Is it normal for mandarin dragonet to be shy

Justin poirier

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 18, 2017
Messages
253
Reaction score
83
What state or country do you live in
Minnesota
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought a mandarin and he’s not moving much breathing perfect but he doesn’t want to leave one spot he’ll wonder (sometimes) but will spend lot of time in one spot only
 
Just give it some time. It took mine a few days before he started roaming around the tank.
 
I'd give it at least a week to let him settle in, have you noticed him foraging at all? Eating at least a little would be a good sign.
 
They're very shy at first but they will warm up to their owner after a while, especially when you get a good feeding schedule going.
 
I'd give it at least a week to let him settle in, have you noticed him foraging at all? Eating at least a little would be a good sign.

I’ve seen him look for food with his eyes. Never pick at it as a mandarin would do. Are supplying copopods a good choice I red blenny that roams and finds copopods all over the tank
 
I’ve seen him look for food with his eyes. Never pick at it as a mandarin would do. Are supplying copopods a good choice I red blenny that roams and finds copopods all over the tank
Supplying copepods would be a great choice. Look up DIY mandarin feeders and try to get one in the area he stays in.
 
Supplying copepods would be a great choice. Look up DIY mandarin feeders and try to get one in the area he stays in.

Okay. I think there are copepods already especially since myred dragonet/ scooter blenny is eating copepods AND frozen so hopefully my mandarin will join in with that party
 
Okay. I think there are copepods already especially since myred dragonet/ scooter blenny is eating copepods AND frozen so hopefully my mandarin will join in with that party
It can take some time, best to create as much of a low stress environment as possible for the little guy as it gets used to its new home. Just make sure there are plenty of pods in the tank for both fish, since that will be their primary food source between feedings.
 
Great news....... I can’t find him
 
I doubt he would've starved that fast, are you still seeing pods in the tank? In other words is SOME food available do him?
 
I’ve seen him look for food with his eyes. Never pick at it as a mandarin would do. Are supplying copopods a good choice I red blenny that roams and finds copopods all over the tank
Old post, I know, but this is exactly the same experience I have with my Mandarin. I've had her for 8 months now and she's definitely grown a lot. But she's still pretty shy and reclusive and doesn't roam and hunt nearly as aggressively as my red scooter....that guy is always out and about and eats like a pig...even takes small bits of frozen that make it to the bottom.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH PART OF YOUR SETUP IS HARDEST TO REACH OR REMOVE FOR ROUTINE MAINTENANCE?

  • Glass behind or beside the tank

    Votes: 17 21.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 8.9%
  • Sump or rear filtration chambers

    Votes: 11 13.9%
  • Skimmer or other filtration equipment

    Votes: 10 12.7%
  • Overflow or plumbing

    Votes: 13 16.5%
  • Lights or lids

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mine is pretty easy to access!

    Votes: 20 25.3%
  • Other—tell us what I missed

    Votes: 1 1.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new