is my anemone dying

nanonøkk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok so i have an anemone in my tank it’s been in the tank for 4 days it eats healthy and everything but my question is that at night why has it been shrinking up with it’s mouth open because in the morning it is looking happy and puffed up and i feed it little scraps of food that i feed everything else during the day but at night it looks like it’s expelling something and this went on for a while last night like hours so should i treat it or is it just mad and also would it have to do with me dosing 10 ml of hydrogen peroxide every night to help kill of the remaining green hair algae i’ll post a picture of it during the day plus the night ones

image.jpg F9FD4145-19E7-4B04-9585-35553E0F2E88.jpeg 579AA853-B680-46B2-A177-075B6DA33F32.jpeg

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok so i have an anemone in my tank it’s been in the tank for 4 days it eats healthy and everything but my question is that at night why has it been shrinking up with it’s mouth open because in the morning it is looking happy and puffed up and i feed it little scraps of food that i feed everything else during the day but at night it looks like it’s expelling something and this went on for a while last night like hours so should i treat it or is it just mad and also would it have to do with me dosing 10 ml of hydrogen peroxide every night to help kill of the remaining green hair algae i’ll post a picture of it during the day plus the night ones

image.jpg F9FD4145-19E7-4B04-9585-35553E0F2E88.jpeg 579AA853-B680-46B2-A177-075B6DA33F32.jpeg
It looks to be pooping or taking a giant duce dropping Bomb. at night. You don't need to feed them daily. It will grab stuff out of the water column

Last edited:

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anemone's like coral also use photosynthesis.

Most Anemones will close at night. It's not that they're dying, it's just a thing they do.

My Carpet Nem will often go in the shade as well and then come back out sometimes. They're strange creatures, they're alive and have a mind of their own.

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks to be pooping or taking a giant duce dripping. Bimb. at night. You don't need to feed them daily. It will grab stuff out of the water colum.
+1 dont feed them daily. Spot feed maybe once or twice a week. They will get food from your clowns as well, your clowns actually go scavenge for food for him.

OP
OP
nanonøkk

nanonøkk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks to be pooping or taking a giant duce dripping. Bimb. at night. You don't need to feed them daily. It will grab stuff out of the water colum.
ok so i should skip out on the really small feedings and do one really big one every week or two big ones every week

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok so i should skip out on the really small feedings and do one really big one every week or two big ones every week
define "really big".

Just a 4-5 small pieces no bigger than 4 or 5mm will be a good feeding once a week is fine, twice if you want to.

Again your clowns are also working to feed him.

OP
OP
nanonøkk

nanonøkk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anemone's like coral also use photosynthesis.

Most Anemones will close at night. It's not that they're dying, it's just a thing they do.

My Carpet Nem will often go in the shade as well and then come back out sometimes. They're strange creatures, they're alive and have a mind of their own.
ok i was just wondering i’ll do two feedings per week is that a good thing or should i do a different thing for feeding

OP
OP
nanonøkk

nanonøkk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
define "really big".

Just a 4-5 small pieces no bigger than 4 or 5mm will be a good feeding once a week is fine, twice if you want to.

Again your clowns are also working to feed him.
like a piece of a prawn i’ve been feeding him small bits of mysis and like a small tiny pellets that land on it during feeding

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your clowns arnt feeding a small feeding a week. I don't feed any of mine. The clown grabs and feeds the nems.

The nem will go to the spot where it can feed light and flow. Feedings arnt really needed.

OP
OP
nanonøkk

nanonøkk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your clowns arnt feeding a small feeding a week. I don't feed any of mine. The clown grabs and feeds the nems.

The nem will go to the spot where it can feed light and flow. Feedings arnt really needed.
ok and mine hasn’t moved it been sitting in one spot since i put it in the tank and my clownfish dosent feed it

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok and mine hasn’t moved it been sitting in one spot since i put it in the tank and my clownfish dosent feed it
If you want small feedings once a week. If your broadcasting food it will get some. One can feed too much.

OP
OP
nanonøkk

nanonøkk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want small feedings once a week. If your broadcasting food it will get some. One can feed too much.
yea that’s why i stop broadcasting and i started target feeding and i feed my clownfish over top of the anemone so if he misses a pellet the anemone gets it

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yea that’s why i stop broadcasting and i started target feeding and i feed my clownfish over top of the anemone so if he misses a pellet the anemone gets it
If the clowns are hosting they are feeding. The groom, defend, and protect the nem. I woudnt worry about feeding. Its also a great way to get bitten

OP
OP
nanonøkk

nanonøkk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the clowns are hosting they are feeding. The groom, defend, and protect the nem. I woudnt worry about feeding. Its also a great way to get bitten
yea my clown bites me till i feed him because i don’t have a turkey baster and i use a small syringe to feed all my corals and then i drop like 10 pellets for my clownfish and the the anemone gets the ones that fall on it which is like one to two of them plus like one or two mysis shrimp that are left over

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yea my clown bites me till i feed him because i don’t have a turkey baster and i use a small syringe to feed all my corals and then i drop like 10 pellets for my clownfish and the the anemone gets the ones that fall on it which is like one to two of them plus like one or two mysis shrimp that are left over
I wouldn't worry about target feeding the nem. Sounds like it is getting enough

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my lightning maroon feeds mine

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 69 30.1%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 64 27.9%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 49 21.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 45 19.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back