Is it normal for BTA to behave like this?

@happyhourhero so when you mentioned "I feel it is normal for them to be all strange for the first couple of weeks and look like crap", the picture I provided looks worse than crap, in your opinion?

Not worse than but like. As long as it has good flow, a way to pull back out of the light and good water, i think it will be fine. FWIW, I NEVER directly feed mine.

BKs7NWH.jpg
 
What's your flow like? My E. quadricolor moved right up into medium/high flow, and even when he's having a 'bad day' he never just flops over. He's either big or small, and when he's pooping (when they look their worst) he's still getting enough flow to move the tentacles a lot.
 
What's your flow like? My E. quadricolor moved right up into medium/high flow, and even when he's having a 'bad day' he never just flops over. He's either big or small, and when he's pooping (when they look their worst) he's still getting enough flow to move the tentacles a lot.

Tentacles moved okay, gently, not fully blown. Jebao RW8 dialled on speed 3 and not direct hit to the Anemone.
 
Mine does the exact same thing. It actually divided about a week or so ago and now both of them behave like this. They moved to other locations after they divided so I assume they are happy where they are, just one of those things
 
Mine has been in the tank for 6 weeks now he shrinks upat jightnwithnthe lights off and he fills out every day when the lights are on. I tried feeding him and piece of shrimp the first week and he withdrew and took a couple of days to come back to normal, I researched and found out that they don't do well when over feed. So now I add thawed mysis shrimp to the tank for the fish ajd he always gets a couple and he seems really happy.
 
This BTA is like playing dead to me. This morning dawn when the light still off, he was inflated, tentacles are fat.

And now when the light is about to turn on, playing dead again.

I don't know if this BTA is happy or not, but am quite sure it's not dying, well not yet. If it keep playing this game, off to bin you go. Don't play this game with me. Angry angry man.
 
Folks, ambient light is OKAY right? The tank doesn't have to be in a pitch dark room, right?

I'm getting the feeling it thinks the ambient light is the source of his photosynthesis....

The Kessil light was set to max intensity of 50% at the moment, specially catered for the anemone.
 
Of course you don't want ambient light on the nem 24/7. At some point in 24hrs, it needs enough darkness to distinguish day and night. My nems will stay fully inflated and bubbles 24 hrs a day. They close when they want (to excrete waste or something makes it mad) but for the most part, nems will stay open the majority of the time....they may close some, some may ball up but they usually won't do all the time. I've had nems for many, many years and always recommend this read below....

http://www.karensroseanemones.net/
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 7 4.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 7.1%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 17.5%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 52 33.8%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 7.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 6.5%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 24 15.6%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 10 6.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new