Is H2O2 dosing the secret to clean rocks?

Is H2O2 dosing the secret to clean rocks?

• YES

Votes: 64 10.1%
  • NO

Votes: 142 22.3%
  • NOT SURE

Votes: 430 67.6%

• Total voters

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
[For sure something must be dying at the microbial level, I just don't know what and the results make it seem neutral overall anyway.]

If the uses of peroxide maintained filter feeders like sponges, sea apples & flame scallops; then I wouldn’t be so skeptical. I have purposely developed a microbial community to recycle organic & inorganic nutrients to support diverse filter feeders by providing live food of different sizes.

Brandon I know you like RIP clean. After 50 yrs of Reefing, I can’t go there, too sterile for me. Bring on herd immunity.

Last edited:

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not want that for your system :)

homogeneity in reef tank design leads to an overall crash the system must have variances in order to adapt, system=the hobby and producing coral mass in the home overall.
the method you work with is absolutely strong and can result in carrying more animals per square inch in production mode, to evaluate what we do as mini-aquaculture setups

the ole rip is a fallback the masses can use to grow coral in a mason jar, or a legit tank, until more subtle methods take over. it will darn sure arrest eutrophication loss right quickly, there are times to wield a good rip clean in tank CPR that make the difference between life and death (and then deftly arranging the tank to never go eutrophic is the heart of your system)

any system that will be disassembled and moved anytime in the next 4 years needs to wield rip cleaning without any effort or hesitation, to avoid loss in the new tank we'd use zero old sand unrinsed for example.

but in a balanced pro system, top of the bell curve and not looking down anytime soon due to animal balancing, to rip clean would be un gentlemanlike.

Last edited:

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I was thinking about just pulling my Chaeto out when I do this. Then put it back in after I turn the return back on.

Go ahead and seperate the two while you treat. I suggest a minimum of 1 hour. However, If you have obvious GHA that you see, then you can expect to have spores in the biofilm that covers your Chaeto. As a grower of macro algae in 10K gallon cultivation system, peroxide kills all algae indiscriminately. I spent a lot of time & effort attempting to eliminate GHA epilate from Bortacladia & Dragons Breath.

Good luck cleaning your refugium of GHA.

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go ahead and seperate the two while you treat. I suggest a minimum of 1 hour. However, If you have obvious GHA that you see, then you can expect to have spores in the biofilm that covers your Chaeto. As a grower of macro algae in 10K gallon cultivation system, peroxide kills all algae indiscriminately. I spent a lot of time & effort attempting to eliminate GHA epilate from Bortacladia & Dragons Breath.

Yeah, I thought about that. I wanted to get new Chaeto...unfortunately Algae barn has been out for months it seems like...

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Just texted the owner of my LFS and I guess he just got some in from ORA. Wasn't aware they carried Chaeto.

So hes holding one for me tonight. I will peroxide the sump for at least an hour, and then run the return for a bit then put the new chaeto in.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lasse,
Does the use of an Oxydator effect macro algae?
It could if enough no catalyzed H2O2 slips through the second catalysator (explanation - see this) and to much oxygen radicals will be produced in the DT. It is the oxygen radicals like O atoms, HO radicals and HOO radicals that will be formed when H2O2 is breaken down in the DT - free from the oxydator. With help of to high concentration and to many catalyst in the reaction chamber - to much will slip out.

Bleaching of corals can be caused by too high photosynthesis and too low water current around the coral because the produced oxygen gas can´t enter the water - it will be blocked in the tissues as oxygen radicals. The same will happen in macro algae, plants and microalgae when surplus oxygen can¨t pr transported out through the stomata - or radicals is transported into the cells because an overpressure of the on the outside. To high concentrations of pure H2O2 (and following radicals) can be fatal whether administered directly or via an oxidator,

This is of-cause true for bacteria too - produced oxygen radicals will kill them too if the concentration of them is to high - in fact there is systems using hydrogen peroxide as a substitute for active chlorine (as a disinfectant) in public baths.

Sincerely Lasse

Dcole12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently fighting a battle with Dinos'. Which H202 do you buy?? Should I try to dose this before trying anything else? Did it make a good impact on your DIno's?

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DCole that is a very subjective answer, best reco is check back prior page where I listed the big peroxide work threads

the very top is the dinos one, checking outcomes there is the best way to know/patterning over ten years. there are pros and cons with attempting to dose it in tank, and all the various presentations there will show you patterns you can build an approach from/ such as how often to dose etc

Last edited:

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

this one for dinos

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Threads moving fast!
@brandon429
Did we get proper dosage for in tank treatment?
140 gallon =?ml/gallon?
I have the 12% food grade H202.

Also just want to put it out there this isn't end all be all. Cleaning some discs and going to give in tank treatment. Let rodi get away from me and believe silica problem. Fixing that as well.

Cwentz758

Do you even Reef bro?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I never dose peroxide to bulk water, if I want to eliminate pest, I soak rock with anemone or coral for 10 minutes in a 10% solution of 3% peroxide. When I want to kill pest anemone like aptasia, I inject concentrate peroxide into biomass.
I have a rainbow nem in my tank that I don’t want to upset.

good to know about pest types though

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

this one for dinos

H2O2, saved my reef while dealing with Lyngbya

This post saved my reef.

After identifying that is was Lyngbya
lyngbya-majuscula-1954a869-ab8f-4ab5-9653-edfbedc5c43-resize-750.jpg

Searched Reef 2 Reef and knew it was super bad and might be worse than dinos... :(

@brandon429 led me over here from another thread.

For the first time in many years, did a three-day black and dosed 2.2 mls to every 10 gallons (going off the display rating of 110 gallons) h2o2 every twelve hours.

The blackout with h2o2 sure did help, but it was still alive.

Kept up doing the 2.2 to 10 every twelve hours during daylight on and it still kept breaking down.

Once it really paled out, my Purple tang and Achilles tang took matters on from there, ripping it off the live rock.

My personal physician did call in 500mgs of Azithromycin, but truly happy that I never had to go that route.

Thanks so much for both you two to leave a trail on Reef 2 Reef.

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
H2O2, saved my reef while dealing with Lyngbya
Hmm I've been dealing with a brown hairy type algae thats been driving me nuts. How does this stuff start out? Seems like mine will film over my discs and then start throwing the hairs.
Do you have any close ups of any starting to grow?
As well as did this algae capture air bubbles in it?

Britestar202

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been dosing H2O2 (hydrogen peroxide) for months and there are many threads here about it. I started dosing when I got dinos just to help with the battle. Dinos went away and I stayed away from algal blooms. I then got some cyano in some low flow spots. I added flow but also started to slowly dose more H2O2. The end result was clean beautiful purple rocks. So I dose 5 mL (6% solution) daily by hand to my 130g. Only downside is my zoas close up for 5 minutes almost immediately but have no long term downsides.
9188D800-FB6C-40D4-BC79-EA1286DA6EE2.jpeg
Here are the beautiful, clean purple rocks with healthy SPS.
AC499BCE-E01E-45CE-AEC6-D7DB491FC08D.jpeg
Curious to hear others’ experiences. And no I don’t see this as a fix to algae problems but just part of a maintenance regimen.
I really enjoyed this post. I’m still a newbie. Just approaching 1 year in the hobby. I recently had a really bad Cyno and GHA experience that killed most of my coral. Tried everything to no avail. Finally read an article about H2O. Since the majority of algae was on sand, I put all the sand in a bucket with 3% peroxide and washed really well. I then rinsed sand well with RDO water. My high Nitrates were due to waste/debris in the sand. I only put back half of the sand (put rest in spare tank). Less sand is easier to keep clean. I also removed some of the live rock so that there was more space to clean better. I used a toothbrush and peroxide to clean all the rocks and rinsed before putting back. Finally I bought a better siphon to vacuum the sand. Things looked better almost immediately! One month later and still looks good. No algae!

EpisodeMnH

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone clue me in as to how to safely do this?

I’d like to start dosing and see what kind of results I have in my tank.

I have a 32.5 gallon and have all softies and a few LPS, all Euphyllia.

ACF930

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’ve been dosing 25ml for my 170 gal twice a week for years with no ill effects. I have a LPS dominant tank so I think it helps to mitigate bacterial issues and brown jelly disease. Sometimes I have to dose nitrates so no effect on my nitrifying bacteria.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 46 29.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 44 27.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 54 34.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.1%
Back