Is it possible to have a vertical sump?

Ennvi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My aquarium cabinet is much taller than it is wide, and i don't have space for a sump to be outside of the cabinet. Is there any effective way to make a tall sump? for reference, the cabinet is 28 inches tall and only 12 inches wide (the whole thing is 24 inches wide but there's a divider wall in the middle of it)

I currently use a canister filter that i clean weekly to avoid the nitrate factory, but of course a sump would be far more ideal than that.

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you design it yourself theres no reason you cant make an extra tall one. Would be hard to find one on the market like that.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Isn’t that called a canister filter
Ha Ha Ha Lol GIF

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends your goals for using the sump. Basic must have is ability for it to hold the excess water when pump off. Should be able to accomplish that in the footprint/height you describe. Doing that and also having a spot for a skimmer may get a bit tougher tougher though.

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My aquarium cabinet is much taller than it is wide, and i don't have space for a sump to be outside of the cabinet. Is there any effective way to make a tall sump? for reference, the cabinet is 28 inches tall and only 12 inches wide (the whole thing is 24 inches wide but there's a divider wall in the middle of it)

I currently use a canister filter that i clean weekly to avoid the nitrate factory, but of course a sump would be far more ideal than that.
You don’t need a sump there are tanks running without it. Yes it has limitations.

jskidds2294

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I’d suggest a Oase thermal canister filter. Other then the protein skimmer it has a pre filter, tons of media trays, and a built in heater. Basically a vertical sump.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 66 51.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 52.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 32 25.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back