Is Gen X the last great reefing generation

randomfishdude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't be, it's tainted by the rose tinted glasses of senility :)

I'd much rather be young now than back in the 60's
The world's a much safer place despite all the alarmist hype on TV and Socials
Maybe not 60s. More like late 70s and the 80s.
I love technology but 70% of the time I'm tired of it and alot of other things.

IntrinsicReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The generational titles hold little merit to me. My wife and I are less than a year apart in age, yet we are different "generations". We graduated the same year. There are good and bad in any age group. History repeats itself. Style repeats itself. We are far less different than others ( past or present) than many people like to think. I just haven't seen these arbitrary designations to be useful.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GenX is the last analog generation and the first digital one. A bridge generation as it were.

I too wonder what will happen when we are gone. Will reefing go away too? Time will tell. One thing is for sure, many things will disappear.
Actually, I believe that was the late boomers like me :)

First computer (Apple 2 of course) in 1979 and I was well into internet newsgroups by 1985 using UUCP, and WWW when the Mosaic web browser was released in 93. I think I got my first web page up then too :cool:

AquaLogic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every generation has idiots and geniuses. I think as we age we just tend to notice the idiots more, because they are louder and in greater number. If I look up, to the side, or down in years, I see a lot of morons. That said, as a Gen X'er myself, I don't want a culture war with other generations. I want what I've always wanted, which is to be left alone to do my stuff and in general ignore the other generations all together. I think that's why we're often called the forgotten generation. We're not all that engaged with the other generations and that's how we like it. What do they have to offer us other than preaching or whining:face-with-tears-of-joy:

Seriously though, think back to when you were in high school. There were some real morons and you know it. I don't think we're special in that way. I think that maybe because we are such a strongly independent and individualistic generation we tend to be over represented in hobbies, especially technical hobbies, and it can annoy us that other generations don't take our stuff as seriously as we do! I feel you though. I struggle against becoming a grumpy old man too.... but I'm losing. I think I've been a grumpy old man from the day of my birth.

Also, an influx of basic questions and problems means an influx of new people.That's a great thing. There's no saying these goofy gen z reefers won't be great reefers in ten years. We were all dumb once. That's a funny thin to me. We were all stupid teenagers once, but somehow starting near 50 we start believing teenagers just got dumb this year and conveniently forget our pasts.

Last edited:

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m a millennial. Towards the older side of the millennial range. And I am a great reefer :)

75g
3E308AFF-BA9D-4E4B-A0C9-FCC05FCB3447.jpeg

1.1g
0F5AEC67-95AF-40D4-A877-E5BAD38782D9.jpeg

A909CA20-3307-4908-B7C6-29639512F84B.jpeg

Both as close to self sustaining and maintenance free as possible. Just add top off and clean glass.

Actually, the pico doesn’t need glass cleaning. Only refill the ato every 10-12 days

AquaLogic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We Gen X are not the last, but we are the last generation to do a lot of things, things which make the world a much worse place to live in. Like not being able to laugh at yourselves, or being tough enough to scab your knee without needing medical attention. The Last Generation that can and will tell you to go **** yourself and not lose any sleep over it. The FERAL generation that was ran out of the house at sun up and wasn't allowed back inside till supper time. The Generation with THICK SKIN!! The Garden Hose and pick up bed generation. The Generation that laughs at Both the boomers and millenials. And just shakes our heads at the stupidity of gen Z. The Generation that does not get offended if you fart on the public bus and is not outraged with blue hair over some imagined insult to a gender that does not exist!!

When we are gone, the world will be greatly diminished.
my 2 cents, pretty sure over half of you young' uns hate me right now. It's all good!

As a father of kids that span millennial, gen z and gen alpha, I have to say I agree with you. Although I will say I feel gen alpha has the potential to be the next decent generation after us. My gen z kids.... seeing them and their friends, that generation is hot mess. They don't know how to do anything. The little kids my son is friends with actually seem more put together than their older siblings so I have some hope. Each generation has their own culture good and bad. The Millennials and Gen Z helped us usher in a new era of tolerance and kindness. That's meaningful. I'm thankful they have pushed back on outdated and hateful cultural mores. The pendulum swings and we tend to over correct generation to generation. Maybe alpha will be the next X. Maybe I just think that because my youngest is the most like me! ;)

Dorsetsteve

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All this Gen blah blah stuff has never rung true with me. I straddle Gen X and Millennial, although technically most would class me as the later. Just seems like a load of moan to me. Regionality and Socioeconomic factors are far bigger drivers of behaviour than when you were born. Generally hobbies like these are dominated by those with better financial prospects and more settled life, which happens as you age, hopefully… There’s so really impressive and intelligent younger reefers coming through and if they stick at it they will be very successful.

Reef_Freak720

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yall should see reefing tiktok......
It's kinda scary to see what some people are doing with their tanks..

Shoving 6 or 7 fish in a nano and telling me it's fine cause they can trade them in.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I was starting my reef, I had to walk to get my sw, and it was uphill and 5 miles away. Then I had to carry those buckets of sw 5 miles to get back home. And that was uphill also

I didn’t have a car because struggling builds character and makes you appreciate things more

CoastalTownLayabout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I was starting my reef, I had to walk to get my sw, and it was uphill and 5 miles away. Then I had to carry those buckets of sw 5 miles to get back home. And that was uphill also

Luxury. We couldn’t afford legs when I was growing up. We had to crawl over barnacles with a paper shopping bag to collect water.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Luxury. We couldn’t afford legs when I was growing up. We had to crawl over barnacles with a paper shopping bag to collect water.
My buckets were rusty with holes in them and had sharp rusty handles and I didn’t have shoes. By the time I got home. I’d only have a few ounces of sw left in each one. I still have the scars on my palms and feet.

Alexraptor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yall should see reefing tiktok......
It's kinda scary to see what some people are doing with their tanks..

Shoving 6 or 7 fish in a nano and telling me it's fine cause they can trade them in.
TikTok is pure brain rot.

I have never seen a platform more efficient at disseminating misinformation, propaganda and all around twaddle and poppycock!

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TikTok is pure brain rot.

I have never seen a platform more efficient at disseminating misinformation, propaganda and all around twaddle and poppycock!

Let’s try and communicate / teach things in 15 seconds or less and then wonder why people are getting dumber

Bruttall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I didn’t have a car because struggling builds character and makes you appreciate things more
Bet you live where it snows year round too?

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't be, it's tainted by the rose tinted glasses of senility :)

I'd much rather be young now than back in the 60's
The world's a much safer place despite all the alarmist hype on TV and Socials
I'm the opposite. I'm glad I'm older and won't have to deal with the insanity of this world for another 64 years. I can't explain my oppinion of insanity because it would be against the TOS and too many people would be offended.

Bruttall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm the opposite. I'm glad I'm older and won't have to deal with the insanity of this world for another 64 years. I can't explain my oppinion of insanity because it would be against the TOS and too many people would be offended.
Just figured out why I agree with you so much! We are only 8 yrs apart, and being born in 1968, I am about half boomer myself!
I thank the Powers that Be regularly that I am not so easily offended, to me it is a sign of a weak mind.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bet you live where it snows year round too?

You been here before ? Shoulda visited. I would gladly pull up one of my hard chairs with a curvy “posture correcting” back that nobody’s spine can adjust to. Just like I had in school. Then we could go shoot fireworks out of some extra pvc pipe that I have and light a bon fire out of leaves.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just figured out why I agree with you so much! We are only 8 yrs apart, and being born in 1968, I am about half boomer myself!
I thank the Powers that Be regularly that I am not so easily offended, to me it is a sign of a weak mind.

I find this post offensive.
I’m going to make a Tik Tok where I’m crying to show the world how upset I am

Back