Is my anemone dying

BroRod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well let's just hope he has the right stuff. It's stressful learning things the hard way. It may be beneficial for him to seek out a new LFS if they are misguiding him in any way as well.

OP
OP
M

mgsr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I get home from work I will get more info on here for all you

ReeferRookie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its possible for a cycle to start in a few weeks to be honest. 7 weeks isnt bad. And better then most people.

OP
OP
M

mgsr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok here is a couple pics of my light not sure on brand or type once again my LFS told me this is the one. Also have two protein scimmer one hang on and one in a wet dry filter system.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1412197259214.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1412197259214.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 138
  • uploadfromtaptalk1412197279816.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1412197279816.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 130
  • uploadfromtaptalk1412197298063.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1412197298063.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 146
  • uploadfromtaptalk1412197315571.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1412197315571.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 138
OP
OP
M

mgsr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also forgot to add is that I bought the tank and live rock used so the live rock and other rock is used

ReeferRookie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. For the choice of substrate i didnt expect a setup like that. Im gonna go. Ahead and say he might still be alright

OP
OP
M

mgsr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I want to try to do this right I was told that substrate was good because easier to take care of. But with that said if sand is better then I will do so but already have fish how hard and how to go to sand without harming fish.

BroRod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pic of the light isn't showing on my end. But agreed. That's a pretty decent setup. Definitely swap the substrate out for sand. Bare bottom is clean looking however your lack of bio filtering may handicap future endeavors

BroRod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh there we go looks a lot like a marine land LED or solarflare style. How many bulbs / wattage per is good to know as well.

After seeing the setup the only concern is obviously length of cycling however chances are it'll be fine. Just let him settle I'm without messing with him too much. Or as an attempt, place him need the middle to top closer to the light without any flow so he won't blow off the rock and allow his foot to plant down. Then try feeding him in 3-4 days.

OP
OP
M

mgsr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If he does die will it effect my tank I was told he will let of poisons if he dies and I could lose everything in my tank if I dont get out r ealley fast

BroRod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If he does die will it effect my tank I was told he will let of poisons if he dies and I could lose everything in my tank if I dont get out r ealley fast
Negative. But it will likely spike your ammonia to an unsafe level. So keep an eye on him and the moment you notice either him no longer sticking with his foot or reacting to touch and lastly melting away either quarantine him or bid farewell.

OP
OP
M

mgsr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got him three day looked good (as much as I know) 4 day came home from work and that's how he was. First day moved a little found spot and stayed there

fishroomlady

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok, that helps at least me a lot to better gauge the health at this point. Others have made good points in terms of the substrate and lighting.....I think it would be very beneficial for you to do some reading on anemone care - general reef keeping - that will help you know better what your animals need...you can never read and learn enough in this hobby. Anemones will take some time to acclimate to your tank - it's not uncommon for them to move around the tank before they foot somewhere that is to their liking in terms of lighting and flow. Your anemone has good color on the foot and tentacles look ok (it's not uncommon for them to inflate and deflate as they acclimate). You'll want to keep an eye on the mouth and as long as it stays tight and closed and the color is good, it's ok. When the mouth starts to gape and stay open and you may even see where it appears to be turning inside out, tentacles deflate, failure to root after a good stretch of time (a week to two weeks) it may root and then move again - that doesn't count :) then you'll see that it is obviously on the decline. It won't release a poison (to my knowledge) but it will foul the tank if it slowly disintegrates and that can cause problems to your tank so that is the time to remove it. You can google some pictures of dying anemones to get a feel for the look. HTH - welcome to the hobby!

ReeferRookie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok, that helps at least me a lot to better gauge the health at this point. Others have made good points in terms of the substrate and lighting.....I think it would be very beneficial for you to do some reading on anemone care - general reef keeping - that will help you know better what your animals need...you can never read and learn enough in this hobby. Anemones will take some time to acclimate to your tank - it's not uncommon for them to move around the tank before they foot somewhere that is to their liking in terms of lighting and flow. Your anemone has good color on the foot and tentacles look ok (it's not uncommon for them to inflate and deflate as they acclimate). You'll want to keep an eye on the mouth and as long as it stays tight and closed and the color is good, it's ok. When the mouth starts to gape and stay open and you may even see where it appears to be turning inside out, tentacles deflate, failure to root after a good stretch of time (a week to two weeks) it may root and then move again - that doesn't count :) then you'll see that it is obviously on the decline. It won't release a poison (to my knowledge) but it will foul the tank if it slowly disintegrates and that can cause problems to your tank so that is the time to remove it. You can google some pictures of dying anemones to get a feel for the look. HTH - welcome to the hobby!
+1. And take her advise when i first joined i learned alot from her.

OP
OP
M

mgsr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dud you see the pics of my light is that not good enough or do I need something different

OP
OP
M

mgsr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great didn't really want to buy another one

Back