Is it possible to have a nem in a 5g (RFA or Maxi Mini)?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Porcelain anemone crabs are also really fun to watch.

What are you using for lighting?

Also what kind of rock is that?

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The silicone nems have been awesome. I attached a pic. They came in a pack of six on Amazon. With this being my first tank I had no experience with flow or powerheads so I was trying to find a flow meter I could buy to check out my stock pump (which, as it turns out, has no flow at all needed for corals) but the only ones I found were professional meters and way to expensive. After searching and searching I came across an article whose title was "a cheap way to test flow in your saltwater tank". Perfect... I like cheap!! LOL. I was able to place them all over my tank (rocks, sandbed, etc) to see what was going on and move them as needed. I'm glad I had them before getting corals because the first powerhead I got was waaaaaay too powerful and it nearly blew these silicone nems across the tank. If I didn't have them to test with I would've killed any coral I put in the tank with that powerhead. Needless to say I downgraded it. Haha. The only problem is now my inhabitants are taking up residence in them. My clown gobies each have one and the sexys are in the blue one at the top right of the pic. LOL

I just checked my goby list and I have the neons on it so I will be sure to keep that to a singleton. So far I only have singles of everything (except the clown gobies) but that was more because I was afraid to overload my system. My plan was to pick out some that I would get multiples of if they were group fish.
I love they all have their own house lol

OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Porcelain anemone crabs are also really fun to watch.

What are you using for lighting?

Also what kind of rock is that?
Right now I just have the stock lights going. It's a Top Fin AIO (their version of an AIO... the built in sump/filtration area is crummy). The lid has a bunch of built in LEDs with different settings (white, blue, red, green, yellow, purple and a cycle setting through all of them). This was definitely made for a few setup. The blue would never grow high end corals but the beginner corals I have don't seem to mind. I bought a better light (black box type, Lominie I think) but I haven't set it up yet. I'm just waiting for the parts to finish my screen top.

The rock is that CaribSea LifeRock (dry rock). It comes in white and purple. I kind of wish I had purchased the white but the purple isn't bad. I have to turn on the white lights to see the coralline algae that's starting to grow. Under the blue lights the red coralline looks purple. Haha. For a first kick at the can it's not a bad little tank but I'm already looking at the Waterbox AIOs. I just need to find room. This tank is sitting on my sewing machine table and my sewing machine is on the floor which is where I do my sewing now. Haha.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now I just have the stock lights going. It's a Top Fin AIO (their version of an AIO... the built in sump/filtration area is crummy). The lid has a bunch of built in LEDs with different settings (white, blue, red, green, yellow, purple and a cycle setting through all of them). This was definitely made for a few setup. The blue would never grow high end corals but the beginner corals I have don't seem to mind. I bought a better light (black box type, Lominie I think) but I haven't set it up yet. I'm just waiting for the parts to finish my screen top.

The rock is that CaribSea LifeRock (dry rock). It comes in white and purple. I kind of wish I had purchased the white but the purple isn't bad. I have to turn on the white lights to see the coralline algae that's starting to grow. Under the blue lights the red coralline looks purple. Haha. For a first kick at the can it's not a bad little tank but I'm already looking at the Waterbox AIOs. I just need to find room. This tank is sitting on my sewing machine table and my sewing machine is on the floor which is where I do my sewing now. Haha.

The gorg in the back looks to be doing poorly. I would change your lights as soon as you can. The Top Fin light can not support coral... corals just die very very slowly in poor lighting (except maybe the easiest mushrooms, I have seen them survive when nothing else can).

OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love they all have their own house lol
Exactly!! I have three more of those fake nems I can put in if needed but I'm hoping to ramp up my coral additions so I can eventually get rid of them. Haha. I honestly didn't think any of my inhabitants would take up residence in them but here we are. LOL. In hindsight I think they helped reduce the stress of being in a new tank because it gave them a place to go and hangout. :)

OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The gorg in the back looks to be doing poorly. I would change your lights as soon as you can. The Top Fin light can not support coral... corals just die very very slowly in poor lighting (except maybe the easiest mushrooms, I have seen them survive when nothing else can).
Ya, that gorg you mentioned has had a rough time. I got it and a Corky Finger without having a powerhead (well I had a powerhead but it was the one that would've blown them across the tank). The Corky died not surprisingly. I just got the new powerhead on Sunday but didn't get it hooked up until Monday. Surprisingly that gorg has perked up a bit but I don't know if it will make it because there was already tissue loss. Should I cut off those branches? I hope to have the new light up tomorrow.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I probably wouldn't frag it just yet. Mostly because it's already stressed.

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly!! I have three more of those fake nems I can put in if needed but I'm hoping to ramp up my coral additions so I can eventually get rid of them. Haha. I honestly didn't think any of my inhabitants would take up residence in them but here we are. LOL. In hindsight I think they helped reduce the stress of being in a new tank because it gave them a place to go and hangout. :)
Lol I think so to, everyone can go bacl to their rooms once they had enough ;Hilarious

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The silicone nems have been awesome. I attached a pic. They came in a pack of six on Amazon. With this being my first tank I had no experience with flow or powerheads so I was trying to find a flow meter I could buy to check out my stock pump (which, as it turns out, has no flow at all needed for corals) but the only ones I found were professional meters and way to expensive. After searching and searching I came across an article whose title was "a cheap way to test flow in your saltwater tank". Perfect... I like cheap!! LOL. I was able to place them all over my tank (rocks, sandbed, etc) to see what was going on and move them as needed. I'm glad I had them before getting corals because the first powerhead I got was waaaaaay too powerful and it nearly blew these silicone nems across the tank. If I didn't have them to test with I would've killed any coral I put in the tank with that powerhead. Needless to say I downgraded it. Haha. The only problem is now my inhabitants are taking up residence in them. My clown gobies each have one and the sexys are in the blue one at the top right of the pic. LOL

I just checked my goby list and I have the neons on it so I will be sure to keep that to a singleton. So far I only have singles of everything (except the clown gobies) but that was more because I was afraid to overload my system. My plan was to pick out some that I would get multiples of if they were group fish.
I wouldn’t put more than one or maybe two small goby size fish in a 5g, there’s just not enough room for each fish to stake out a territory.

As far as RFAs and Maxi Minis go,
I’ve never had issues with either killing or eating fish or inverts. I’ve found maxi minis to be more likely to stay put, but both are pretty sedentary compared to something like a bubble tip or condylactis. Right now I have one of each and the maxi mini is absolutely thriving, while the RFA is sort of just stagnant ( it keeps itself in really low light and has stayed really small, the maxi mini has doubled or tripled in size (its a good 4-5” across). I think either would be fine for your tank

OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t put more than one or maybe two small goby size fish in a 5g, there’s just not enough room for each fish to stake out a territory.

As far as RFAs and Maxi Minis go,
I’ve never had issues with either killing or eating fish or inverts. I’ve found maxi minis to be more likely to stay put, but both are pretty sedentary compared to something like a bubble tip or condylactis. Right now I have one of each and the maxi mini is absolutely thriving, while the RFA is sort of just stagnant ( it keeps itself in really low light and has stayed really small, the maxi mini has doubled or tripled in size (its a good 4-5” across). I think either would be fine for your tank
Thank you!! I will definitely be careful with how many gobies go in my tank. I really want a Trimma or Eviota as my final goby until I upgrade next year. I love having the 5g but I want additional gobies more. :) That's interesting about the maxi vs the RFA in your tank. I definitely have time to contemplate my options given my tank still has a bit of maturing to do and I want to make sure the new light I just bought/setup works properly. I thought the head would be bigger than it is (it's a Lominie Pixie 30). It seems to have good spread but it's hard to tell if there is dropoff just looking at it. I need a par meter for Christmas. :) I might be upgrading the light sooner rather than later. Haha.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you!! I will definitely be careful with how many gobies go in my tank. I really want a Trimma or Eviota as my final goby until I upgrade next year. I love having the 5g but I want additional gobies more. :) That's interesting about the maxi vs the RFA in your tank. I definitely have time to contemplate my options given my tank still has a bit of maturing to do and I want to make sure the new light I just bought/setup works properly. I thought the head would be bigger than it is (it's a Lominie Pixie 30). It seems to have good spread but it's hard to tell if there is dropoff just looking at it. I need a par meter for Christmas. :) I might be upgrading the light sooner rather than later. Haha.
From what I can tell and have read about this light, it doesn’t have great PAR, but should be okay for some rock flowers/maxi minis and lower light soft corals. Maxi minis like more light than RFAs, but the light should be adequate. Really it’s the gorgonians that it may not be enough for, IME gorgonians like a lot of light. But still the new light is definitely a step up from your current light, and I imagine your gorgs will appreciate it.

A word of caution, I did see several reports of this light catching fire. No light is 100% safe, but I just noticed a lot of people saying theirs caught fire/exploded.

OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I can tell and have read about this light, it doesn’t have great PAR, but should be okay for some rock flowers/maxi minis and lower light soft corals. Maxi minis like more light than RFAs, but the light should be adequate. Really it’s the gorgonians that it may not be enough for, IME gorgonians like a lot of light. But still the new light is definitely a step up from your current light, and I imagine your gorgs will appreciate it.

A word of caution, I did see several reports of this light catching fire. No light is 100% safe, but I just noticed a lot of people saying theirs caught fire/exploded.
Wow, thanks for this!! Especially the catching fire part. I did read the PAR wasn't super great but figured it would be good for the depth of my tank but now I have my doubts. I was looking at this and the Hygger 50w. I have a feeling I will be changing this Pixie and after I go through all the black box lights in hopes of saving money, the total money spent could have gone toward an AI Prime. Haha!!

BanjoBandito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a nano loaded with nems. Rock flowers (x5) and a maxi mini. Never had an issue with any livestock and they've been pretty bulletproof. The maxi mini doesn't like the light and will kinda hide and move around a bit, but the RF stay put. Definitely recommend!

OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a nano loaded with nems. Rock flowers (x5) and a maxi mini. Never had an issue with any livestock and they've been pretty bulletproof. The maxi mini doesn't like the light and will kinda hide and move around a bit, but the RF stay put. Definitely recommend!
Awesome! Thanks so much! I'm happy to read that some of these nems don't like/need much light because it remains to be seen whether the light I bought (Lominie) is capable of sustaining life. It might be an all nem tank Instead of a gorg/nem mixed tank. LOL

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 51 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 9.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 5 7.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.5%

Back