Is it to early for a bubble tip anemone?

  • Thread starter Thread starter jadedog
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

jadedog

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 20, 2025
Messages
382
Reaction score
206
Location
USA
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had my tank cycled up and running for close to two months. It’s currently stocked with two clowns and a cleaner shrimp. I’ve yet to go through the ugly stage but if all my parameters are in check could I get a cheap BTA and see how it does? If it’s very likely to die ill just wait it out. Does anyone have experience putting coral in a newly established tank? Thanks!
 
When you set up your tank, did you use live rock and sand or dry? If you used live, I’d say give it a shot. If not though, I’d wait another three or four months before trying. You could add some hardy soft corals between now and then though!
 
When you set up your tank, did you use live rock and sand or dry? If you used live, I’d say give it a shot. If not though, I’d wait another three or four months before trying. You could add some hardy soft corals between now and then though!
I used dry rock and dry sand. I’ll look into some hardly soft corals thank you!!
 
Personally I had a RBTA in my tank inside 30days of getting it wet.

CaribSea LifeRock and Sand

No ugly phase (although I have diatoms now)

The nem seems ok. Generally happy but not the short and tight bubbles you see in pictures.

It can be done. But generally not the most advised choice
 
Fresh tank, mainly dead rock, added rbta's 1 week later, few months later the rbta's have taken over. Basically rbta's are some of the easiest creatures to care for. To guarantee health, feed them, give them nitrates/phosphates. Don't worry too much about the other parameters, they don't seem to care as they are 100% squishy bodied.
 
I’ve had my tank cycled up and running for close to two months. It’s currently stocked with two clowns and a cleaner shrimp. I’ve yet to go through the ugly stage but if all my parameters are in check could I get a cheap BTA and see how it does? If it’s very likely to die ill just wait it out. Does anyone have experience putting coral in a newly established tank? Thanks!
What size of aquarium?
Put a cheap ugly nem in and like @Entity77 mentioned you can have a tank full of them in a few months and no one will want any of them.
 
While bubbletips are generally easy, I would recommend you wait until after the ugly stage to put one in. That way you're not fighting dinos (which can release irritants for corals and anemones) and diatoms.

Less things going on at once in a tank will result in a much higher success rate, especially if the tank is on the smaller side. Almost nothing good comes from going too quick/eagerly in this hobby.
 
I used dry rock and dry sand. I’ll look into some hardly soft corals thank you!!
Go for it! Depending on where you’re located, I might be able to help you out and give you some starter corals and a nem when your tank is ready, feel free to reach out!
 
Go for it! Depending on where you’re located, I might be able to help you out and give you some starter corals and a nem when your tank is ready, feel free to reach out!
I’m in Delaware and I actually I went out a bought a zoa and a torch yesterday. I’m hopeful for them but I understand there a chance they won’t make it. They have been in the tank for like 18 hours are there open so we will see what happens lol. My parameters are good and I think diatoms are beginning to form on my sand bed so I’m going to order some snails and copepods before it gets out of hand.
 
I’m in Delaware and I actually I went out a bought a zoa and a torch yesterday. I’m hopeful for them but I understand there a chance they won’t make it. They have been in the tank for like 18 hours are there open so we will see what happens lol. My parameters are good and I think diatoms are beginning to form on my sand bed so I’m going to order some snails and copepods before it gets out of hand.
 

Attachments

  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 51
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 59
I’m in Delaware and I actually I went out a bought a zoa and a torch yesterday. I’m hopeful for them but I understand there a chance they won’t make it. They have been in the tank for like 18 hours are there open so we will see what happens lol. My parameters are good and I think diatoms are beginning to form on my sand bed so I’m going to order some snails and copepods before it gets out of hand.
Where in Delaware? I’m a bit north of Baltimore over in Maryland! Torch looks awesome, I think the second coral is a Micromussa tho, not zoas.
 
I’m in pike creek Delaware. I think your right I can’t believe I made that mistake 🤦‍♂️. Hopefully it’s somewhat hardy ill have to do some more research.
 
You’re new to the hobby! It’s hard to learn how to identify all the different corals for somewhat experienced hobbyists, so don’t worry about getting things wrong occasionally. How’re your corals doing? If you think they’re doing well and seem to be happy and growing, and still want an anemone, come on down to Lutherville and I’ll get you a rainbow bubble tip, lord knows I’ve got way too many!
 
You’re new to the hobby! It’s hard to learn how to identify all the different corals for somewhat experienced hobbyists, so don’t worry about getting things wrong occasionally. How’re your corals doing? If you think they’re doing well and seem to be happy and growing, and still want an anemone, come on down to Lutherville and I’ll get you a rainbow bubble tip, lord knows I’ve got way too many!
Thank you man appreciate the offer! I think there doing good I'll attach some pics. I was thinking about ordering some zoas soon but I'll know for sure not to get a micro mussa thing time lol!
 

Attachments

  • 20250712_180756.jpg
    20250712_180756.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 35
  • 20250712_181256.jpg
    20250712_181256.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 31

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 28.6%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 10 35.7%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 21.4%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 8 28.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 7 25.0%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 32.1%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 6 21.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new