its mouth? Is this a feeding response? I have had this Acan for almost a year and have never seen this. I will post 2 pics of the ‘opening’ and one which is what it normally looks like.

Any information is greatly appreciated. Like I mentioned I have never seen this before with my Acan.

Thanks.

362EF918-EEDD-4443-BB98-D6F2F47248C3.jpeg 7CC92A1C-4FD3-416C-BE48-4AAE605A5E18.jpeg 5BCD3A12-CAC9-4960-8902-F316D341850C.jpeg

Steven Garland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its hungry,looks healthy. Spot feed the heads 2-3 a week. For having almost a year you should have WAY MORE polyps than that.

When I was spot feeding my old acan's 2-3x a week (a mixture of LPS Max,freeze dried rotifers,brine sprimp,RN ROE,RN Roti-Feast,Oyster Feast and an Amino Acid and SPS Max all mixed together is a cup. I was getting close to on some color morphs up to 2-5 new baby heads a month if not more.

OP
OP
C

Charlie G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its hungry,looks healthy. Spot feed the heads 2-3 a week. For having almost a year you should have WAY MORE polyps than that.

When I was spot feeding my old acan's 2-3x a week (a mixture of LPS Max,freeze dried rotifers,brine sprimp,RN ROE,RN Roti-Feast,Oyster Feast and an Amino Acid and SPS Max all mixed together is a cup. I was getting close to on some color morphs up to 2-5 new baby heads a month if not more.
Wow. Really.

Thanks for responding. Not I’m not spot feeding my corals. It does have 5 polyps but definitely not growing fast. I may start feeding. Was worried about nutrients as they are alittle high. Phos 0.22 nitrate about 9 but has been stable at this level like for a long time.

Steven Garland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you turn any flow off,and use an eye dropped or something to feed each head you lower your chances of adding unwanted excess nutrients that way,versus broadcast feeding the whole tank.

Broadcast feeding,thing get blown under rocks,into rocks where cuc can't get it and it rots and breaks down yada yada.

OP
OP
C

Charlie G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you turn any flow off,and use an eye dropped or something to feed each head you lower your chances of adding unwanted excess nutrients that way,versus broadcast feeding the whole tank.

Broadcast feeding,thing get blown under rocks,into rocks where cuc can't get it and it rots and breaks down yada yada.
Agreed. Thanks.

What do you feed your coral?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 62 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.2%
Back