Is glass tempered?

Isaac Alves

www.instagram.com/theloneaquarist/
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the glass between the skimmer section and ATO reservoir on a 1500s2/p tempered?

7B341752-FDEA-4483-AC03-FEEADF1EDF17.jpeg

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
take a lap top and a pair of polarized sunglasses. Look at the lap top through the glass that you want to validate. If you see a 'wavy' pattern, it is tempered. I recommend you do a quick internet search to validate this..but this is how most people figure out if their tank is tempered or not without proof from manufacturer.

OP
OP
Isaac Alves

Isaac Alves

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might be thinking the Opti-Clear brand is actually owned by an American company located not too far from me, American Computer Optics, Inc. Interesting side note for me.

OP
OP
Isaac Alves

Isaac Alves

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
take a lap top and a pair of polarized sunglasses. Look at the lap top through the glass that you want to validate. If you see a 'wavy' pattern, it is tempered. I recommend you do a quick internet search to validate this..but this is how most people figure out if their tank is tempered or not without proof from manufacturer.

I’ve read this as well. But can’t find a picture of the effect I should be seeing. I’m not seeing wave lines of any kind. It just gets darker if I rotate the sunglasses or rotate the laptop screen. Would an iPhone screen give the same effect?

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve read this as well. But can’t find a picture of the effect I should be seeing. I’m not seeing wave lines of any kind. It just gets darker if I rotate the sunglasses or rotate the laptop screen. Would an iPhone screen give the same effect?
Has to be a lcd screen. new iPhones after 11 are made using oled

N1tew0lf1212

...Cronies Secretary...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it gets darker then it is annealed glass. Which is ok to drill in other words not tempered. When rotating the glasses is it clear then goes to a black out if so not tempered if rotating the sunglasses there is no effect it is tempered.

RELLIK-REEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the screen stays visible it's tempered, if it turns black when rotating the glasses then it's supposedly regular glass.
Side note, multiple checks with the laptop and different polarized glasses always tested as regular glass. Went to drill in overflow and boom, It was tempered. As shown in our build thread.

Even if annealed it can still break, into sharp edges, it won't go into a million pieces. I've drilled glass multiple times just go slow use a drill that you can set the torque on 1 then use high speed but don't push, let the drill do the work. Let water run on it constantly while you're grinding lifting the grinder out so the water can clean the groove often.

It's easy, don't stress. If you can, clamp a piece of wood to the opposite side and when you grind through it will make a lot cleaner cut. Without it the edges will will chip out as the grinder passes through.

Good luck with the drilling.

snorklr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the side windows in your car are tempered so perform the test on them first to see what your looking for and verify screen/ sunglasses are right

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 117 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back