Is DIY tap water filter sufficient because i dont have R/O

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was hoping not to post here anymore although just thought of posting one more about all talking of algae.

Get a diy Algae Scrubber like me. I'm 4 months in full on tap water and only had small diatom stage only. No other algae except starting stage Coraline algae now.
I also have a thriving Goniopora colony which people here said only possible due to great water quality.(I'm on complete opposite end on this though)

So are you admitting you don’t have great water quality? The “opposite end” of great is terrible. Your words. You almost sound proud of it. What’s that like? Those individuals considering taking any rational advice from this individual consider these bits of admission on his/her part

Reesj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So are you admitting you don’t have great water quality? You almost sound proud of it. What’s that like?
Lol you misunderstood and think quoted me in 1 min I was editing post. I think I have great water quality and no algae in display.

Awesome Dennis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@
Keep on posting - all voices are needed - especially the ones from the back streets - the main street has dominate too long :)

I have the same opinion as the OP - is this valid for me too? The ones that doom his solution have no facts on his water either.

And I do not think he is dragging anyone into this discussion - for me it looks like pro always RO/DI folks drive into this thread in Indianpolis 500 speed - and the crashes follow the same path :)

Your welcome - you maybe need it in a month or two when you see the disaster you have created because you was not follow the main street. :D ;);)

Sincerely Lasse
@Lasse you always post useful/ helpful info backed by FACTs. You posted ICP test result along your journey of experimenting, the OP has done none of that. I didn’t doom the OP or put him down he asked for opinions without giving any real info on his water then turns around and dismissed everyone that went against his method. You and the OP are at 2 different levels of reefing.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's please get this thread back on track. The back and fourth has to stop. Any more will result in thread bans.

Thank you,

Crabs
Backontrack.gif

Reesj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's please get this thread back on track. The back and fourth has to stop. Any more will result in thread bans.

Thank you,

Crabs
Backontrack.gif
Thanks. Most people want to derail and lock this thread as it does not fit their agenda.
All I'm saying is you don't always need a RODI unit to do a saltwater tank. If you have an understanding of you tap water and ready to do some other filteration methode like OP or what I'm doing you will be ok.
Don't make posts saying if you can't get RODI unit qutie this hobby .. That is not what this hobby or forum need.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Lasse, the fact remains, in your current tank, when asked if you’d go back to using tap, you say no. So you still clearly must see the use of an RODI unit as an effective hedge against unknown variables that you do not want introduced to your tank, since you’re currently using one. Whether it’s pipe work construction (in your case) or other changing environmental factors that lead to variability in one’s water supply, you cannot deny that use of an RODI unit is a good practice for minimizing risk of source water contaminants, especially for hobbyists who may not know enough to familiarize themselves with the content and characteristics of their own source water.

OP
OP
Key-tie

Key-tie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Furthermore. I’ve never made any claims to my way being the law or even the right way. My way is to not have a way. I have experimented over the years and found some things to work well for me and some not to.

My present personal reef infrastructure is different from @Lasse , but I never accused him of being wrong. I’ve asked questions, and engaged in conversation. But if you look back I have never accused his way (or yours) from being wrong. His tank looks fine. Everyone settles with what works for them, and if something isn’t working, it is up to them to change it if they feel so inclined.

My argument with you was on the principle of RODI filtration. I disagree with your interpretation on what the heart of it is, based on what you have shared. Period.

If you succeed, fantastic. I’ll be glad you didn’t kill livestock needlessly. But it will not be because RODI is fundamentally bad. It will be because you happen to be lucky enough to live in an area where your municipal water is favorable for what you happen to keep.

Rodi is necessary for me. It’s not throwing technology at the problem as I believe you so eloquently put it. It is fixing what the city provided, which is an inadequate mineral profile for keeping stony corals.
And that...i understand.
I never put down tech, or RO, i was just raising the queation if we need to go that far in controlling things.
It was a discussion...
I never claimed my way was correct either, it is only another way.
Discussion of different ideas and theories, trying things that havent been tried... is what made this hobby what it is now.
Its a discussion of ideas, not a battle.
It can never be....well he said it and 1000 people agreee, so ill give up and do it their way.
Once it becomes that...it grows no more.
Free discussion of ideas without judgement is what it should be to move things forward.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And that...i understand.
I never put down tech, or RO, i was just raising the queation if we need to go that far in controlling things.
It was a discussion...
I never claimed my way was correct either, it is only another way.
Discussion of different ideas and theories, trying things that havent been tried... is what made this hobby what it is now.
Its a discussion of ideas, not a battle.
It can never be....well he said it and 1000 people agreee, so ill give up and do it their way.
Once it becomes that...it grows no more.
Free discussion of ideas without judgement is what it should be to move things forward.
That’s fine. I disagreed with a fundamental theory on RODI. The tone of your subsequent responses feels like you’re mistaking me for one of the “get an rodi or get out” people. If you will kindly read back I never said such things. It isn’t my fundamental opinion that there is a minimum cost of entry. Only correctly managed expectations.

OP
OP
Key-tie

Key-tie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s fine. I disagreed with a fundamental theory on RODI. The tone of your subsequent responses feels like you’re mistaking me for one of the “get an rodi or get out” people. If you will kindly read back I never said such things. It isn’t my fundamental opinion that there is a minimum cost of entry. Only correctly managed expectations.
Fair enough...
And i care enough about the hobby, and life itself, that i would never knowingly keep a bad environment for any living thing.

OP
OP
Key-tie

Key-tie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I'm quite sure if you can store this water in a tank for a month or 2 and use it, the small levels presnt can also be reduced a lot.
And have constant filtration and uv sterilization the entire time it circulates.
With 2 completely different carbon types at the same time in 2 seperate HOB filters.

SDK

Reef Diver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I'm quite sure if you can store this water in a tank for a month or 2 and use it, the small levels presnt can also be reduced a lot.

Copper is already 10% of theraputic levels. Better have a plan in place to get that out of your topoff water. Your current plan is not sufficient to deal with several of the impurities in your water, and they are going to build up in your system

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copper is already 10% of theraputic levels. Better have a plan in place to get that out of your topoff water. Your current plan is not sufficient to deal with several of the impurities in your water, and they are going to build up in your system
i was going to mention but you did first. Isn’t copper in solution form, not as a suspension? So letting the water sit will not result in it settling out. Nor is it altered by active carbon. Which will result in a net increase of Cu over time. How long? Who knows. Again. Managed expectations. Don’t EXPECT to keep copper sensitive critters in copper rich water and you’ll be happy and successful.

OP
OP
Key-tie

Key-tie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as i keep copper to the levels in the ocean, i should be fine...correct ??
Thats why there are heavy netal absorbing resins for most filter types.
If it builds up above what i need, i add a resin.
Should work in theory.

Capture+_2019-11-10-12-04-45.png

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as i keep copper to the levels in the ocean, i should be fine...correct ??
Thats why there are heavy netal absorbing resins for most filter types.
If it builds up above what i need, i add a resin.
Should work in theory.

Capture+_2019-11-10-12-04-45.png

basically yes. If you maintain use of poly filter or something similar I suppose in theory you could keep them depressed. it would also depend on the level of accumulation. I happen to know the water in YOUR area is pretty favorable for such an experiment. It wouldn’t be worth it in my area. Considering the cost of such products would quickly outpace startup and maintenance cost of an rodi filter

Reesj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me personally I require very little to almsot no no top off water due to my tak setup. I have prebuild tank setup with hood 3 inches off water lelvel with small side hole for air. So the air that evaporates gets condensed on top and falls back in to the tank.
I also perosnally have no idea of water quality from Sri Lankan tap water. All I know is everyone in country and every LFS use the tap water after treating it for clorine. I perosnally never treated it and let water settle for months and use them.

That and always have a bag of carbon geting swaped every month or 2. (cleaning and mainly for smell of sea water)

OP
OP
Key-tie

Key-tie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
basically yes. If you maintain use of poly filter or something similar I suppose in theory you could keep them depressed. it would also depend on the level of accumulation. I happen to know the water in YOUR area is pretty favorable for such an experiment. It wouldn’t be worth it in my area. Considering the cost of such products would quickly outpace startup and maintenance cost of an rodi filter
Makes sense then to use one in your area...for sure.

OP
OP
Key-tie

Key-tie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me personally I require very little to almsot no no top off water due to my tak setup. I have prebuild tank setup with hood 3 inches off water lelvel with small side hole for air. So the air that evaporates gets condensed on top and falls back in to the tank.
I also perosnally have no idea of water quality from Sri Lankan tap water. All I know is everyone in country and every LFS use the tap water after treating it for clorine. I perosnally never treated it and let water settle for months and use them.

That and always have a bag of carbon geting swaped every month or 2. (cleaning and mainly for smell of sea water)
Very smart idea using the hood to help recycle your evaporation.
I like it.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m a big supporter of poly filter. I use it prophylactically in my own tank about twice a year just to catch anything that may be accumulating. It’s non scientific but I have had positive results from doing so.
Believe it or not my tank is very tech limited. It is similar to the type tank you’d see in the year 2000. I don’t dose anything, I don’t run ICP tests, I don’t use controllable leds, I don’t have any type of automated testing devices.

rodi water for water changes and top offs
Weekly water changes
Old school Venturi skimmer straight out of the 90’s
Calcium reactor
Fish food.
nothing else.
like I said I test alkalinity and phosphate weekly to ensure they are balanced and will make adjustments as needed to avoid encountering tip burn or zoox influenced dormancy.

Makes sense then to use one in your area...for sure.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 72 35.5%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 52 25.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 64 31.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.9%
Back