0   0   0
We Are Doomed Reaction GIF

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gen X is only the second generation in modern reefkeeping (keeping coral alive). Reefing as we know it is still very much in its infancy. Imagine what future generations will do with it.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, what has happened tho this hobby. Reading the last few weeks and just a bunch of knee jerk type reactions with no common sense reefing solutions or personally responsibility.
What you say seems to be the case, but I would not say it’s isolated to this hobby. Social media and information on the internet can have a small signal to noise ratio. I have noticed on this site that nonsense tends to be called out. There are times when BS reigns, but I would judge in those cases that the consequences of paying attention to the BS might be a “so what”.

Just gimmie the solution to my problem and it better be right, type of mindset. Or the long winded “pc” responses, that offer zero help but lots of I’m sorry’s, cos too scared to hurt someone’s feelings.

There seems to be a mindset that everything that is wrong should be fixed, there exists a 100% successful fix, and it is easy to use. And that thinking has bled over to this hobby, helped by the businesses that support and supply the hobby. The number of nonsense product claims in this hobby rivals those of human food supplements.

The PC language is actually OK. Having filters on what you say out loud or post hopefully helps us think before spewing vitriolic rubbish no one really wants to hear and doesn’t really help. You know, “if you don’t have anything nice to say…” :)

Guess it’s just society in general theses days!

Yep!

But are we GenX’rs really the last??

History seems to repeat itself, which I take to mean that the human mind evolves very slowly and we are only one large disaster from going back to the stone age.

William Chiavetta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, what has happened tho this hobby. Reading the last few weeks and just a bunch of knee jerk type reactions with no common sense reefing solutions or personally responsibility.

Just gimmie the solution to my problem and it better be right, type of mindset. Or the long winded “pc” responses, that offer zero help but lots of I’m sorry’s, cos too scared to hurt someone’s feelings.

But are we GenX’rs really the last??
I actually am gen Z and I have a cousin that is gen alpha and he is running a full 40 gallon reef tank by himself. I think that it will become not as popular but it will stay as a hobby

Malum Argenteum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Um, no.

"Our sires' age was worse than our grandsires'. We their sons are more worthless than they: so in our turn we shall give the world a progeny yet more corrupt."

-- Horace, Odes, III, vi, l. 46. (23 BCE)

There's a huge literature on what is sometimes called 'declinism bias' that an interested person could dig into to get to the root of this issue. Unless of course a person has a "Just gimmie the solution to my problem and it better be right, type of mindset", in which case just reading snappy forum replies might be a better option.

:winking-face:

danimal1211

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No matter what generation you are I think reefing has become a confusing hobby to get into. As our base of knowledge has increased our awareness of how little we actually know has also increased. Just a few years ago we “knew” if you had a hair algae problem you were over feeding. We also “knew” NH3 was the bogeyman yet more and more are dosing it and it’s equally scary cousin PO4. You often still hear the old ideas regurgitated.
What’s not new but simply more refined thanks to YouTube and social media and is that the market is driven by simple, easy fixes solutions to problems, that upon investigation are much better solved by patience and or elbow grease.

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think the lights can get much blue er
Lol! Very true! I think it’s just a trend that will fade once the next one comes. Maybe lights that move and also light the underside of coral will be the next step in hobbyist lighting. A complete lighting system rather than just individual units. Like surround sound for lighting.

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol! Very true! I think it’s just a trend that will fade once the next one comes. Maybe lights that move and also light the underside of coral will be the next step in hobbyist lighting. A complete lighting system rather than just individual units. Like surround sound for lighting.
You might be on to something with that..

Stevorino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've only been doing this 10 years.... and boy has it changed a lot in that time.

The technology, general information availability, and community are all better than ever.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m a millennial. Towards the older side of the millennial range. And I am a great reefer :)

75g
3E308AFF-BA9D-4E4B-A0C9-FCC05FCB3447.jpeg

1.1g
0F5AEC67-95AF-40D4-A877-E5BAD38782D9.jpeg

A909CA20-3307-4908-B7C6-29639512F84B.jpeg

Both as close to self sustaining and maintenance free as possible. Just add top off and clean glass.

Actually, the pico doesn’t need glass cleaning. Only refill the ato every 10-12 days
Looks like you're ready to start running with the big boys and try your hand at sps. Winky faced emoji

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 50 43.9%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 57 50.0%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 7 6.1%
Back