Is it possible to remove salt from the air?

naps

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 19, 2025
Messages
111
Reaction score
128
Location
Eugene
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep my 20g reef tank in my office / man cave and I am worried about the salt in the air rusting certain items in here. I have my gaming computer, a racing simulator, NAS Servers / network rack and all sorts of other things I would rather not corrode. Is it possible through air filtration or maybe de-humidification to remove the salt in the air and prevent rust / oxidation?
 
The salt doesn’t evaporate, but water does, which can increase humidity in the room, and corrode and even mold lots of things. You could look into a dehumidifier if the humidity in the room gets to be too much,
 
I keep my 20g reef tank in my office / man cave and I am worried about the salt in the air rusting certain items in here. I have my gaming computer, a racing simulator, NAS Servers / network rack and all sorts of other things I would rather not corrode. Is it possible through air filtration or maybe de-humidification to remove the salt in the air and prevent rust / oxidation?
As long as the electronics are away from the tank, salt won’t get on them. However, moisture can. I have a tv in my Reef Cave that I have to replace the remote control board every two years from the humidity. I have over 400 gallons of water volume in my room for comparison. I suggest a good dehumidifier if required, but a 20 gallon tank shouldn’t add too much humidity.
 
Like others have said, salt doesn't evaporate. Near the ocean the air is salty because of the sea spray. So, if you have lots of bubbles popping salt can go airborne. Just try to keep air bubbles down, and try to keep electronics a few feet away. :)
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 1 33.3%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new