Is hydrous sodium silicate fine to use for silicate dosing?

BloopFish

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 2, 2019
Messages
798
Reaction score
587
What state or country do you live in
New York
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been wanting to dose silicates in my reef tank and read Randy Holme-Farley's article about silicate dosing. I know that it mentions you can buy water glass solution to dose silicates, but I was wondering if I could purchase this hydrous sodium silicate powder I found online to dissolve in water and dose diluted "water glass" in my reef tank. I ask this because it seems a lot cheaper to buy it in powdered form.
 
I have a dry form i use. Its very difficult to keep from caking. Even in a sealed container a few times it been opened has gotten enough atmospheric humidity to just form a solid block. Never found a recipe to use dry so tend to just make a saturated solution, and dose small amounts every other day. My gorgs use before i can get a positive on my test kit. Use my ph probe to make sure i didnt overdose. Also wear gloves.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 1 11.1%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 22.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new