Is H2O2 dosing the secret to clean rocks?

Is H2O2 dosing the secret to clean rocks?

• YES

Votes: 64 10.1%
  • NO

Votes: 142 22.3%
  • NOT SURE

Votes: 430 67.6%

• Total voters

Reeferdeluxe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran 20 mil of 3% total water volume of 125 gal. It cleared my water but not much else. I did this for a few weeks. What is the gha killing dose and dosing schedule?
I have some corals frogsoawn, zoas, acropora, plating montipora, anacropora all of those nothing negatively affected other than snails and 2 skunk cleaner shrimp and 1 fire shrimp. I was sick and tired of dinos and the only thing that seemed to put a dwnt in them was h2o2 so I went all in. I also read an article from wmas where a guy said that was the only way he was able to effectively defeat dinos as well.

Reeferdeluxe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some corals frogsoawn, zoas, acropora, plating montipora, anacropora all of those nothing negatively affected other than snails and 2 skunk cleaner shrimp and 1 fire shrimp. I was sick and tired of dinos and the only thing that seemed to put a dwnt in them was h2o2 so I went all in. I also read an article from wmas where a guy said that was the only way he was able to effectively defeat dinos as well.
Woops sorry meant that for Cory.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok you win lol. Any corals? When i dosed 10ml of 30% the skin of fish would bubble from it. If i dosed 125ml of 30% which would be about the same as 15% at 300ml to 150 gallons, i think it would kill my fish too. But i didn't have any sand its bare bottom so its possible having less organics to oxidize increases its effect. 10ml killed dinos very well. But they always came back. Uv sterilizer got rid of them.

For certain, less organics will allow more residual peroxide to remain in water. Very similar to treating swimming pool with chlorine or bacacele. Once organics are oxidized, it takes less oxidizer to maintain residual that is desired.

Can an oxygen meter be a direct measurement control device for peroxide dosing?

so much room for new discoveries agreed. if it helps any in planning, people with orp meters routinely post a drop (paradoxical, the rise is expected, Randy thinks this is organics-modulated wanted to relay) and then a rebound within 4 hours. we think its neutralized within 4 hours of tankwide addition, that's its functional time. we add lysmatas back in 4 hours after big doses.

You mentioned ORP meter, which is in my experiences was not a reliable indicator. While I have never used an oxygen meter to do this, I think the Europeans use an oxygen meter to regulate peroxide continuous drip. Oxidator

While peroxide well degrade in time with light, the speed at which an extra oxygen molecule reacts is quite fast in the water. If someone who batch doses every day could get an oxygen meter with continuous readout it could help with a direct reading instead of waiting for color change on rock.

Last edited:

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is a post yesterday by @Lasse on the use of an Oxydator which drips hydrogen peroxide and might take a month to clean up. I suspect that all macro algae would be in jeapordy with this system, I think Laissez would know.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The way an oxydator tamps down burn rates it has no known sensitives I bet it will not harm anything. That being said, nobody beats dinos with an oxydator but they’re good for water clarity help. Lysmata are not killed with these devices they slow incursion tremendously and streamline it out slowly.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used it to spot treat problem algae like bryopsis but I don't dose peroxide continuously (which seems to be what the poll is about?) and I have clean rocks sooo..... No?

I think the secret is a mature stable tank and a CUC.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is peroxide’s affect on anemones?

While I never dose peroxide to bulk water, if I want to eliminate pest, I soak rock with anemone or coral for 10 minutes in a 10% solution of 3% peroxide. When I want to kill pest anemone like aptasia, I inject concentrate peroxide into biomass.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@brandon429
@Lasse

On this thread, bulk dose of 6% peroxide at a rate of
4ml per 130G tank every day. My math skills are weak. Can someone please calculate ppb concentration.

Brandon,
You implied that peroxide would not hurt micro fauna & fana and you said it did not effect bacteria populations. That includes two different groups of players in the microbial loop. We would be hard pressed to quantify micro fauna & fana diverse populations but the reef community now has access to quantitative bacteria populations in our reef tanks. If you would use that tool, I would be more convinced by your discussion.

Lasse,
Does the use of an Oxydator effect macro algae?

What are your thoughts on batch dosing peroxide every day at the above mentioned dose rate.
Patrick

PS: It’s always, “A Question of Balance”.

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Imo the main reason high doses of peroxide wouldn't kill bacteria is because they were protected by an organic layer of detritus.

DaddyFish

“5 percenter”
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there some way to clarify "high doses" versus "average doses" versus "low doses" in this discussion?
For those of us who are presently in the "no doses" section of the stands, it's a lot like watching soccer. How do you play this game, exactly???

I keep breaking out a calculator and attempting to normalize every other post of 3% then 6% then 30% then daily then...
Is there any consensus on what the initial first-approach looks like?
:)

Futuretotm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@brandon429

I dose nightly 20ml of 3% peroxide, should I have my doser dump in at once or in smaller doses?
I do at night time as lights are out, I still have GHA here and there....

Also, I wonder if after a week or two that bottle has 1.25% h2o2 instead of the 3%, any word on shelf life after opening? I use the dark brown bottle it comes in and have a drilled hole on the top for the tubing to go in ...

DaddyFish

“5 percenter”
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@brandon429

I dose nightly 20ml of 3% peroxide, should I have my doser dump in at once or in smaller doses?
I do at night time as lights are out, I still have GHA here and there....

Also, I wonder if after a week or two that bottle has 1.25% h2o2 instead of the 3%, any word on shelf life after opening? I use the dark brown bottle it comes in and have a drilled hole on the top for the tubing to go in ...
@Futuretotm what size tank?

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey Future thanks for posting, such a neat thread to see the energy buzzing. The gha is hit and miss when dosing, for sure some folks have no benefit and for others it cleared their whole tank

the main aspect in my opinion that makes peroxide fun to work with is we can all see its not dangerous there are just various outcomes and patterns we try and replicate. Your current setup is open for experimentation safely and I don't have much data on the degradation rates in bottle so sorry haven't tracked any ways to accurately measure the degradation if present

check that gha zapping

we do not add peroxide to the water there, that's a direct contact thread. gha=bye

works wonders in nano reefs and its harder to affect in large tanks because of accessibility.

the reason nobody's gha escapes unharmed there is because we didn't add to the water and wait.

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been dosing H2O2 (hydrogen peroxide) for months and there are many threads here about it. I started dosing when I got dinos just to help with the battle. Dinos went away and I stayed away from algal blooms. I then got some cyano in some low flow spots. I added flow but also started to slowly dose more H2O2. The end result was clean beautiful purple rocks. So I dose 5 mL (6% solution) daily by hand to my 130g. Only downside is my zoas close up for 5 minutes almost immediately but have no long term downsides.
9188D800-FB6C-40D4-BC79-EA1286DA6EE2.jpeg
Here are the beautiful, clean purple rocks with healthy SPS.
AC499BCE-E01E-45CE-AEC6-D7DB491FC08D.jpeg
Curious to hear others’ experiences. And no I don’t see this as a fix to algae problems but just part of a maintenance regimen.
Are you diluting the 12% food grade down to 6%?
I ask because I got a bottle of the 12% to clean some discs up and may hit my system a couple times to see if it helps with this brown hair nuisance algae ive been fighting.

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a big problem with GHA in my sump because of my refugium. I know, I know...its still exporting nutrients. It's just so messy and ugly and gets EVERYWHERE. I was thinking about dosing h202 for it. Would that have any effect at all? Or if I did 1ml per 10 gallons of my tank but turn my return off and let it sit in the sump for an hour or so?

@brandon429

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a big problem with GHA in my sump because of my refugium. I know, I know...its still exporting nutrients. It's just so messy and ugly and gets EVERYWHERE. I was thinking about dosing h202 for it. Would that have any effect at all? Or if I did 1ml per 10 gallons of my tank but turn my return off and let it sit in the sump for an hour or so?

@brandon429

Does your refugium have an algae filter component to it? If it does, then peroxide will kill both.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Subsea

thread moving so fast am missing posts :)

based on the logged outcomes/ rolls of reports from dosing, which portion indicates loss of those communities

fully agreed we aren't actually sampling and testing to know what lives and dies, but just big picture only / how are all those doses looking in hindsight/any major tank upsets we see>

I absolutely love how forums provide counter balance for claims were it not for strong science throttling/verification/caution in forums crazier practices would be quickly adopted. I love having a high bar to reach for convincing that dosing is safe, love it. peroxide may indeed turn out to be not safe, but we now are in the realm of ten year feedback avail/truly long term impacts or benefits are developing.

For sure something must be dying at the microbial level, I just don't know what and the results make it seem neutral overall anyway.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 61 40.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 43 28.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 29 19.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back