Damaged mini maxi anemone

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a mini carpet anemone in my smaller tank. Unfortunately when I added it (around February), it decided to attach itself to the return nozzle of the 10 gallon AIO. I've tried to get it to move but has no luck so just left it to do its thing.
Last weekend the pump on this tank slowed down considerably and I needed to remove it for cleaning. There was no way to get the pump out without taking apart (unscrewing) the nozzle. So, yesterday as gently as I could, I worked the nem's foot off of the nozzle. At the end, it did feel a little like it tore, but I was hoping that a tiny foot tear would not be a problem.

Well, once I took the return mechanism out, I realized there was a big part of the nem itself - not just the foot - INSIDE the part that screws into the nozzle :(
I gently worked the torn off piece from the plastic it had wedged itself into, and put it back in the tank.

Both halves are still there and both are at least somewhat attached to the rock, although this morning the piece that was wedged in the plastic had fallen/floated off the rock and I had to place it back. I don't know if it's worth mentioning that the tops of both are very sticky... hopefully that's a good sign?

Pics from yesterday evening - the more damaged half is on the right:

PXL_20231114_232751478.jpg
PXL_20231114_232805131.jpg

Here's the best shot I could get of the damage (I put it back on the rock after):

PXL_20231114_233135751.jpg

Here's the "better" half:

PXL_20231114_233211434.jpg

OP
OP
EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And here are pics from just now. The first 2 were before I did anything (ones a close up of the damage) and the second 2 are after I blew them off gently with a baster (not very much slime/tissue blew off but you can see one retracted a bit -again I'm hoping that's a good sign) Strangely, the part I assume is more damaged looks bigger than the other part today... I'm wondering if they switched places.

PXL_20231116_044444780.jpg
PXL_20231116_044503327.jpg

PXL_20231116_044623491.jpg

PXL_20231116_044629955.jpg

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh no poor nem :( I mean his color still looks good in the picture so maybe there is hope for at least one of the halves hopefully?? Its a very pretty nem. Hopefully he makes it

OP
OP
EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh no poor nem :( I mean his color still looks good in the picture so maybe there is hope for at least one of the halves hopefully?? Its a very pretty nem. Hopefully he makes it
Thanks. I have not done anything to them except put them on that rock... I have iodine and cipro but wanted to get some feedback before trying either of those.

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once a name tears its foot it’s unlike to recover especially since it’s a carpet, usually bubble tips and rfa will heal from a foot injury.
All you can do just wait and see if it recovers.

OP
OP
EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once a name tears its foot it’s unlike to recover especially since it’s a carpet, usually bubble tips and rfa will heal from a foot injury.
Any tips for medicating it?

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only time will tell but anemones are quite hardy in my experience of keeping them. Hope it pulls through for you

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not true.

I’ve taken a maxi mini nem and cut them in half before, and both halves healed into new nems.

I’d say based of my experience with maxis this should be fine in the end. Give them both secluded spaces where the flow isn’t too strong and give them a small rock or something to grab hold to.

I’d be willing to bet that within a week or so at least one if not both halves will recover and heal up.

The only time I’d get nervous and remove them is if you see them start to turn into mush and fall apart. Otherwise it means it’s working on healing. Give it time.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Typically when a nem is cut like this what it will do is work to slowly bring both cut edges together to form a new circle and then those edges will fuse together and the piece of mouth in the center will then heal.

The fact that you can see a piece of the mouth on both halves is a good sign that it should be able to heal itself.

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I disagree with this statement about RFA’s and foot injuries. I’d say they are the least likely to bounce back from a foot injury and very prone to developing infections. Especially if there is any kind of tear.

As for this one, if it were me, and you can remove it without stressing it out, I’d dip it in an iodine bath, just as preventative measure. Again though my experience is mostly with RFA’s , so maybe wait to see what the others say as well.

OP
OP
EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I disagree with this statement about RFA’s and foot injuries. I’d say they are the least likely to bounce back from a foot injury and very prone to developing infections. Especially if there is any kind of tear.

As for this one, if it were me, and you can remove it without stressing it out, I’d dip it in an iodine bath, just as preventative measure. Again though my experience is mostly with RFA’s , so maybe wait to see what the others say as well.
Thanks. If both are still attached to the rock this evening I may just dip the whole rock... I don't want to further stress them out but do agree that preventing infection is important.

F i s h y

2nd In Command. Where is Frank's firebug badge?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the above advice, Dip in Iodine to try to prevent infection. i have had some carpets with some pretty big tears. Nothing like this. i think at least the one side with the most mouth looks pretty good and should heal given the right time and conditions. will be curious to see if the other side does.

OP
OP
EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the above advice, Dip in Iodine to try to prevent infection. i have had some carpets with some pretty big tears. Nothing like this. i think at least the one side with the most mouth looks pretty good and should heal given the right time and conditions. will be curious to see if the other side does.
Thanks. I know I probably should have done an iodine dip immediately but I've never treated anemones for anything and wasn't sure if it would cause further damage. Is the recipe the same as for coral- add iodine to container of tank water until it's the color of strong tea and dip/bathe for 10-15 minutes?

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I know I probably should have done an iodine dip immediately but I've never treated anemones for anything and wasn't sure if it would cause further damage. Is the recipe the same as for coral- add iodine to container of tank water until it's the color of strong tea and dip/bathe for 10-15 minutes?
the video I watched mentioned doing "light tea color" "arizona tea" :grinning-squinting-face: and then yes 10 to 15 minutes.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 27 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.8%
Back