Is Mochi breathing too hard? I'm worried...

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was not exposed to air at all.we used the same sg as the bag he came in and 5 gallons from the same tank he was in at my lfs....

If those 2 things check out, then your water quality is what needs to be confirmed. If your water quality checks out, then the experience of transport and acclimated may have triggered an issue you may never figure out.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
check ammonia asap.

OP
OP
Michelesreef

Michelesreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could it be because he is so small he is having trouble with bouyancy? He was in less than a gallon holding tank for a week until we got him

OP
OP
Michelesreef

Michelesreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We did a gallon water change today but we don't have anything to check ammonia they're all broken and it's 10 o'clock at night so if he isn't in fishy heaven by morning I'll go to the store first thing...

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could it be because he is so small he is having trouble with bouyancy? He was in less than a gallon holding tank for a week until we got him

The bouyancy issue is usually caused by gulping air or over feeding. It would take much longer than 26 hrs for over feeding to cause a problem.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We did a gallon water change today but we don't have anything to check ammonia they're all broken and it's 10 o'clock at night so if he isn't in fishy heaven by morning I'll go to the store first thing...

It wouldn't hurt to do more water changes, just do 10-20% at a time. nothing big.

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
added oxygen to water couldn't hurt till morn also.

OP
OP
Michelesreef

Michelesreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE (kind of...)
- Just got to work, my boss has a 250 gallon fish tank so I am borrowing supplies..
Mochi is in the same spot, hasn't moved, and I'm borrowing my boss's Red Sea Ammonia Test Kit and Seachem's AmGuard..
Headed home now to test and possibly add the AmGuard.
--My husband insists that all the parameters are perfectly fine. He did not test ammonia yesterday but seems to think that because the nitrates/nitrites are where they are that the problem isn't the ammonia. I, on the other hand, would rather be safe than sorry.
--Also, we have 2 very small but powerful pumps...1 is turned off and pretty much the entire tank has flow. But should I add an air stone? How do I know if there is too much oxygen??

Thoughts??

(More updates to come....)

OP
OP
Michelesreef

Michelesreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone!
So I got my dream fish; Mochi. :)
He's a baby frogfish and he is doing fine...I think..? I know they breathe "harder" than other fish...but I attached a video...can anyone tell me if he is breathing TOO hard??
Note: he did eat a shrimp yesterday....
omg was trying to edit "baby daddy frogfish" and idk how to delete now...oh well...please disregard this edit.....

OP
OP
Michelesreef

Michelesreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just found a bottle of Seachem's 'Prime' - "Concentrated Conditioner for Marine & Freshwater - Removes Chlorine & Cloramine - Detoxifies Ammonia, Nitrite & Nitrates - Provides Slime Coat..."

Good? Bad? Help??

I am so so worried.

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
what is ammonia level?

OP
OP
Michelesreef

Michelesreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks pretty low to me...

Attachments

• USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1622561526467_6805516300708368496.jpeg
    USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1622561526467_6805516300708368496.jpeg
    101.7 KB · Views: 33

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An angler's normal breathing is very still, so much so, you'll usually look closely to see if they are still alive. If all of the 3 points I made checks out, and the ammonia does look zero, I wouldn't get my hopes up. Anglers have a very high mortality rate, and once an issue arises, survival is very rare.

OP
OP
Michelesreef

Michelesreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An angler's normal breathing is very still, so much so, you'll usually look closely to see if they are still alive. If all of the 3 points I made checks out, and the ammonia does look zero, I wouldn't get my hopes up. Anglers have a very high mortality rate, and once an issue arises, survival is very rare.
Poor Mochi :( :( :(

OP
OP
Michelesreef

Michelesreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He seemed to be perfectly fine when we got him in the tank. He was making laps and even ate a shrimp..it wasn't until he ate the shrimp that he started acting like this...
Now, he hasn't moved since I got home around 6pm yesterday. :(

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 100 75.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back