OP
EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my vote is keep light low to medium intensity and do not attempt to feed until healed.
Definitely wasn't planning on feeding it. I've got 2 RFAs and 2 sexy shrimp plus a bunch of Xenia, so I usually feed pellets a couple times a week - just a few.

F i s h y

2nd In Command. Where is Frank's firebug badge?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my vote is keep light low to medium intensity and do not attempt to feed until healed.
i would go for this, probably lean towards medium lighting.

rnb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Typically when a nem is cut like this what it will do is work to slowly bring both cut edges together to form a new circle and then those edges will fuse together and the piece of mouth in the center will then heal.

The fact that you can see a piece of the mouth on both halves is a good sign that it should be able to heal itself.
Totally agree with this. If both halves have some mouth, then your chances of survival go up. Another thing I want to know is if the tentacles are inflated or deflated? Typically if they are inflating every now and then that's also a good sign.

OP
OP
EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Totally agree with this. If both halves have some mouth, then your chances of survival go up. Another thing I want to know is if the tentacles are inflated or deflated? Typically if they are inflating every now and then that's also a good sign.
I'm not sure what they look like in different states of inflation/deflation since they're always very short. They are still sticky...

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had heard iodine is good. I add iodine (RS trace) on a regular basis that may help. Also I have some microbe lift stuff for bacterial infections (I think it is Eucalyptus oil or similar) I have been using it on a Blue Throat wrasse that was a rescue and in pretty ruff shape. Had popeye. and was lethargic. Two doses of this stuff, he is feeling better, the swelling is way down in the eye. I put him in my softy tank so lots of LPS and zoas and a couple anemones. It doesn’t seem to bother them at all. Of course this is all anecdotal. But just saying.

OP
OP
EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's an update. Both halves are still alive - each is at least somewhat attached to the rock, they react when I bother them, and are sticky.

One half (on the right, probably the healthier of the 2) had started to move onto the sand so this morning I coaxed it off the edge of the rock and put it back towards the center (I'd rather they not bury themselves until healed).

The other half keeps slouching over... A small part of its foot is attached but it keeps moving so that the mouth/damaged side are also touching the rock. I keep gently scootching it back upright, but a few hours later it has sagged down again. This was this morning:
PXL_20231117_231906788.jpg

And again this evening:

PXL_20231118_005203791.jpg

When I gently blow water on them, some gunk blows off the better one, so I guess some of it died - hopefully it was just a small piece that's mostly decayed and doesn't spread to the rest of the nem.

These are the best shots I could get this evening (after I made the one on the left/top"sit up"):
PXL_20231117_232216859.jpg
PXL_20231117_232133066.jpg

OP
OP
EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little bit of a rough """cut""" but the fact they didn't melt over 24 hours shows great promise!

Now just to stave off infection... wishing you good luck! And hopefully you have two (now slightly smaller) nems!
Thank you!
Things seem to be going ok. The one that flops itself over on its face at night has an immediate reaction to light and starts righting itself. I'm just going to let it be... was considering trying to prevent it from slouching but it doesn't seem to be doing any harm. The other one's foot is much more attached to the rock today and no more gunk flew off when I blew water at it.
I let them get more light today and they don't seem worse for it. Still on a reduced lighting regimen though.

I'm much more hopeful now than I was Tuesday when I injured it.

Last edited:

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you!
Things seem to be going ok. The one that flops itself over on its face at night has an immediate reaction to light and starts righting itself. I'm just going to let it be... was considering trying to prevent it from slouching but it doesn't seem to be doing any harm. The other one's foot is much more attached to the rock today and no more gunk flew off when I blew water at it.
I let them get more light today and they don't seem worse for it. Still on a reduced lighting regimen though.

I'm much more hopeful now than I was Tuesday when I injured it.
good news!!

OP
OP
EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today's update: both nems are still doing well. Both are starting to form a circle like @GlassMunky mentioned, and I'm having to watch to make sure neither crawls off the rock.

PXL_20231119_191200529.jpg

No more face planting either :)

PXL_20231119_191042121.jpg
PXL_20231119_191118559.jpg

OP
OP
EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't say anything for certain, but I once lifted a rock out of my tank and half my mini-maxi stayed with the rock. . . the other did not. . . in no time at all I had 2 nems!

Hopefully your nem makes it and you have 2!
It/they definitely look better than the day I tore it apart. I was horrified when I realized what I had done...

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 141 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.0%
Back